Notices

Need Help

Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Help

Sorry to bother u all but i am an alcoholic who cannot stop drinking (for more than 4 days at a time) and i am looking for some support. I tried going to AA a couple of times but everyone else was at least 50 years old (hard to relate). My wife also has a drinking problem, so at any given time one of us will eventually screw up. I have two kids that I love, they are my purpose in life but i still have trouble quitting drinking. I think I'm fffffed up?!? I also have a problem with anxiety, which is most likely one of the reasons why i drink. Some input on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Steele
Welcome to SR.

I think the solution is always with us and what we're prepared to do.
Coming here is a good start, You'll find a lot of support

Sorry you say AA wasn't for you - did you try any other meetings - maybe you could see if you can find one that fits ?

Have you spoken with your Doctor?

Thought about counselling?

or rehab (inpatient or outpatient) ?

I'm not interrogating you - just throwing out ideas
Like I said - it's really down to us.

Here's some links to some of the main recovery programmes
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

Sorry about your situation with your spouse too - but we have many other members dealing with the same problem so you'll get support there too.

It's not a dealbreaker...

I look forward to seeing you around
D
Old 05-04-2010, 11:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Steele and welcome! This is a great place to start and I congratulate you for reaching out. It took me weeks of lurking around to get up the nerve to join and I'm so glad I did.

I had the same problem - it was impossible for me to stay sober for more than a few days at a time. Just when I start feeling decent, it was time for another drink. It's nothing but a vicious cycle that will sooner or later bring us to our knees. I'm at day 4 right now, and I can say that hanging out here has been a Godsend. We don't have to do this anymore, you know? I'm glad you're here!:day6
Old 05-04-2010, 11:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have spoken to my doctor and am on some anti-anxiety medications.

I have also just started some counselling, not sure if it is my kind of thing but am giving it a try.

I also tried two different AA meeting within my area (rural), am hoping to try some more (unfortunately some of them are on the same nights as my sons baseball).
Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Steele!

Does your wife want to get sober too? It's hard to do alone. You might check out some books, I believe all these are available at the library: "The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous" and "Under the Influence" are two good ones to start with.

I like Rational Recovery. I use a combination of AA and RR. Read the stickies on SR, lots of good information there. And post! Read the forums. This is a great place for supports and getting different points of view.

Love,

Lenina
Old 05-05-2010, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Very often, anti anxiety meds are given to help make withdrawal safer and more comfortable. Can you not use the meds instead of drinking? W/D only lasts about three or four days, can you try to get thru that? It's worth a few days of discomfort just to get the alcohol out of your system.

Also, depending what anxiety meds you're on, it can be dangerous to mix them with alcohol. Can you ask your doctor about a medically supervised withdrawal? I hope you can quit drinking soon as it's a progressive problem and will only get worse.

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on seeking a healthy sober future

Blessings to you and your family

Welcome to our recovery community.....