Notices

Alcohol increases risk for breast cancer

Old 05-17-2010, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol increases risk for breast cancer

I read on American Cancer Society :: Information and Resources for Cancer: Breast, Colon, Prostate, Lung and Other Forms a study that was done a one million women who drank and did not drink. From the drinking group 11% developed breast cancer directly caused from alcohol. That's a lot of people. Alcohol increases estrogen which effects breast cells and causes them to become cancerous. For women reading this, take this into consideration whenever you feel the craving to drink. Thinking of this helps to stop me from being weak. Of course if you want to die and are drinking to die then you probably don't care about getting breast cancer. But I don't want to die. Not anymore.

ACS :: Explanation of Alcohol Breast Cancer Connection
Old 05-18-2010, 03:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting. I am not quite sure that alcohol directly causes cancer but definitely agree that is disrupts hormones which affect breast tissue.

You are preaching to the choir on this one as if anyone has concern then I say.....more important then a study is the fact that one of us on here is going through this for real.

I have not been diagnosed with cancer and we are in the discovery stages with more tests scheduled but my tissue is much different then the average mid 30s woman.

So....if you need health issues to kick the booze then look right at me. Healthy in all areas and only 36. Just 5 months ago a little lump appeared and didn't go away.....now I have far more then benign cysts going on and hormones are suspect to have caused it.

Hell, if I can quit right before I found out and am still sober 33 days then anyone can do it.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope these concerns aren't close to home Tidal.
Breast cancer is a horrible horrible disease as is every cancer and alcoholism and addiction. Scare tactics may work for some, but not everyone.
My mother never drank, never smoked. Yet breast cancer still took her life at age 53.
I myself have had several scares, benign biopsies, etc.
I'm am still an alcoholic and it hasn't stopped me from continueing this insanity.
Thanks for making people aware though - if it helps just one it was worth it.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Researching the effect of alcohol on the body and all the disease states it contributes to, has really helped me to shore up my resolve to never drink again. Thanks for the post!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Kmbr))) Cancer is horrible and drinking, like smoking, does up the odds. As Saphine said though people stop when they are ready to surrender to the fact they can't control it anymore. I do thank you for this information. Well stated.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can see your worry Tidal. Breast Cancer is another potential reason for not drinking; maybe you're like me and have some well placed worries: anyone in your family with breast cancer? My mom is currently in remission after being diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in November of '07. I've had mono before, and now I do everything I can to be healthy so I don't get cancer. My risk is high enough as is.