Notices

Day 30 and getting chip tomorrow

Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 30 and getting chip tomorrow

Hi Guys

Just wanted to express my gratitude to all recovering and wannabe recovering's. Today is my Day 30. I have been trying since the beginning of the year. Made 27 days, made 18 days, etc. but just was not able to fully commit due to - well - insanity, I assume. Cunning/baffling.

Not only is today day 30, but I have been at a 3-day work conference that was absolutely bathed in drinks. Welcome drinks and lunch wines and cocktail events and meetings in the bar at the hotel. And you know what, it really is true: People really, really push the drinks on you!

And these are people I didn't even know - just business people. Every single time I declined, or ordered club soda instead, I was questioned. Every, single, time. I was asked why I wasn't drinking, if I might join later, if I would join tomorrow, and on and on. It was like I was declining oxygen or something. I thought about it and decided that declining to partake when others are drinking, just flat out makes drinkers wary/nervous - and then I wondered if I had ever been that way too, and I might have been. Not sure but I wouldn't put it past me.

ANYWAY...just wanted to thank you all for being here...I am very excited to go get a chip tomorrow with my sponsor. My first one (never got the 24 hour one.)

Woo hoo!

Soph :-)
Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Soph

D
Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days Soph. Outstanding

Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Awesome! Congrats on 30 days!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on 30 days!
Great you got through the conference so well.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yay!!!

Collect 'em all!

ddog
Old 05-06-2010, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

CONGRATS, Soph!!! For me, that was the most meaningful chip I ever picked up. When I got it and returned to my seat, my sponsor hugged me and said, "30 days and a 1000 nights! That chip is blood red for a reason!"

Way to go. You are on a beautiful path. May there be many more of those pretty colored chips in your future!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ch5 HOW

Congrats on your 30-day seperation from alcohol.

Have you begun going through the Big Book w/ a sponsor yet?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats Soph on your 30 days. It keeps getting better and better.

Also congrats on getting through a tough "test". It's really hard being in those situations so early in our recovery. But when you succeed like you did it makes us feel stronger, and we can build on that to make the next situation easier.

Congrats!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Congratulations!!

Rev
Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soph View Post
It was like I was declining oxygen or something.
This made me laugh, Soph - too funny!

Congratulations on your awesome 30 days sober and declining all those oxygen offers.

My experience has been that many people, in general, like a good story. Declining drink(s) makes these people curious about why we decline them, as in there must be a good story behind why she doesn't drink.

It actually intrigues me to watch people do this knowing that why I don't drink is my business (especially in a work situation) and what people think of me is none of my business.

By all means, get a white chip too - depending on the meeting etiquette, I've seen people pick up other chips they've missed either after the meeting or while getting their regularly scheduled one. Talk to your sponsor.

You worked hard for both. Way to go!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's great you go your 30 day chip, I did too. We went to a party and I drank only diet coke and I was asked if I wanted a drink and I said "No diet coke is fine" and luckily they left it at that. It took me a long time to finely set my quit day and I do feel better, the depression went away
taylor
Old 05-06-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sure you've heard this before but your cats are gorgeous, I have 2 calico's and 2 torties. The torties were given to me by a divorce of my daughter. I didn't think it would work with my other 2 cats, the first week was horrible, hissing chasing each other, I think I drank a lot that week, but they all get along now and I've been quit for over 30 days.
taylor
Old 05-06-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats!! I hope I can get that 30 day chip in another 29 days!! Way to go. Never knew there was a 24 hour chip...
Old 05-06-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oddman View Post
Congrats!! I hope I can get that 30 day chip in another 29 days!! Way to go. Never knew there was a 24 hour chip...
Odd, it's the Desire chip. Most meetings offer it as the first chip they pass out. They say something like "Our first chip is the desire chip. It is an outward sign of an inward commitment to stay sober for 24 hours/one day at a time. Would anyone like a desire chip?" At which point, you stand up and walk up to get it while everyone goes nuts clapping. I did that several times, had to "turn in a wet one for a dry one" on several occasions. But I kept going back and I finally got my first 24 hours. I think the desire chip is my favorite to give out now. I love to watch people get sober.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

grats to you on 30 days
Old 05-06-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Congrats!

Remember - relapsing does not have to be a part of recovery. You never have to drink again.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your support - means the world to me and made me smile.

Letsgo: I do have a sponsor and she and I are in Step 3. I am workin' it! Developing a new relationship with my HP and am giving lots of thanks every day, as well as trying to let go of stuff.

Odd, Taylor: Congrats to you too! Way to go! Well actually this applies to everyone in recovery, eh?! But the early days are seriously hard. For me anyway.

Typical scene in my head as the sun starts to go down in the evening is like:

Thought: Hello, I am wine. I would be delicious right about now, as you sit out on your patio and toss the ball with your dogs. Plus I would soften those hard edges around your worries over things.

Me: Hello thought. You are an insane thought and I know what you're trying to do and guess what? I have a choice today. And I choose to tell you to P*SS OFF and let me enjoy my dogs in peace and wake up tomorrow feeling happy and proud.

Thought: Ouch. You're so irritable lately. May I offer you something chocolate, then?

Me: Now you're talkin!

Soph :-)