Notices

Fear of relapse.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The only thing I have is that all any addict has is today. I don't know what the heck I am gonna do tomorrow but just for today I am not drinking. Fearing things that haven't happened and worrying that they will only leads me to trouble. I take small steps everyday to just stay in the now. Practice the things that I want in my life everyday. When I was drinking I was very selfish and only thought of myself. So thats one of the things I practice daily, to do for others as they have so generously done for me. When I think about the long term of not drinking I get scared, so I just think about not drinking today. I don't even say I will never drink again, that never worked for me before. I just don't have to drink today.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

ronan,

a healthy fear of relapse is one thing,

though if one dwells on it too long, it can turn into self-sabotage...

remember, our alcoholism wants us to drink.

in time, we learn a great thing called balance...

good wishes to you...
Old 05-20-2010, 05:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ronan,
If you continue to work the steps, you will come to a place of "neutrality" about alcohol. You will find that you are not cocky and that you are not afraid, either. As long as you keep in fit spiritual condition, that will be your experience. I say this with assurance, because that has been the experience of so many AA who live the program.
SusanLauren
Old 05-20-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

fear of relapse

I'm glad you are on your way. For me, FEAR is False Evidence Appearing Real. And fear is a terrible place to live. One way I get through the fears is to mediatate and focus on what I want, not what I fear could happen.

You're doing great...hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ronan....so glad you you doing good and I believe the fear of relapse is a completely rational thought. I mean....we did it for so long and know the effects of alcohol so why wouldn't we have concern. All it would take is a for a sip to become a drink, then two then a bottle and so on.

Glad you are making the life changes that are needed to go along with quitting. As I have learned....just saying no to booze is the first step....improving ourselves and our lives to maintain sobriety is the next part.

I enjoy reading your thought provoking posts. Kinda keeps me real in my recovery.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jsm View Post
one recurrent theme I keep reading on this site is fear of talking to your doctor. Primary Care Doctors spend all day turining away patients who are seeking medications to either fuel their addictions or sell on the streets. They LOVE it when patients come to them for help instead of the opposite. I am recommending that people who have been sober and fear relapse speak to their MD about alternatives to sitting around in fear. Alcoholism is a disease with medications available to help. We dont tell diabetics to use diet alone and wish their blood sugars down. I don't believe medications are the cure all but they CAN help.
Sorry..but in MY experience.....I ask for help to detox, (maybe some Valium or other benzo type med.....) and it is ASSUMED that I am seeking those drugs to ABUSE....(I have been a abuser of beer, sleeping meds and pot......) and I get denied these meds...and treated like dog caca.....

but this is MY experience.......and also why I lie to medical professionals now....even when I started to get monthly seizures about a year ago...(every month like clock-work), I was told, at first, that I was FAKING.....(yeah, I want to fake something like epilepsy)
Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I fear relapse as well, even though I have a year clean of crack yet relapse scares me. I know that if a relapse a lot of things will go bad, I could end up on the streets or in Jail or dead. Though their is still a part of me that wants to use, which is messed. But relapse is scary because who knows what will happen but all I know is that it would be bad.