Notices

Looking for info

Old 05-09-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Looking for info

Hi there! I have had numerous medical issues for years now. My mom and bio father are both alcoholics and mom is a secret pill taker.. for the lack of trying to explain it. SO with that I am well aware that I have addiction tendencies. Years ago, just over 20, I was wild and crazy and doing anything I could and drinking. God used being pregnant with my son to put a stop to that in 1989. Since then here and there I have had surgeries and such and after been put on pain meds. I KNOW there is something there because I have always gotten depressed when they came to an end. For a few years now my pain management doc has had me on tramadol due to it being non narcotic. Then I had to switch doctors. This was last October. He wouldn't listen to me telling him I WANTED non narcotics because I was scared and kept 'reassuring' me that they do things a certain way and just to trust him and follow his plan. So, he threw me on Methocarbomal, vicadin and oxy. (excuse my spelling) I have been asking him to help me get off of them but then I ended up throwing my back out again so he upped them. So I have finally had enough. I feel like I want to say, I'm not addicted and never have been but why else would I watch the clock to see when it is time to take my next dose or love that feeling of calmness afterwards. Yes, it helps the pain but ugh, I'm sick of it. I saw a doctor last week that said he would work with me if I got off all meds. So I'm looking for any info on where I can find a doctor in the Cincinnati area who will help me wean off of it somehow. I have tried asking my icky doctor and he says it's not time yet and that I have to follow his plan. I need to do this NOW. I'm scared. I'm on lower dosages and want to be DONE with it all and maybe go a homeopathic or holistic way about this. Anyone know of any doctors around that area? I want to enjoy life and what God has given me and NOT turn into my mother! This is the first time I have EVER written something like this or even talked to someone about it. I just want help or advice. Thank you all so much.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Trundgirl
we don't do doctors recommendations here I'm afraid.

Googling free clinics Cincinnati should give you a start for affordable doctors in your area

D
Old 05-09-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I am so glad you found us and there will be lots of support for you here.

I am glad that you have a dr who said he would work with you if you were off the meds. Can he possibly give you a referral to a dr who will help you with that? Otherwise, you can try calling doctors in your area to find one who understands your situation. I am glad you have decided to do this!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family! This place has been a great help to my sobriety. I hope we can help you as well. :ghug3
Old 05-09-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Trundgirl - I think if it were me, I'd call a local rehab/treatment center and see if they have any recommendations for doctors who are familiar with recovery/addiction. They probably know of several. Best of luck to you in your quest! (I grew up in Cincy - my parents are still there, and it will always be my "home town!") And by the way, it's really good that you're feeling very cautious about this and trying to take charge of your own health.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks

Sorry, didn't know about the doctor thing.

Artsoul-PERFECT info. I'll start calling tomorrow.

Anna-the doctor would but he said he didn't know anyone that would get involved now and basically jump in to this type of situation. I'll just start calling tomorrow!

Thanks guys. I'm not from this area so I feel alone anyway but I am determined to heal my body but more so, my mind!

God Bless you all!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Feel free to keep posting here too Trundgirl

D
Old 05-09-2010, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

THat stinks b/c we cant give medical advice, wouldnt want to anyway b/c i am not qualified but I feel bad b/c mormally we would (or the majority i believe) would refer you to a Dr but thats the issue who you have issues with, and thats a tough one. I am only sober from (shooting) Oc's and Roxies, (well 5 days of that) and 1 day of alcohol, and klonapin and soma etc etc but this is about you I am only letting you know that IT CAN BE DONE. You can do it too. you can read my posts about how I did it and a tremendouns other posts here about how people do it FOR REAL and you can too.
You already know its going to be hell on of off meds (I cant speak of any in patient detox or rehab as that wasnt an option for me w/ no insurance) but I did it and you can too.
Even before you are addicted for sure and just want to get off them you can get help from NA or AA (you could even just call the help lines in your area) and they can point you in the right direction as they know where you live and other Drs around there and get advice from other SOBER people that have lived through it by reputable Dr's in your area, its just like when unfortuantely some of us had to shop around to Dr;s Pain management specificially for legitimate surgeries (for me spinal fusion so its a ticket to anything I want but I dont want anything anymore) but I had to shop pain mgt. drs and talk to other junkies to get "good"recommends of high prescribing Dr that would prescribe anything I wanted for $ which i t sounds like yours wants "keep coming back" so the only adive I can give is to do the same thing but with sober people, talk to them and get recommendations for ethical, Dr;s in your area that will get you off this madness and THEN 9which is what I am going throguh and waiting to see) which is find out where my pain level REALLY is (after my surgery) after I am off the pain meds. I really dont think it wil be as bad as it I think it is or when I was coming off them even. Then I am praying that strengthing my core, abdominals will give my back the support to not "go out" again but I also have degenerative disk diseae and am only 33 and needed that major surgery which I pray you never have to go through but for me it was necessary, you will find the right Dr b/c you are dealing with a Dr that is not the norm anymore, I am sure if you even told other primary care (not pain management Dr.) what you are on he will be astounded and help you get off.
Try that and keep us posted hang around here, its the best place ever, even to help with depression and pain support!
I wish you the best of luck! <3 Dreams
Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys! Will write more later nut I am looking and determined!