Notices

Help!!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
jsm

Almay--Please, please go see your Dr. Doctors are very well schooled in dealing with withdrawls. Doctors also have one of the highest rates of Alcoholism of any profession, so there is a very good chance that your doctor is in recovery )and if there are 3 or 4 in the group, there is almost certainly one of them in recovery.) My doctor is in a group of 10 and 4 of them are in recovery.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Almay, at this point numerous people, including me, have suggested you go to the Dr. You should, and have nothing to be ashamed of. They have heard this before and will not remove you or your sone from your home. However it is up to you. I did not, and didn't really have withdrawls. I seem to be an exception though.

My biggest fear was not sleeping. I posted that here and someone responded that is a very common fear. You will find most people will be able to sleep after a few days / weeks. That may seem like a while but really? Compared to what the alcohol is doing to you physically and mentally that is nothing.

Good luck Almay. Let us know how it is going.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Almay, I just went through a relapse. My point is "GO SEE THE DR". I was given a couple of prescriptions. Yes I was scared, I did not get honest with my Dr. until late Dec. after inpatient care. It WILL only get worse. I am learning the hard way right now. Do not want to go into much more but hopefully when I sign in later we will have heard from you.
SR is a great place.
Dean
Old 05-21-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR....you will find plenty of support here. I personally was so sick that I went cold turkey. The first days were rough but for me that was the only way to get going on sobriety. This was just me....I couldn't take anymore of the booze and I was done.

Keep us posted on your progress and how your doctor goes.

All the Best!!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let me add another vote for the Dr, Almay.

Many people do seem to get through ok on their own, but some of us have a rough ride with detox - I'm of them - I'm still suffering the after effects of my 'no doctor' detox 3 years later.

I know you're scared, but it's far better to see a Dr than it is to worry about all of this at home alone anyway...

D
Old 05-24-2010, 01:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Ok, I am really excited. This is my 4th day without a drink and I feel really good today. I did not go to the doctors ( I know I should have done) but compared to what I have been through before I cannot believe how mild my symptoms have been so far. I am still waiting for something odd or horrible to happen but so far, so good. I feel happy for the first time in a long time, its a strange feeling but I love it!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Well doing! Work and practice well in day time in order to good sleep! Read and write SR! Have fan!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I thought I had posted back here but obviously not. This is my 4th day without a drink and I cannot believe it! I am really happy and excited but scared at the same time. So far I have managed to escape most of the withdrawels I was expecting; I am hoping that it will just keep getting better.
I cannot stop eating though. Even when not hungry. I am hoping that will stop soon.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Almay - I ate like crazy for the first week or so. My entertainment for those first days was going through restaurant menus, haha. I was also craving beef, which isn't usually the case for me. I just went with it and found that after another week or so, my appetite returned to normal.

Congratulations on day 4 - you can do it!!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 4. I became a kind of junkfood-ingestion-system for the first 2 weeks, then it tailed off. Just let it happen and focus on the not drinking. Again: doing great!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Focus

I'm 30 but have been a daily drinker for 5 yrs, daily binge levels for 2 years (on a good day 6 drinks... on a bad day... losing count) and I got away with moderate withdrawal symptoms and some that linger (insomnia and mood swings). I too had elevated MCV and hypertension. It is good to check with a doctor but serious withdrawal is much more common among people over 40 who have a history of heavy drinking for 10+ yrs.

I guess I wouldn't keep drinking just out of fear of severe withdrawal. You are young... but def check with a doctor if you are concerned.

If you made it over 72 hrs, without even much in the line of minor withdrawal...I doubt you have anything to be concerned about. Apparently only 1/2 of heavy drinkers have more than mild withdrawal when they quit cold turkey.