Notices

Depressed

Old 05-09-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depressed

I'm feeling so down. So depressed. The only thing that I can think of that would make me happy. I think knowing that I can't drink is why I feel so depressed.

I dunno. Just wanted to vent.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Eventually you won't get depressed knowing you can't drink again. Either like me you will continue to drink until it's so miserable the thought of never drinking again sounds peaceful or......from what I hear.....If you stay sober long enough to allow for a new way of life you won't miss it.

There is more to life then alcohol.

I'm glad you came here and vented or as some people call it "told on your disease". I understand how you feel, getting depressed and thinking something (alcohol) is the solution when you know it will just prolong the depression after a very short period of relief is a difficult position to be in but it appears the only way to heal for us is to go right through it.

Hang in there.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Luthin,

I know how you feel. To think never again is self-defeating though; it makes the re-adjustment to not drinking appear unattainable which runs the risk of making us think why bother at all.

Instead of thinking never, try to focus on thinking, I just won't drink today - heck, say I won't drink for the next half-hour if you have to.

Focusing on what is attainable makes the discomfort more manageable.

I used to tell myself, I'll drink tomorrow, just not today (I'd trick my mind - hey it plays tricks on me - two can play that game). lol.

That kind of thinking would get me through that day. I would then repeat as necessary.

It does get easier as re-adjustments are made and old habits are broken. Do you have other support mechanisms in place? Good for you for coming here to vent. Talking [typing] out loud helps alot.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I couldn't agree more with Dean. I was so depressed almost every day that I was literally in pain. I had a pain my chest. When I drank it went away for a bit, but then was back, so I'd drink more, more depressed, drink more and so on. I am less than 4 weeks into my sobriety but that pain has diminished, and sometimes it's not there at all. I feel so much better. Try to find something to replace the drinking with. Hang in there Luthin. Vent some more if you need to.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dean is right on the money - when I drank, the depression and negative feelings (if they even went away at all) always came back.

The only way out of the cycle is to not drink - and the only day you really have to worry about is today, Luthin.

You can do this
D
Old 05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank to medicate depression and anxiety... but all it really did for me was mask it for a bit and then come back much worse.

I agree with taking it one day at a time. It's more understandable to not drink 'today' as opposed to 'never' drinking again. But now that i've got over five months sober I don't crave it like I used to and don't miss it at all. Hang on to your sobriety. This too shall pass... and if it doesn't pass, or gets worse, see your doctor.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Luthin, try to not get overwhelmed thinking of 'forever'.

Stay in the moment as much as possible and you can get through this.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Luthin - the worst way to treat depression is with alcohol (a depressant itself). But there are alot of us out there that DO need help with depression, so you may want to ask a doctor about that. Alcohol seemed to help me initially with my depression/anxiety, but it turned on me pretty quickly. I know it's going to take time to get over my knee-jerk reaction (take a drink!), but the longer we stay sober, the easier it WILL get! Thanks for your post!