Notices

I need some..."don't do it"

Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hello-

My grandfather passed away as I was working towards sobriety. Then my father passed away when I was about 30 days sober. Just two weeks ago, my cousin passed away and I have about 120 days now. You can do the math, but this all happened pretty quickly and in early sobriety.

I stayed sober by calling my sponsor and going to meetings even though I was out of town (in FL too). The amount of suport I received from strangers who are just like me was incredible. You can do it, but you've got to stay busy and put even more into your sobriety. Now is the time to step up.

I was able to tell my father a few weeks before he passed away that I think I found an answer and even though he was bed ridden, I could see the sparkle of joy in his eyes. That in itself kept me going even though I of course was feeling very guilty and ashamed of myself (b/c of my actions while he's been dying for the last few years).

So whats your plan for today? How will you stay sober?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Only kind words here. I am sorry to hear of your losses and while you may be vulnerable.....you do not have to give in to that beast. Only through sobriety can you remain strong and I believe you will get through this tough time. Please take it each day at a time.....post here when those moments hit and if you have not already please think about counseling. Counseling has helped me tremendously.

God Bless.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I really just want to say I think that it's really... awesome that you're here posting on this board and not drinking despite what you've gone through. I'm only on day two so anyone who has as long as you do is a huge inspiration to me. And especially someone like you who is facing some serious hardships right now and is turning to advice and support and not booze...shows me that it is possible to get better. So thank you very very much for that inspiration. I was just thinking about going down to the store to get something to drink but after reading your post I'm not going to. If you can stay sober and be strong enough to face life without drinking then so can I.

And like everyone has already said, drinking isn't going to help anything. It's only going to make you feel even worse and disappointed with yourself and even more depressed.

I'd say if you can, you should get to a meeting so you can just talk about what's going on...or call someone you know from a meeting or something. Being here is great though. Do anything besides drink.

And also... maybe remove yourself from the people who are drinking. Go watch TV or take a long bath or go out for a run or to the mall or something. Or to the beach...you said you're in FL right?

I am VERY Sorry for your loss by the way. =( I know how painful it is to lose someone you love. But you KNOW that if they were here or if they are watching us from wherever they end up they'd be extremely pissed to know we were drinking.

Staying sober is ALWAYS the better option.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
part time member

Thanks all. Just one day at a time here. My daughter is here now so I can talk to her. I don't ever want to go back to where I was. Besides I look better in a swimsuit. Not good...just better than last year.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

LTT, I'm so sorry I missed this when you first posted. I am so glad, though, to see the happy ending - you didn't cave! I didn't think you would, but I'm glad you came here to talk it out. It gets easier as we face these temptations, I promise. Proud of you!