Notices

Hubby away for work, me alone at home

Old 05-16-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Hubby away for work, me alone at home

This morning at 5 am my husband had to leave for work and as he is working 10 hour days and the drive to work is just to long and added to that he is on call out shift at a dairy factory about to start up for the season he has to stay with people close to were he works for the next four days.

He stays with teetotallers and has used that fact as a way to get some much needed relief from drinking in earlier situations.

That will get him through the worst of withdrawal.

I on the other hand am alone on a farm far away from everything and while that makes the temptation to go out and buy booze limited it does make for a couple of lonely days while going through my withdrawal so I am very grateful to be able to find support here in the next couple of days.

I intend to take it easy, care for myself and keep some discipline getting up at a decent hour and not stay in bed with the computer the whole day and get some stuff done.

The veggie garden has been let go with all our exhaustion and drinking and maybe that is good therapy to be getting on with.

Any other tips greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I intend to spend some time helping very much non-boozing friends out on their organic farm.

And perhaps I will start my first batch of French Sausison sec.

I have recently taken up sausage and ham making and I dream of making my own Salami and other raw and cured European delicacies because here in New Zealand they don't sell them. In fact they would probably think I'm nuts for eating raw meat products.

And since home wine, beer and distilled making is out I might even take up Cheese making too. I have done the odd Mozzarella and that is to die for.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, for a lot of us the simple solution of not drinking is not to pick up that first drink. Keep busy & read recovery books & related material. I have found going to AA meetings & participating in the program of AA to be very helpful in my recovery. There are many programs out there if you are interested.

Take care & all of the best.

NB
Old 05-16-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's always people here to talk to Margareth
NZ cheese is the best in the world so I bet yours will be great

D
Old 05-16-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I worked last Summer at a goat dairy and we made cheese. We didn't do mozzarella, but it wasn't for lack of my begging boss to let us try. We had enough variety in her eyes and she was the boss after all.

Sounds like you are doing well on your planning. SR is a great support and I am sure it will help you since you are so rural. That's why I chose this forum too because of my location.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keeping busy helps a lot, even though it seems a little silly to be constantly distracted it truly works. Plus, if you do something productive you feel that much better about what you're doing.