Notices

Medical Detox Question

Old 05-23-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medical Detox Question

Hey, I am new here, 22 years old and have been drinking way to much for about 4 years, every night for the last 2. I have made the decision to seek medical help because I am fortunate enough to have that option and have scared the **** out of myself by reading about what can happen due to alcohol withdrawls if not appropriately dealt with. Self diagnosing my alcoholism two years ago has caused me to end up where I am today, and I know it's now or never. I was wondering what it is I should expect when I visit the doctor tomorrow and for the days to come in the week(s) ahead. Thank you.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi TFAN

I don't know what your Dr will say to you, but I do know you're taking a good step. You're to be congratulated...most of us here have faced the fear, fronted up to the Dr, and found it a fairly painless experience

Likewise many detoxes are different too. We have a thread here of people's experiences - read it by all means but please keep in mind your mileage may vary

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome to SR
D
Old 05-23-2010, 09:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't answer your question but I am going to the doctor tomorrow as well. It is time for change in my life.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Seeing the doctor for help in getting thru detox is a wise move. Medical help can be given to make withdrawal easier and safer. Once you're sober do you have a plan in mind to help you stay sober? Members here have many ways of staying sober. Some use AA, some use other recovery programs, some go to counseling, some use only SR, and some use a combination of these things.

I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking. Living sober is it's own reward. No more shame or sickness or self loathing. No more risk from drinking, to your health or otherwise. No more wasted money or time.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too Kaz - good to see another Aussie

I wish you both well - come back and give us an update, ok?

D
Old 05-24-2010, 12:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good to have you with us for this fight... It's worth it ;-)
Old 05-24-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The best thing I can say (as a former RN) is be honest. A good dr. won't judge you (if he does, find another dr.!) but he/she can't HELP you if you're not honest. They will normally draw blood work, to get a "baseline" of how your liver is functioning and it also tells them other things about how things are going on in your body. They'll probably do a routine physical and talk to you.

Nothing to be scared of, really. Having a good dr. that you can talk to? Priceless. Mine knows ALL about my addiction and has been an ally since day 1.

Good luck...please DO keep us posted, as a lot of people wonder the same thing, here.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-24-2010, 05:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome, what a smart move to see the doc and do this safely!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi TFan - once you get through this, you will thank yourself everyday. Since getting sober several weeks ago, I just wish I hadn't put it off for so long. You're doing all the right stuff and I wish you the best. Stick around - there's alot of us getting through this together!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Focus

Very good you are seeing a doctor about this. Given that you are so young, and that severe withdrawal is more common over 40 years of age and those who have been heavy drinkers for 10+ yrs, you may be happier with the conclusion than you think. Always smart to check with your doctor.

At any rate congrats on this decision. My MD offered me tranquilizers while I was going through withdrawal but I refused them which made it difficult but the shaking that went on, the nightmares and the sleeplessness all fell during a time when I was on break from clinic.

Now I'm on Naltrexone ... if you find you are craving, I would recommend this drug if you are serious about quitting. It didn't work when I took it at 7AM (more of an afternoon craver) but it sure did when I used it at 2PM... anything to help you early on is good IMO.

Good luck with this! Let us know what happens at the doctors.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes: be honest with the doctor, something I found hard to do after a lifetime of hiding the real nature and extent of my drinking from myself and from everybody else.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Going in today at 4pm, about 3 hours from now....kind of scared and dont know what to expect...
Old 05-24-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Focus

You are soooo young... You'll be fine.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Medical detox question.....

Hi TFANC52,

I had a medical detox in 1988 but was put into the hospital to do it. They gave me Librium injections the first three days & pills the next three days & when I was released gave me Ativan, an antidepresant...Doxipin, and a sleeping pill.

I felt overwhelmed by it all...went to counseling every week for a year for my depression, AA at least three times a week but usually went every evening for a year.

My second year I went back to college to get a BA Degree in Psychology, did work half days cleaning house & shopping for the elderly, & continued with AA & stayed sober. I didn't crave alcohol but was MAD at the world...had to wait 9 months to get the Depression/Anxiety diagnosis so they could be sure it wasn't caused by the alcohol use.

I had been dx with depression as a teenager but quit my medication when I got married at 20. I was 48 when I quit & am going to be 70 in a few months.

I wouldn't trade my sobriety for anything in this world. It is priceless & most precious to me. I wish you all the luck in the world that your detox goes well. Most doctors welcome helping someone with an alcohol problem. I would hate to think what really is important to a doctor if he or she didn't want to help people detox unless they are facing a simular problem themselves.

kelsh
Old 05-24-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Try NA too, you will need a support system after detoxing. Trust me, its about impossible without it IMO.

Good luck!

<3 Dream
Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Ooops

Sorry I meant AA