Notices

Sobriety Question

Old 07-10-2010, 06:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I could have written your post!! When cravings get bad, my Addictive Voice tells me, "You aren't bad, wine hasn't affected you too much, it's better than feeling like this!" And I listened!! But it has affected me, my weight, my brain. I lie to myself. I, too, am waiting for the good things about not drinking to kick in, they haven't yet. Even when I had 2 weeks sober a few months ago, I didn't see the benefits. So - I am hanging in there.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm a better person now that I am sober. I am a happier more positive person, a more loving wife, a more sincere friend and I no longer am hurting those around me and am finally living the life I have always wanted to.

Sobriety is a blessing to me and one that I will never give up. I work at it every day because I am so proud of how far I have come.

All the best!
Old 07-10-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

and I almost forgot the best thing......I no longer am living in alcohol induced anxiety/depression/panic attacks. Without those dictating my life....I am once again free to live.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have more respect for myself now; and I', setting a good exaple for my teenagers.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I don't know how I missed this awesome thread the first time through.

Greatest benefits....wow. I can think, without doubting myself. I look better...eyes and skin are clearer. Bowels are back to normal (sorry if TMI, but that was an issue!). I want to do things other than sit on the couch and drink. I'm proud of myself. Self esteem is way up. Much more confident. Gosh, this list could go on forever!

Now, I like to study drunks. Watching them....makes me sad....and positive I'll never go back to that hell.

Nice Thread!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Boop! Beep!

Originally Posted by MarkNS View Post
Perhaps my biggest problem is that a lot of the time my drinking really doesn't seem to negatively affect me. I don't really remember what being sober is like, so I'm not sure how this could positively influence my life.
For me, and it's commonplace among us, but it is having my mind back.

On top of that I try to bask in the warm nostalgia of the time before I was dealing with my problems through substances, and moving forward while returning the ambitious glow of self-esteem that my eyes once held.

Make sure you search inside to figure out what it is you want though.

It sounds really creamy, it's actually been really hard. But I'm making the best of it.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I would agree with all the previous posts, feel better about myself, more self-esteem, wake up fresh, don't have the hangover, feel good all day through, my energy lasts longer, and I am more productive at work. I a have a higher power working in my life now, and that is probably the most awesome benefit of sobriety, is communication with my higher power. Go give up the fight and pick up the white Mark!

-Lith
Old 07-10-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So tempting to write too much. A few that quickly come to mind:
1. My wife is once again proud of me instead of embarrassed
2. I no longer gaze into the mirror to see if my eyes are yellow
3. Off blood pressure and cholesterol meds with my doctors testing and approval
4. Look forward to fun healthy activities instead of my next drunken binge.
5. Get to drive myself places and can answer my phone calls without slurred speech
6. Get to help others now and provide a good example instead of possibly leading them down a similar path of destruction like the one they watched me walk.
7. No longer worry about causing my mother the grief of losing another son to cirrhosis
8. Restored fellowship with my Higher Power.....

I'll quit now but this could easily go on and on. Funny thing is that none of it was obvious to me until after I got sober and returned to rational thinking.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

7. No longer worry about causing my mother the grief of losing another son to cirrhosis
I like this one.

About 3 or 4 months sober I had to call my mother late one night, she did not answer the phone after 2 attempts. I was a bit freaked out, she always answers the phone.

Talked to her the next morning and she told me that she no longer sleeps with the phone in her bed since she is no longer expecting a call from the police or hospital that I am dead or in jail. She had resigned herself to the fact she was going to bury her child, an awful thing for a parent.

When I stopped drinking the people I love felt the benefits before I did.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I'm a whole lot healthier - I used to have a "slight" gut but by swearing off the booze, I lost over 9 kilograms. Basically, I traded in my six pack of beer for six pack abs. Also, I look younger (!) which I confirmed by checking out some photos of me back in 2000... my face lost that slightly "jowly" look, bags under the eyes and other features you sometimes get from letting the alcohol, lack of sleep & calories pile up.

Also, my slightly elevated liver enzymes and cholesterol levels dropped back to normal levels within one month of quitting.

No longer being hungover in the morning also means a lot. Without getting too gross, I used to assume all the gastrointestinal distress in the morning was "normal".

Business dinners and nights out are now an exception rather than the rule. I now have about 90% of my dinners with my family instead of "client meetings". Although I work in a country where everyone claims drinking is an all-important social and business lubricant (and teetotallers are suspect) , I've found my business to be even better since quitting. I seem to be running into other senior executives, who do not have a drinking problem or issues with alcohol, but simply don't see drinking huge amounts of alcohol as conducive to a successful career.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I had hope for the future.

I didn't feel ashamed.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am beginning to remember again. Everything the last couple of years has been clouded. If you looked at me and my life as an outsider you would think I had the perfect life and drinking wasn't affecting me in a negative way recently. This job has been good and I have led my company in sales every year for the last 6 years. I live in a good neighborhood in a nice home that I own. I have great kids and a beautiful wife. Even my relationships with my family members and friends is pretty normal and good. It has taken a long time to get here, and most people would look at me and say "drinking has not affected me negatively recently. But they also don't know that I drove drunk everywhere, I have coached my kids teams very successfully and very drunk everyday, I haven't even made an effort at work for the past year or two, and I go see my customers drunk. I procrastinate in every area of my life and drink and nap most days when I am alone. And I don't remember stuff that happened yesterday, last week or last year. I am basically missing the memories of my kids growing up, and I am too drunk to really enjoy them. I am missing a great life that I have built for myself by going through it in a fog day after day, hour after hour. I am afraid to kiss my wife half the time because I always smell like booze, I hide and lie and sneak around everyday and everynight to feed this damn monster inside of me. Well I decided that I didn't need to wait for another major catastrophe to happen, like another DUI, or being rushed to emergency with alcohol poisoning or anything. It was bad enough that I was missing out on my great life and now I feel empowered to know that I made the decision to live the rest of this great life sober, and I am going to remember it!!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:49 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I can drive with confidence now & speed when I want to (I used to have to do the majority of my drinking in my car a block away from my house because my g/f wouldn't let me drink at home)

[B][I][U]My liver is healing!!! (aka increased life expectancy)

More money & disposable income

Lower phone bill too- I was a drunk dialer

More kissable (no booze breath)

Not having to see those same faces at the liquor store

A lot more confidence at the workplace.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, everybody! I feel like I made a big step tonight, too. I told a friend that I'm an alcoholic and she said she will support me in my quest to get sober. I think it's important to have somebody to support me who I know won't judge me.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's excellent, Mark! It takes courage to ask for help, but it's the best thing we can do. When we're drinking, we put a mask on so that the world thinks we're doing just fine. Some days we even convince ourselves. It takes so much work, though, trying to satisfy our addiction and still act "normal."

There's nothing to lose (except a little pride) by saying "I think I have a problem." It's the necessary first step in getting better. And it DOES get better!! One Day At A Time!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
That's excellent, Mark! It takes courage to ask for help, but it's the best thing we can do. When we're drinking, we put a mask on so that the world thinks we're doing just fine. Some days we even convince ourselves. It takes so much work, though, trying to satisfy our addiction and still act "normal."

There's nothing to lose (except a little pride) by saying "I think I have a problem." It's the necessary first step in getting better. And it DOES get better!! One Day At A Time!

Thanks! Why did I deny so many years to others and MYSELF that I'm an alcoholic?! wow... I guess that's normal though. I'm ready to beat this thing.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Also, I'd like to say to everybody who has responded to this thread, that you are all AWESOME! And I appreciate everything.