SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Its my 5th Birthday! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/201483-its-my-5th-birthday.html)

nogard 05-20-2010 07:36 PM

Its my 5th Birthday!

Today is my 5th Anniversary, I awoke at 7:30 and since then (its 11:30am now) I have been inundated with messages of love.

I remember this day 5 years ago so clearly. I awoke lying on the floor, wet, dirty, smelly, living in a half built house with no sewage no internal walls, no running water miles and miles from anyone else and here is the kicker I thought I was doing ok! Go figure.

This Morning 5 years ago was the end of my 11 year relapse from alcohol, the drug that I was sure was not a drug and was also sure I could manage. I had drunk through a TIA (small stroke) drunk a successful business drunk my relationships all of them including the one with my daughter, drunk my house and my work although I lost them later on.

As I reached for the codeine and coffee, I thought no not again and instead picked up the phone spent over an hour talking to a member and then found an Sober Recovery. I am still here today after 5 lovely years.

Every morning in the last 5 years has started with my spiritual ritual and in there I write a gratitude list as that’s what am most consistently grateful to be out of that walking dead nightmare of a cycle of addiction.

I do a lot of NA meetings still; I work the 12 steps as prescribed in our literature and have a strong friendship with my sponsor and a few other members. Best of all though is that I have never felt alone since day one (get goose bumps as I write this) as I know see that on that day I opened my heart to my spiritual life and became connected with a mysterious power far greater than me and that continues today and continues to grow.

I know that many types of recovery work and they all seem to have at least one thing in common which is addicts helping other addicts.
I went from walking in the shadows and living in hatred to being bathed in sunlight and feeling love in my heart.

One day at a time we get sick and one day at a time we get well, never give up, we are surrounded by the best solution for us.

Kevin

24hrsAday 05-20-2010 07:48 PM

Outstanding Kevin.. Congratulations on 5 Big Ones!!!

Ghostly 05-20-2010 07:50 PM

Congratulations Kevin!! Thank you for that inspirational post. I know I speak for many of us when I write that I hope I can reach your milestone. With the help of God I will.

yeahgr8 05-20-2010 07:57 PM

Fantastic!

:day

Sneezy 05-20-2010 08:01 PM

(((Kevin)))

So, so happy for your amazing five years of recovery. I love to read your posts in the gratitude forum -- full of life, humor, and compassion!

Congratulations and here's to the next 5!!!!

:ring :bbj: :dance3:

Horselover 05-20-2010 08:03 PM

Congratulations Kev. You are an inspiration. :) Hugs - Sarah

least 05-20-2010 08:46 PM

Big congrats and :ghug3 on your birthday!! :) Love ya Kev!

CAPTAINZING2000 05-20-2010 08:56 PM

grats to you Kevin

you've been a great member on here these past few years.

Wishing you many more years to come

Kmber2010 05-20-2010 09:00 PM

Thank you Kevin for sharing your inspiring story of sobriety with us. You are a shining example that sobriety is possible and how we need to embrace our recovery.

Reading your post has me reflecting on my dark days controlled by alcohol and for how much I am grateful for.

God Bless my friend.

nogard 05-20-2010 09:03 PM

Thanks Cap'n :) great being here with you :)

HumbleBee 05-20-2010 09:08 PM

Congratulations, Kevin!

What a heartfelt post; filled with such gratitude and humility...thank you.

You're an inspiration to this wonderful SR fellowship, that although unseen with our eyes, is shared more deeply through our hearts and spirit.

Way to go ~ :c011:

Lenina 05-20-2010 09:40 PM

((((Kev)))

I'm so happy for you! Congrats and thanks for all you contribute to our sober lives!

Much love,

Lenina

Time2Surrender 05-20-2010 10:11 PM

5 years!!!! Wow times flies. Does that include weekends and holidays Kevin? :) JK bro, happy birthday. I remember when you first came here. Yes, time flies. :) Congrats

NewBeginning010 05-20-2010 10:12 PM

So happy for you Kevin :scoregood five years is an amazing achievement, you have come so far.

Your constant upkeep of the guest thread has helped many new members to get up the courage to make that tough first post... great service work!

Congratutaions & all of the best for your future :ring

Cheers,

NB

CarolD 05-20-2010 10:15 PM

:birthday

nogard 05-20-2010 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender (Post 2603895)
5 years!!!! Wow times flies. Does that include weekends and holidays Kevin? :) JK bro, happy birthday. I remember when you first came here. Yes, time flies. :) Congrats

Hey TS, Thanks and yes it includes every day but I can't find the pension scheme....

How you been?

Kevin

MariahG 05-21-2010 01:32 AM

You're such an inspiration! You deserve the best! :scoregood

Bard 05-21-2010 01:38 AM

Congrats! A very inspiring story! Makes me look forward to the day i can tell my own 5 year story and beyond!

I say it's time to find your favorite restraunt and feast like a king! You deserve it!

:bbq

Rusty Zipper 05-21-2010 03:06 AM

congratulations kevbro

it took five years to get your marbles back,

now another five to learn what to do with them! lol

love you recovery brother!

http://www.picklepapers.net/images/s...arbles_bag.jpg

Reubena 05-21-2010 03:49 AM

Wonderful to read this! Huge congrats to you :)