Notices

Neuropathy

Old 05-16-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Neuropathy

I was just wondering if anyone has had any of the muscle spasms, tingling in legs and feet. I have been diagnosed with mild (reversible) Neuro says with in six months. However I am having a really tough time 41 days into sobriety. I am very very nervous after ten years of drinking. I have been told I am ok by docs but refuse to believe. I looked up paws and came up with this. Can anyone please help me relate to this. I constantly have that pit in my stomach like I am really nervous about something whil I should be relaxing.
thank you so much:

PAWS
Symptoms can sometimes come and go with wave like reoccurrences or fluctuations in severity of symptoms. Common symptoms include impaired cognition, irritability, depressed mood, and anxiety; all of which may reach severe levels which can lead to relapse.[12][13]

Common symptoms of post acute withdrawal syndrome are:[14][15][16][17]

Psychosocial dysfunction
Anhedonia[18]
Depression
Impaired interpersonal skills
Obsessive-compulsive behaviour
Feelings of guilt
Autonomic disturbances
Pessimistic thoughts
Impaired concentration
Lack of initiative
Craving
Inability to think clearly
Memory problems
Emotional overreactions or numbness
Sleep disturbances
Physical coordination problems
Stress sensitivity
Increased sensitivity to pain
Symptoms occur intermittently, but are not always present. They are made worse by stress or other triggers and may arise at unexpected times and for no apparent reason. They may last for a short while or longer. Any of the following may trigger a temporary return or worsening of the symptoms of post acute withdrawal syndrome:

Stressful and/or frustrating situations
Multitasking
Feelings of anxiety, fearfulness or anger
Social Conflicts
Unrealistic expectations of oneself
Too much on your to-do list
Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Congratulations on you sober time, reg. That is awesome.

PAWS is pretty common...most everyone here has gone through at least a handful of those symptoms.

If you don't trust your doctors you can always get a second opinion. If any of your symptoms worsen, please get to a doctor.

Keep your head up.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey rreg. I'm guessing from what you wrote up there that you have been to your doctor already in regards to the reversible neurological issues you're having??? I saw (as my posting to you here) that this is your 14th post so I'm guessing this may be new to you?

I would check with your doctor again, give them a call, and if you're that concerned go to an ER.

This whole getting sober process can be overwhelming and can certainly make someone a little over anxious about what they're going through. I feel for ya!!!

Take some deep breaths and relax, you're going to be ok. Hang in there!! Welcome to SR!!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bob,

I know what it's like to think you've ruined everything...especially healthwise - but if you're anything like me, you really shouldn't diagnose yourself over the internet

That pit in your stomach is anxiety, Bob. I get it too.

If your doctor's told you it's reversible, I think I'd trust him/her. As long as you hold up your end of the bargain and stay sober, you'll be ok

This is my preferred article on PAWs cos it gives suggestions on how to mitigate the effects

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) Digital Dharma

take it easy mate
D
Old 05-16-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Neuropathy???

Hi rreg2,

You know something...I have been sober quite a long time & get terrible muscle spasms in my ribs, toes, feet, & fingers. I have been told that these are related to my arthritis & fibromyalgia.

I take one muscle relaxer at bedtime but still wake up with a muscle spasm & sometimes have to get out of bed to get it to quit.

I had a medical detox in our local hospital so didn't go through the very difficult withdrawals. They kept me six days & from there I went to AA & also an in-patient alcohol treatment center for 30 days. I had been sober three months when I went to treatment but was still toxic.

I congratulate you on your number of days sober...one day at a time seems to add up pretty fast the longer you are sober. I wouldn't give up being sober for anything....& I have been through some pretty tough times since I sobered up.

Keep up the good work. Sober Recovery has been a great support to me. I like to share my experience, strength, & hope so someone else can find what I have.

Shannon
Old 05-16-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey reg, ive also had much of that tingling/spasms mainly legs and arms..just 21 days free at pres..though leg heel cramps persisting for now..,aching tiredness still also..like some other posters have said...after a good few years of abuse..i guess its gonna take a bit of time,with living healthy again, to put to rights...
Old 05-16-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rreg,

All you can do for yourself is to focus on staying sober. I think many of us would like to be able to go back and undo the damage we have done to ourselves, but of course, we can only go forward. Do talk to your dr again about your concerns.