SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Questions....... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/201681-questions.html)

almay777 05-24-2010 06:37 AM

Questions.......

Has anyone ever noticed the following as a result of drinking?
- hair going quite thin and falling out
- a dull look in the eyes
- dry skin (especially on the face).
My eyes used to be really bright and my hair was very thick. Now my eyes are dull and my hair is thin and a lot shorter, despite never having it cut. I am only on day 4 without a drink but wondered how long it takes your body to recover so it notices when you look in the mirrior :-(

jsm 05-24-2010 06:45 AM

You may want to have your thryroid checked as these are symptoms of thryoid issues.

Anna 05-24-2010 06:51 AM

Alcohol destroys us physically, mentally and spiritually.

Please check with your dr and get his advice.

almay777 05-24-2010 06:53 AM

No thryoid issues. Just wondered if anyone else had experianced stuff like this.

Lolajames 05-24-2010 07:02 AM

yep, dry skin, dull eyes. i think that's pretty common?

Norther 05-24-2010 07:03 AM

Drinking a lot of alcohol is unhealthy. I assume it affects everything: skin, eyes, brain: you name it.

almay777 05-24-2010 07:10 AM

How long does it take before you start to notice a significant difference in the mirror? I just want to look normal and healthy again :-(
I know I am only on day 4...... feeling a bit down at the moment. Really hope I can do this.

Anna 05-24-2010 07:30 AM

Almay,

It's understandable that you have these concerns, but there is no set timing.

Alcohol affects different people in different ways.

For me, I drank a lot for a few years, so I didn't see immediate improvement. Try to be patient.

And, know that you can do this.

Taking5 05-24-2010 07:30 AM

One day at time Almay, it really does get better.

When I sobered up the last time I spent 4 days in bed, literally. I could not walk due to alcoholic neuropathy (google it if you want a good scare) and gout. I also experienced thinning hair, dry skin and discolored eyes. They all were gone within a few weeks, although I still have the occasional gout attack.

As far as when? Who knows, we are all different ages sizes, consumption levels, some are multi-drug abusers, etc.

Alcohol affects every system in our body, so just go see your Dr. I know in my case it gave me tons of peace of mind and another person to answer to (as in follow up visits) to help keep me sober.

And keep posting here.

Good luck.

almay777 05-24-2010 08:05 AM

Thank-you for all your responses. I guess I just thought I have stopped, so why do I still feel and look bad? (yes I am female which does equal impatience:c021:) I guess I will just have to be strong and wait. I really really want to do this and know I will only be letting myself down if I don't.

lauraandersen4 05-24-2010 08:13 AM

Yeah... maybe some of it is alcohol related, maybe all, maybe there is something else altogether going on. If you are concerned, maybe you should get checked out.

I do know looking back at pics where I thought I looked pretty good... from my drinking time I had dark circles under my eyes and I looked almost glossed over. I wasn't overweight, but despite losing even more weight during these few years, my face looked puffier (took about 2 weeks until I saw a difference)... Everyone is different I'm sure... and I'm sure you are more sensitive to it than others.

smacked 05-24-2010 08:25 AM

I felt and looked pretty good after 6 months..even better at a year. I drank for a long time, lots of healing to do. I've heard a year for physical recovery, but of course that varies.

Fritz66 05-24-2010 08:33 AM

Yes - My hair starting falling out over a peroid of 4 months and my skin and lips extremely dry and flaky - It does not turn around over night - but it does get better over time.... It took about 6 months for my hair come back... Be sure to drink plenty of water!

almay777 05-24-2010 08:41 AM

Thanks Fritz I thought I was the only one who had this stuff going on. I will keep my fingers crossed that I stay sober for this.

Toronto68 05-24-2010 08:42 AM

Almay, I think alcohol can do all of those things. I know what you mean about wanting to see good results pronto, that is human nature. It's also part of the excuses we make before we quit drinking (will take too long and it's not THAT bad, so it's OK to drink, etc). I didn't let that machinery work in my head when I quit; I quit and told myself I didn't care if I was goodlooking anymore - and that chances are, I would wind up more appealing without alcohol than with it.

I took a snapshot of myself in the mirror after 2 or 3 months of no drinking because I wanted to compare it with a year ago. So-so was my feeling about it. Then the other day someone sent me some shots from very recently and I felt kind of disappointed that I looked sick or run down at more than 6 months. (And I have been a lot better in my habits overall, and not just being sober.) Probably the best thing - that I can't cut down out of being self-critical or vain - is that there is more life in my eyes now than when I was drinking.

If you are like me, your opinion about yourself will vary. I would stick with the go-forward thinking and stay optimistic and let natural results do their thing. And allow a healthy inside (health as well as outlook) to extend outward with time.

artsoul 05-24-2010 08:45 AM

Hi Almay - had the thinning hair and drying skin big time. I've been loading up on B vitamins and drinking water/tea/juice etc. and I've already see a dramatic change after 3 1/2 weeks....... hope that helps!

almay777 05-24-2010 08:57 AM

Thanks Art Soul. Am drinking lots of water and taking multi vitamins so hopefully this will help.

Fandy 05-24-2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Fritz66 (Post 2606302)
Yes - My hair starting falling out over a peroid of 4 months and my skin and lips extremely dry and flaky - It does not turn around over night - but it does get better over time.... It took about 6 months for my hair come back... Be sure to drink plenty of water!

I experienced the same symptoms....my hairdresser was the first to point it out to me...he could not cut my hair into layers because there was not enough.

I started eating a protein rich diet, good vegetables, eggs....I take an easily digestable multi-vitamin, b-complex, biotin and liver anti-oxidants....I switched to a non-sulfate shampoo and deep conditioner (i use Ojon)

3 months later I'm thrilled to report that my hair is growing back, my skin and face are much less red, puffy and my BP is almost normal...I am on 1/2 the meds and even able to go off my HRT. you will look better and better every day, I promise....stay hydrated, pay attention to what you are eating and get a check-up...your doctor can order blood work and then you can repeat it in 3-4 months...you will be amazed at the difference if you stick with it.

and if I can do this anyone can...we have ALL had a "Day 4"

Taking5 05-24-2010 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by almay777 (Post 2606281)
(yes I am female which does equal impatience:c021:)

I disagree. You are alcoholic which equals impatience.

Dee74 05-24-2010 03:27 PM

Hi Almay

If you're like me you drank for years - 4 days against that is not much.
I know patience is not opur strongsuit, but give your body a chance to heal :)

D