Notices

umpteenth attempt to quit

Old 06-07-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hey there brit,glad you took a step and came to sr looking for support.im a york girl myself.
im with a few others on this one about AA.i tried many times too to stop on my own,it wasnt stopping the that was the problem until the end,it was staying stopped,and then i just couldnt stop at all.
i got to AA after few false starts again at the begining of last year,there really is a solution to your dilemma,i and many thousands of others are walking,breathing proof of this.i never think of drink anymore and the place that you are in right now i could almost feel it,that used to be me.
not today.i have been shown a way of living where it is not only no longer necessary to drink but is infinately better than i could have ever imagined.i have peace and serenity,contentment.
have you thought about giving AA a try? what have you got to loose?
keep us posted.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back brit.
Looking back at your first post you have some pretty good reasons for quitting.

Obviously doing it on your own is not getting you where you want to be.

I really encourage you to look at other options now - keep psoting here more often but also look at things like AA or some other recovery programme, counselling, inpatient or outpatient rehab...

here's some links you may like to read and perhaps follow up

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

You know it as well as I do - you deserve better and so does you son and family Brit.

D
Old 06-07-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Brit,

I'm about the same age as you are, in Liverpool and feeling your pain.

I've been trying to quit for years - even had some long periods of abstinence - and have finally come to believe that I will never get sober alone. Nothing, NOTHING I tried gave me any real sobriety or any peace in my head.

Can you get to an AA meeting? With all my heart I hope you do. I'm still very much a newcomer to it but have now met dozens of people with darker stories than yours or mine returned to health and happiness - IT WORKS.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi guys.... thanks for all being so supportive. I have tried AA before and I felt mixed feelings towards it... it really helped with my drinking i must admit, but there were people there with drug issues like mine and i just ended up getting wasted with them, which was bad in two ways... I cant take drugs any more, and I felt bad about spoiling other peoples recovery.

I stopped taking class A drugs a few years ago, and now I kind of live in a bubble surrounded by no drugs, and i would like to stay there. Alcohol WAS the least of my problems back then though, but its rapidly escalating to the top of my list.

I threw away some beer last night and have vowed to stay quit... I will make you all a deal and stay in contact and if I mess up this time (which i wont, Im determined) I will look at going back to AA. My analyst told me my weed smoking and drinking are affecting my therapy yesterday, and I cant afford to waste any time there, so ive go to do it.

Im also worried about my girlfriend thinking im bad or a loser for having to go to meetings....i dont know, i feel pretty lost actually. Maybe im just making excuses to avoid stopping??
Old 06-08-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

if you are willing to do anything to quit that dosnt make you a loser.
usually if i have to ask myself questions like the one you asked at the end of your post then the answer is yes.
try lots of different meetings and find one that sticks to AA's primary purpose.which is to help alcoholics to achieve sobriety,im sure they are out there.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Charmie. I LIKED the meetings, I dunno... Im just not good with 'nice' people... and everyone was so 'nice'... it makes me feel like im bad or something, being with nice people. Ive spent so much of my life being bad. If that makes sense??
Old 06-08-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

thats what i thought too brit,i believed i was quiet evil.since getting sober and getting on the 12 step recovery programme i have learned i was not a bad person but just gravley ill.sounds like a cop out eh? and oh so easy for someone whos been sober a few months to say............its the truth.i did some things i thought i would take to the grave with me brit.but i am free of them today,i walk this earth a free woman and can look people in the eye.i truely am someone today that i never thought i could be.
you can read my story and many others too in the stories of recovery section,there are miracles of recovery all around.........do you want to be one?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to have a lot of self loathing and feelings of worthlessness too Brit.

It was quite amazing to me to find how much that was tied in to my drinking, and just how much my perceptions shifted when I stopped drinking

D
Old 06-08-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
(((Brit28))) - welcome to SR!!

Though a precious 3-month old baby is a good reason to want to stay alive, getting sober needs to be something you want to do for you.

Amy
I believe any reason to stop is a good one. Being alive for your baby is for you. Just remind yourself of that. Now if you are trying to stop drinking in order to prevent the loss of a girlfriend or something it is different. It will only give you a reason to go back if she leaves anyway. A child is there for life - so you might as well work on getting your life together so things are better for everyone involved. I believe external motivators can work very well. Everything we do in life connects back to "you" anyway. Sometimes doing something for the sake of others gets us to the point where we can care about ourselves again.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Guys!!!!

Hope youre all doing well.

Well, Im four days into my millionth quit, and Im feeling like this is the one. Im not going to drink over the weekend, no way, and if i can do the first weekend im home free.

I just know im doing with that evil nasty stuff now. I missed my therapy Monday because I got so wasted Sunday last week, which I cant afford to do... so thats given me a good boost.

Also getting bad pains in my neck and jaw, which i always do when im hitting it heavy, so its deof time to quit....

Speak to you all next week.

Lots of love.

Ben X
Old 06-18-2010, 03:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you considered seeing a Dr, Brit?

D
Old 06-19-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi D

Yeah I see docs about all of it...without explicitly telling them how much i drink, but ive had my heart tested and its ok, as is my cholesterol. My blood pressure is bad, thats the only thing.

The pains in my neck/jaw are an enigma to me and the docs, except for the saliva glands under my jaw get really big when im drinking... they get very tender and the pain radiates out from there. This is usually what makes me quit (and usually what leads me in to drinking again, when it feels better - thats a big part of my cycle).

Well, its saturda night and i havent drunk...its great. I just fed my baby, and im sat looking at her with food down her front looking beautiful.

I actually feel positive. (few sweats but nothing major!!)

B x
Old 06-19-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

That jaw thing sounds painful....I grind my teeth and the pain sometimes is pretty full on.

I think it's pretty important to be honest with our doctors - if they don't know the full story, they can't do much to help, ya know?

I'm glad you're having a good sober Saturday night tho, Brit
Enjoy it!

D