Notices

No excuses

Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No excuses

So I'm in the part where "everything seems ok" --
Will be 6 months in a couple weeks--this has been my longest-FOR REAL- in the 5 years I've been trying to stop
My past proves me to fail miserably when I start feeling better about myself--when life actually starts looking up, and I feel like I'm finally going to have what it takes this time to stick to it---and I have been aware of this for years, but knowing this has not helped me at all--I somehow come up with an excuse, or don't even feel I need an excuse--I f*ck up horrifically--over and over again

I don't want to drink--well?? I guess my mind wants to, but my heart does not

Just wondering if anyone else seems to fall back when things are good, rather than bad?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yeah constantly...that was my MO...things would get bad, quit drinking, get on my feet and drink again...i've heard that of lots of other people...

It just because i changed nothing inside, i was still the same person that i was that got into the last mess when things were good the last time and just needed time to feel better and get back to what i thought was an ok position and then the drinking wasnt a problem anymore so why not drink...perfectly logical in a screwy kind of way:-)
Old 05-18-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Well, I drank both when times were good and when times were bad.And as far as approaching the 6 months being sober--it is normal to have those "squirrely" thoughts. They say that around 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 6 months, 9 months and 1 year.....for some reason our mind can start trying to talk to us--as in our old way of thinking, which is why it is important to keep reaching out and share how you are feeling--whether here or in the rooms of recovery. Fear of failure is also something that goes through our minds at some point in recovery (for alot of us). You definitely are not alone. Let this be a "new" recovery experience for you. Learn from the past, but don't allow it to hold you captive. You don't ever have to drink again. We do recover.