Notices

Procrastination Recovery Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was about to post that I think a part of my procrastination is due to me being a perfectionist, when I went to read the first link, and lo and behold, there it was listed...perfectionism. I often don't start stuff because I think it has to be done perfect, I know, logically, that this is impossible, so i just don't start.

Good link, ((Rev)), BTW. Will look at the other one later.

Great to see so many replies and ideas. I just worked 18 of the last 24 hours, so I'm giving myself a break for not getting anything done BUT work and sleep. Tomorrow....well, if I get something done besides sleep, that's another story

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-06-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i've been putting off posting on this thread since tuesday...

:rotfxko
Old 05-06-2010, 05:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

Impurrfect, I saw the bit about perfectionism too and thought of myself. I was like that for most of my 20's but after awhile I couldn't do it anymore. It was a result of constantly being put down by my father. I think (more like "I know") that that's why I am diagnosed with major depression and developed a drinking and drug problem. I always try to "get over it" but it's just not like that.
Anyway, I see how procrastination and perfectionism could go hand in hand for the reasons you stated. Interesting.
I can relate to what Rev said about how he imagined what his life would be like if he didn't procrastinate and it seems to good to be true (or words to that effect)...... I feel the same way.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

You sure are funny, augustwest.
I like "dopeless hope fiend" !!! ... but I'm just dopeless, not much hope yet. I was a huge pothead (last use 4/19/10) and now I can't sleep, can't eat, and I'm miserable. But maybe some hope will show up pretty soon.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Another thing that helps me when I have unpleasant tasks on my list, is to do the most dreaded first and plan a reward when I am done, even something small like getting out for a walk or taking a reading break.

Also, breaking a big job into small pieces helps. Like spring cleaning, just doing one room at a time makes it less overwhelming than thinking about the big picture. And I feel a sense of accomplishment as each small piece is done.

I find that I often have a worse time just thinking about doing something than I do actually doing it. Just getting started is the key for me. Like worry, procrastination is a time and energy waster and serves no useful purpose.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by Robin66 View Post
You sure are funny, augustwest.
I like "dopeless hope fiend" !!! ... but I'm just dopeless, not much hope yet. I was a huge pothead (last use 4/19/10) and now I can't sleep, can't eat, and I'm miserable. But maybe some hope will show up pretty soon.
Nice job quitting smoking before 4/20. That day had to be a beeyotch. It gets better. Do you have a support group/porgram?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

Isn't that the weirdest thing about 4/20? I've thought of that a few times. But it's just a coincidence. (spelling?)...... I had my first appointment with my new therapist at the chemical dependency clinic on 4/20, so I got stoned the night before (of course) for the last time. It's just all a coincidence. Strange. But this is off topic.......
Ann (I think it's Ann) -- I agree with breaking things into small pieces. I try to do that. It helps. I wish I could do what you do and do the hardest or least pleasant things first. I'm going to start trying to do that. It makes sense. And I agree that like worrying, procrastinating does no good at all. It is completely dysfunctional and just makes my life way worse in the long run.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

My clean date was 4/20/09 up until an unfortunate relapse in october last year. I wish i hadn't relapsed for a myriad of reasons, but i always thought it was cool to have a 4/20 clean date. It was quite surreal checking into rehab early morning on 4/20.

Anyway, all the best to you. I have over 4 months clean this time around. Anyone can do it.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Yesterday went well, in the sense that I got to some work that I had been putting off. Still, there were some other things I put off to take a nap. It's a step in the right direction, tho. Today, I need to do those things.

Rev
Old 05-06-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So how did it feel Rev? Did you feel accomplished at all, did getting some things done help you? Good luck, you're doing GREAT!!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

I always feel an immediate sense of relief and optimism whenever I tackle something I've been putting off. When you think about it, it's a wonder I procrastinate at all. I guess there's just that initial anxiety about doing something, then a well-worn habitual response of avoiding doing it. It's tougher for me, because it's not as simple as simply not doing something (like smoking or drinking; which are difficult in their own right, don't get me wrong). I've been thinking alot about it, and I have yet to come up with a good idea of what a "good day" would be versus a "bad day".

Rev