Notices

I need some..."don't do it"

Old 05-04-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
part time member

I need some..."don't do it"

I have been under terrible stress lately. My father died suddenly and I was very close to him. My cousin was just killed in a car accident and she was only 26! I am in Florida and everyone is having a wonderful time drinking and partying...I feel like crawling into a hole. Yesterday was 7 months. People say stupid things...and I would like to have one of the 4 cases of beer my darling husband bought or some of the gallon of wine he bought or the 2 huge bottles of booze that he has. This isn't going to be easy...just a little encouragement would be appreciated. Please don't be mean and tell me hateful things like I am depressed. Of course I am depressed!!

Old 05-04-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

You have alot of pain to deal with. You don't want to add to it by giving up your 7 months of sobriety.

BTW, why does your hubby have so much booze? Is he throwing a party or something?

Rev
Old 05-04-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
part time member

We will be here for two weeks and he said that he "HAS FRIENDS".
Old 05-04-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry to hear of your recent losses.

I relapsed a couple of times, both after 2 years sober. Take it from me, it's not worth it, and it doesn't make life suddenly more bearable. Or, at least it might seem that it does, but then you sober up and life is still there waiting.

It's too bad that you are around booze - that can't make it any easier. And, I know that it seems as though everyone around you is partying it up, but I suspect it just seems that way. When I first got sober, it felt like I was the only one in the world who didn't drink.

Don't throw away your sobriety - you're going through a tough spot, but you'll be stronger for it if you get through this stress without picking up. Hang in there, you aren't alone.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There's nothing so bad that drinking won't make it worse. I know. What works for me lately is asking myself "will drinking improve this situation?" or "do I want to wake up tomorrow feeling sick as hell and hating myself?" So far I don't even have to ask the second question. Stay strong. Your sobriety is worth a lot, don't throw it away. You can do this. :ghug3
Old 05-04-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im not one to talk, but I just threw away my first 9 days sober in years by having a six day binge.

I know I havent accomplished near as much as you, but I cant imagine youll feel much better than I did when I decided to throw away my sobriety.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry about your losses.

Maybe you can get away from the party stuff and do something else for awhile. Hang in there and you can get through this.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll add my don't do it. Drinking never helps us get through anything - it just keeps us in the same place...then we need more booze...

Are you seeing a counsellor LTT?

D
Old 05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LTT, don't do it....you won't feel better, you'll feel bloated, headachey and disappointed with giving up your huge accomplishment.

NO one can take away your sobriety....except you. the sun will shine tomorrow and you will look and feel much better than if you start having a drink tonight.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

What you're going through is extremely difficult, and speaking for myself as an alcoholic, I don't like to be sad (infact, I don't do strong feelings very well at all). My parents are in their 80's and I know that someday (perhaps in the not so distant future), I will have to learn to deal with the kind of grief you have. I'm encouraged that you haven't picked up that drink and instead reached out to people here. Way to go!

As for Florida and those "happy people" and little umbrellas in glasses, I always wanted to be a part of that picture, too. I imagined everyone else was having SO much fun. But it's SO temporary and followed by a miserable morning.... well, you know. The thing is, most aren't really having all that much fun drinking. They're just drunk.

Prayers going out to you.:day6
Old 05-04-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
part time member

Thanks didn't drink tonight. I will plan on not drinking tomorrow. I did eat too many peanut m & ms though. My daughter will be here on Thursday so that will be much better. She is so proud of me as well as my father. Dad was worried when he was in the hospital and I told him not to worry...I would be ok. One day at a time....words of encouragement are nice.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

I'm twenty-two. I've watched 11 people I love desperatly die in the last six years. It hurts, hell it hurts...I ain't even going to say 'don't do it'...do whatever you want, but know your actions have conseuqences. Know consequences don't care one bit for what you've got going on...they happen all the same. Also, know you ain't alone.

-Tsu
Old 05-04-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by LovesToTravel View Post
I did eat too many peanut m & ms though.
Chocolate cake for me.......
Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

****{ltt}}}
Old 05-05-2010, 04:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lovestotravel sorry for you losses. I hope and will pray that you will find some peace in all of this. Glad to hear that you did not pick up.
Dean
Old 05-05-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm proud of you and you know why.
Don't do it again today.
Your friend Marion
Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I'm very sorry to hear about your losses. Your suffering will diminish and eventually pass. Hang on. As you know, drinking will only add a new problem on top of your challenges right now that you'll have to address. It's not worth it. You can join the no matter what club. Membership is free. All you have to do is don't do it, no matter what happens in your life! You can do it!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

LTT
The "don't do it" message was exactly what I needed to hear. I'm facing the destruction in my life that was caused by years of drinking and avoidence..everyone's responses reminded me that it can only get worse if I continue. Take it from someone who lost everything because I always used alcohol to cope.. you don't want to wait until that happens to finally realize you need to stop.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

sorry to hear about your losses, those are some heavy hitters right there. The only words of encouragement i know of come from my relapse ally..... and of course you know it doesn't make things any better or dull any of the pain... but honestly, it doesn't.... at all.. not even the first drink... wish it was likes some Gatorade commercial where you feel refreshed, electrolytes are replenished, and your abs are like a washboard, but all it does it put you back in the hole you have been digging out of for the past 7 months (NEVER forget that hole. and congrats on those 7 months)
Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Sincerest condolences for your losses .

Don't do it..nope...nope...nope.