Notices

What about the kids?

Old 05-17-2010, 01:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

:: amazing how our brains become storms so quickly with worries, what ifs?, and all boils down to surrender for me. I need to ask for my HP who I call God; to direct my thoughts, actions, and ability to stay in the day. This is easier said than done and in no way mastered. The Big Book says to pause n pray for the right thought or action and then we need to try and quiet the storm so we can hear the answer; again easier said, than done sometimes.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Red face

Originally Posted by vida View Post
:: amazing how our brains become storms so quickly with worries, what ifs?, and all boils down to surrender for me. I need to ask for my HP who I call God; to direct my thoughts, actions, and ability to stay in the day. This is easier said than done and in no way mastered. The Big Book says to pause n pray for the right thought or action and then we need to try and quiet the storm so we can hear the answer; again easier said, than done sometimes.
Yes i agree it is hard to stay in the day, when life exerts so much external pressure! But as our HP tells us worrying about tommorrow is HIS job, and it robs today of its power! so when thing get tough lets send a prayer up to heaven. ''Cast all your cares on HIM, ye who are heavy ladened and HE will give u rest''
Old 05-17-2010, 04:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Winton, I have thought of that myself as alcoholism is prevalent in all families where my children are involved. Here is how I look at it.

If they should ever have an issue there will be at least one person in the family who is working a program and knows how to deal with addiction. I can be there for my kids but they are just like me and everyone else they're going to make their own decisions and make their own choices in life. I cannot control the decisions that they make or the ones they will make. I can set a good example for them, give them constructive discipline while they're young and give them the best advise I can, after that it is out of my hands.

I will never be able to be there for them should they need me if I'm not well, which is why you really should just focus on yourself. Don't look so far to the future, we can never predict what is going to happen. Take care of you.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
You know even though I'm young this is something I've thought about. I think it's important to avoid being all "alcohol is evil, don't ever touch it" to your kids, because they will end up having a few drinks and having some fun and thinking "Dad was lying or was wrong" etc.

What is important is to tell them to be very cautious, as was said above. Tell them about the dangers and that you'll always be there to talk to if they think they're drinking too much etc.

That said, I don't have any experience in this, just throwing in my 2c
Hi Ronan, 2 good points i got from your post...

There is a saying in AA, one of the many ones that are just as applicable in real life...attraction not promotion...for me anyone can talks bollocks...lets see you doing it yourself, because the latter will actually influence people, the former is just hot air:-)

And the second point is that for most people alcohol is used as a form of enjoyment, just because we choose not to use alcohol now knowing our condition doesn't mean we can ever cast a net and say it is bad for all...in this case that kind of talk to a young adult is going to send them right to the drink lol im a little away from young adult now (;-)) but i remember what i did if someone said you absolutely must never do that its a sin kind of thing;-)
Old 05-17-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I grew up with an alcoholic father and a mother who believed it was the sum of all evil. Although I could see what it did to my father and his marriage I always felt like I was different, and in the beginning I was. I started drinking when I left home at 19 and it took a few years for it to get to the point of interfering with my life.

Now, at 24, I've decided that the problems it causes in my life just aren't worth it. I don't think the "alcohol is evil" attitude solves anything. I was a good kid, but just had to find out for myself. It's hard to believe that alcohol is evil when you hit college age and everyone you know is drinking all the time.

I think it would be more beneficial for them to hear about your experience. I was told at one point that my grandfather (on the alcoholic side) used to drink heavily in the early days of their marriage, but then gave it up completely at some point. I've never seen him with a drink in his hand as long as I've known him. I really believe he came to the same conclusion I did about alcohol. I've gained more strength from thinking about his example than from all the "alcohol is evil" lectures I heard as a teen.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

All I can do is be completely honest with them on the reasons I don't drink anymore. And what could happen to them if they are not careful.