Notices

Two Weeks

Old 05-08-2010, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two Weeks

Sober for two weeks today! That is the longest i've been without alcohol since 1984! My physical withdrawal symptoms are gone:bounce:bounce I started back with lifting weights and jujitsu, damn I feel good. The only problem is now my mind is telling me "your ok to drink see you feel ok".
Now I understand why the firdt step is so important. How do yall handle these mind tricks?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I handle my addict voice by telling her to shut up and stop lying to me. With more sober time the voice gets quieter until finally you can't hear it at all.

Congrats on your two weeks!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Congratulations, Stang.

When the mind tricks are bad I'm on SR a lot. I use SR as prevention.

Going for a long walk or doing something to distract yourself can help. I found it is important to fill the time...especially during the beginning.

Hang in there.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Once you recognize the addict-voice for what it is, you can hear it and then let it go. You know it's messing with your mind.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Way to go, Stang! Keep it up!

Great thread and great ideas so far. I need to hear them as well.

One thing I do is say "this is just a thought." Breathe, relax and wait it out. It's uncomfortable, but it passes. I try not to feed it by imagining "what would it be like to drink/not drink." Taking the thought further just helps it grow and get more powerful. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but it seems to have worked for me a few times this week. And I agree with Bam - SR is the best.

Also, they say that when those thoughts hit, follow them through to the end (play the whole movie, not just the pleasant stuff!).
Old 05-08-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Congrats, stang, on your two weeks! Looks like the other posters have some good tips on how to quiet the voice.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Stang!

The voice - yep, it's the addiction talking - it wants you back so it can take everything from you, but not before it gets you alone in its grip.

It has always helped me to hit the mute button, read something, anything, that reminds me of how alcohol destroys us and never, ever, ever forget how sick I was with my last withdrawal.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

Congrats on two weeks!!

When my mind wanders to the idea of a drink, I go put on a pot of decaf coffee and come to SR. Reading others posts helps me shake those thoughts quickly. Go find a newcomer's post, someone with just a day or two into sobriety. It'll remind you quick many of the reasons you DON'T want to pick up a drink again. They need our support just as we need that of all those that have so much more time than us, and reading their struggles that we've just been through reminds us to stay on track, too.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayer helps me immensley in all situations

Well done on your sober times..
Old 05-08-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR! In early sobriety....I would stop what I was doing and take three Deeeeeeeeep breaths. By the time I was done, so was the craving.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Stang!

Anytime I tried to convince myself I could drink again, I read, or remembered all I'd written or read here. I made sure where possible I reached out for support too

You can do this
D