Notices

day 13...i broke up with beer =(

Old 05-05-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 13...i broke up with beer =(

Im done with this whole drinking thing. But i feel like i just broke up with my girlfriend or something. I know she was a pain in the ass, messed around with other dudes, stole from me, made me sick to my stomach, lied to me, and made me fat...but we were together for so long, and she was always there for me...

I know i'm better off without her. She brings out the worst in me. I can not see her again...

Song of the day.. While my guitar gently Weeps by Spineshank (beetles cover)
Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Haven't heard Spinshank in a while. I just pulled it up on my ipod. The distorted bass in the beginning gives me chills. Thanks for the recommendation. I am a bass player myself. I'm glad that I met you on this board. Maybe we can help one another. Day 1 for me. almost three hours sober. I will miss beer at times too, but I'd rather keep my life, family, and job.......but damn she was hot wasn't she????

My song of the day. Going with an oldie but goodie.....Blackened
Old 05-05-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you're anything like me then mourning/grieving your old 'friend' will be a big part of recovery. It certainly was for me. I mourned booze and drugs like I had lost an actual close relative or something. To say I was attached psychologically would be an understatement.

But you get through and it passes over time and with much 'work' on your recovery. Get it all out on SR, that really helped me. AA too.

All The Best
Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well said.
Used to be good friend on hot summer day.
And eased my pain..
But also the cause of a lot of grief.
Funny how you can miss something that made you so sick and gave so much trouble.
Wish you the best.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are making good progress, Washburn!! Early sobriety sucks... The grieving process, yep, know it well... It gets better.

How about another tune? Maybe not George but John and Paul....

I get by with a little help from my friends (It's getting better all the time...)
Old 05-05-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I finally stopped drinking, alcohol was my only 'friend'. It was definitely a grieving process that I went through when I ended that friendship.

One of my very favourite books is "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp. She was a young, high-functioning alcoholic and her memoir eloquently describes her break-up with alcohol. I knew that if she could do it, I could do it.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"but damn she was hot wasn't she????"
I thought she was, but then again i could have had on my beer goggles the whole time...LOL...

Thanks for the advice and comment everyone. Anna I will to add that book to my list. Mark, im gonna look up that song tonight an learn it on the guitar tonight. It is a good one. Neo and Penny, i appreciate your words...

As the feeling to drink in my stomach right now is killing me, once again this web site has me motivated to keep going thanks to your words and re-reading my old threads.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of us go through that grieving process - keep focused, keep moving forward and you'll be fine, Washburn

D
Old 05-05-2010, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

I remember that feeling.. it passes

Kinda when you think back on that girl you thought was super hot and would DIE if she dumped you back in high school.. she's ugly and worthless now, and definitely not going to enhance your life any.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Yeah, I miss the rituals of it: drinking while smoking my pipe, especially. I'll just have to learn to make due with tea or diet soda, I suppose. It was worse when I quit cigs many years ago. I missed my lighter (I had a cool Zippo) and all the little times, like after dinner or driving in the car, when smoking seemed so appealing. Don't miss the hangovers or brown phlegm, tho.

Rev
Old 05-05-2010, 05:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

If it helps....there will come a day and you will wonder how you ever felt like that. The thought of sitting down with a drink will be completely foreign...and you will finally find peace.

Glad you are here.