Notices

I threw it all out and hubby is checking the forum out too

Old 05-15-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

I threw it all out and hubby is checking the forum out too

I threw all the alcohol out this morning so me and hubby have no choice. I have done this before in the past and really when it comes down to it it's easy to stop. It is just so difficult to not start again.

I talked with my husband of 23 years who is like me a heavy drinker too and we decided to go it together. We are scared but we know that this is something we have to do if we want to stay alive.

He will be staying with very sober friends this week and that will help him (he has call out duty and lives to far away from his job to be able to attend this duty and he always takes the opportunity to not drink). I don't mind being alone and not have alcohol and I live far enough away from shops to sneak a drink besides that is not how I operate (in fact one of my redeeming features is that I am brutally honest).

Once I get around to it I really like being sober.

Where I live it is Sunday morning now and it will give us a day to just laze about and take care of ourselves. I can't wait to get over the crap way I feel right now.

Last edited by Margareth; 05-15-2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling mistake in title
Old 05-15-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome

Hi Margareth

Where I live it is Sunday morning too and a beautiful morning it is.

Good luck on your journey with your husband. I am not sure how familiar you are with this site but I have found it to be a wonderful place to be.

Take care and keep posting
Old 05-15-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Margareth - I'm glad you're making some good choices. I hope you and your husband are successful doing it together. Remember that you can't keep each other sober though, so I hope you're not setting yourself up for disappointment. But, really what do I know? If you're both ready it could really help. I'm just sharing what came up for me. I hope you'll keep posting as you go along. We all need as much support as we can get!!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Margareth! Good to see you again and with wonderful news! I'm so happy for you!

Love,

Lenina
Old 05-15-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great choice Margareth

Enjoy your sober Sunday!
D
Old 05-15-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old 05-15-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Artsoul,

I know what we're in for and we have been through it all before but I think that we are at a point that it is the only possible way. We have been through so much **** together that it would be a real shame if either one of us went back to drink but I hope that with this forum I can stay focussed on my recovery. My husband is on his own in this just like I am.

If I have to I will find support locally and while I will be the best spouse a man can wish for as he has been a husband for me I know my limitations. I'm not his therapist or his doctor and he is well aware of that.

Right now I'm in full withdrawal and feel like **** but I know that the physical part of it last about five days and that is when I'm at my weakest. Sort of like "Hey, I didn't drink for five days and I'm feeling fine and it's weekend and we're both tired so what the heck.

That's when we cave and that's when I'm really going to need some support.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

We'll be here

D
Old 05-15-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Sounds good Margareth! (I'm really behind you, and didn't mean to sound discouraging, so I just wanted to say that). I hope you feel better soon and glad you're hanging in there!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Artsoul,

No worries. At the moment in full withdrawal and anxiety attack. Sweating and trembly. So is hubby and we are giving each other comfort and en encouragement. I hope this is as bad as it gets but if need be I'll go to the doctor tomorrow.

My worst fear is the sleepless nights. My husband and I have had an extremely traumatic couple of years and are both diagnosed with CPTSD (complex post traumatic stress disorder)

Alcohol is our way of self medication but its pure poison to us really but I hate the insomnia that comes with sobriety. That is my strongest trigger.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thought about both going to AA? That would be a really cool story...i met a couple who went to AA together, they are really involved in it and get asked to speak at all sorts of places and areas...their lives have transformed by helping others...they have been sober years and are very happy indeed...they have found purpose in sobriety i guess:-)
Old 05-15-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR! Keep coming back....lots of good people here.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

My husband (son of a Methodist preacher) are not very good with the Christian put your faith in God thing (No offence intended and kudo's for those who are).

And I hope to find the support I need here.

The nearest town with an AA group is also at least 45 minutes drive away (New Zealand rural farwegistan is where I live)

I am contemplating Campral after the initial withdrawal phase has passed and my husband has just told me he would join me with that so we could perhaps get passed the serious craving (Weekend coming and wanting to rewards ourselves etc).

That and being able to get my support here straight into the safety of my own home seems the way to go for now.

So much for the direct support of this forum wanted to post the mail and found my internet connection is down. Bummer. LOL.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Margareth, keep posting and hang in there. Welcome to SR by the way.

I want to point out as well that no matter where this takes you and should you give in, don't stop coming back here. I commend you two for giving it a shot together and I wish you the best. You'll get tons of support here so I do hope you'll keep checking in and let us know how your doing. You have my support 110%!! My very best to the both of you.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Margareth,

Welcome and I'm glad you are here seeking support.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

You will find lots of information and support here. Pull out your keyboard and make yourself at home by reading and posting as much as needed.

One of the tools that helped me get and stay sober was reading a book titled "Under the Influence". It helped me to understand how every part of my body, brain, and soul had become addicted to alcohol. With the knowledge of how alcoholism was controlling my body and my thoughts, I was able to accept my addiction and began to formulate a plan of action to overcome the addiction.

The wonderful folks at SR have made a permanent post (sticky post) in our Alcoholism forum with excerpts from the book. Here is the link: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Keep coming back.