Notices

Class of May 2010

Old 05-05-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just remember - you might be in a bar, but you're still the same artsoul who posts here.

You're a non drinker now

Anyway, you can do whatever you want - it's your night for petes sake!
D
Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks Oddman and Draciack - you can bet I'll be nursing that tonic, and I know I'll be thinking about my new MayFlower Friends and excited to get back to the computer tomorrow night. I like your ideas Draciack - like spending time with different people. I know some of the people that will be coming - some are bigger drinkers, while others are not. I'll try to scope out the later crowd. I'll think of you, too, and send some good thoughts your way. I know we can get through this. Like you said, no one can make the choice for me except me.

Tomorrow we can wake up and say we were sober one more day. Yeaaahhhhh.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Just remember - you might be in a bar, but you're still the same artsoul who posts here.

You're a non drinker now

Anyway, you can do whatever you want - it's your night for petes sake!
D
ahhhh.... that was really nice, Dee, thanks. I am a non-drinker aren't I? That's a new thought, and I like it.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

I went to yoga tonight. It was great -- I feel so much better after a stressful work day. Then went to Target to get a certain "Marshmellow Treasures" cereal that my younger son loves and ended up buying $89 worth of food! Well it looks like I'm all stocked up for the weekend with yummy food and NON-ALCOHOLIC drinks. I ended up getting some yummy Italian lemon soda, a cranberry/pomagrante juice combo, and a raspberry lemonade. And some cool frozen pizzas and gnocci pasta and lots of other stuff. For some reason it really helps me to have lots of non-alcoholic drink choices to pair food with. I used to do it with wine, now I just have to substitute ....and I'll get used to it.

I am loving being a non-drinker. I finished up Day 2 and am headed into Day 3 and feel like a million bucks!

For the first time ever, I think, I have admitted defeat here. No question I'm an alcoholic. Non-alcoholics don't fall flat on their face and nearly crack their skulls open while walking their dogs. Non-alcoholics don't show up at a train museum with their son on a Saturday morning and have to puke in public after a short train ride. Non-alcoholics don't routinely polish off bottles of wine by themselves. And non-alcoholics don't suffer through hangover after hangover after hangover refusing to stop drinking and trying to "moderate" but being unsuccessful time after time.

And with acceptance of this comes peace. And a better life ahead.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Good luck Artsoul and Draciack!!! I'll be thinking of you guys and sending positive vibes your way.

I know I'll be in a difficult situation sooner or later, too, so we all have to help each other out.

I either stick with cranberry on the rocks or tonic and lime when I'm in those situations. No one seems to question it. One time when I had the cranberry everyone just assumed it was a cocktail -- of course I'm very new at this, too, so I'll be taking in everyone's tips!!!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Great suggestions & Congratulations artsoul! That's awesome! Just remember it's only an hour in a half, & since it's in your honor-there will be people to distract you with conversation & such--the time will fly. You got this!

I missed the meeting tonight...dog grooming wasn't finished in time--she looks sooo cute with the little ribbons on her ears...haha. So, I went to Walgreens & got a head start on mother's day cards & ignored all the crammed Mexican restaurants we passed along the way.

Sound like a nice finish to a stressful day Traderjane. Stretching is always soothing. I'm starting to get back into exercise, been a little rocky these past couple of weeks.

My thoughts will be with you artsoul & Draciack, you got this! Just be true to yourself
Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Traderjane - those sounds like yummy beverages. I agree, it's fun to drink something different. I always have a glass of something around - even before I was really into drinking, I constantly was sipping on coffee, diet Coke, or whatever. Sometimes I'll have two or three glasses going at the same time (and smoking a cigarette, too). I'm not anal, oh no.....! I just thought of something, though. I just might go get a decent blender and some of those juices and make some slushies. (Hope I'm not triggering anyone here?) Anyway, I thought that might be fun as well as refreshing in the summertime. Wish I could go back to doing yoga. I broke my wrist almost two years ago and am having alot of trouble with it still.

Also, I really loved what you wrote at the end of your post"
And with acceptance of this comes peace. And a better life ahead.
Thanks - it's so true.

Thanks for the support Atlas. It means alot. I really couldn't be doing this without you and the other MayFlowers. What kind of dog do you have?

Well, I guess I'd better quit for tonight and get some sleep, or at least attempt it. (My thoughts are SO weird when I'm trying to fall asleep - hope that passes soon). Goodnight all and congratulations on a successful day! See ya tomorrow!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I had my dog groomed today, too - LOL!! He looks so silly!!! Poor little guy.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:01 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

She's a Bichon Frise & her name's Daisy. Not mine though, I'm dog/house sitting for some friends who are in Cancun for their wedding (which was today!). I've known her since she was a pup though--she's my DAWG!!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:42 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Hey guys - I'm starting to get a little nervous about tomorrow night. I have to go to a bar, and yes, I mean I HAVE to. It's an event that is being done in my honor along with another artist. So just send a little positive energy my way. The good thing is it's only from 5-6:30, and there will be food. I'm feeling confident that I won't drink, but at the same time, I am also having some anxiety with it. Of course, right now, life is a little scary anyway. My plan is to order a tonic and lime (no trigger there cuz I dislike hard liquor) and I have an answer ready for anyone that hands me a glass of wine before I get my own drink.

Any ideas or suggestions? I really can't back out of this, and I know I'll have to face this kind of thing sooner or later.
Think of us, we'll be thinking of you. You will be so pleased with yourself when you get home after having had your tonic and lime, you can go to a mirror and smile at the person there, and say "Hey, I like you!" As Dee said you're a non drinker now, it's something you must repeat often to really come to believe it, but when you believe it, it helps get you moving in the right direction. I believe in you. Keep up the good work. You're already showing me it can be done, and that helps me enormously. Thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Yeah, California - it so nice to have mutual support here. Thank you so much.
Originally Posted by californiapoppy View Post
..... you can go to a mirror and smile at the person there, and say "Hey, I like you!"
I'm really looking forward to that! Something dawned on me when I read your post: by the time anyone comes here, they probably don't have a shread of self-love. I know I didn't. wow.... just one more symptom to add to the list of the insanity of it all.

Happy Sober Day to you Atlas and TraderJane! Have fun with your sweet puppies. We're going to get through this day!

Also, sending out a hello to Draciack (be thinking about you tonight!) and Oddman, Richard, snowman, Acorn, keepcomingback, Spen, Rondaveu, John0000, nancylee. (I think we have 14 Mayflowers so far. Yeah! Keep posting and let us know how you're doing every day.)
Old 05-06-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I am working from home this week. It is far less stressful. Day 3 and feeling good. Hope everyone is keeping calm and happy.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me and it's a beautiful day. Just went for a run but didn't get very far as they are re-paving the roads in my neighborhood and the my normal running route is all disrupted. Oh well! Nice to get out for a bit anyway.

I'm thinking of getting my hair cut. I have had long hair for years now and am thinking of a short sweet cut for a change. Will let you guys know if I get brave enough for that

I have to get into work and then am taking my son to Hershey Park later today. We will stay overnight in a hotel and have a fun day together at the park on Friday.

Things are good and hope all the May Flowers are good today, too!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Morning everyone! Today's going to be a great sober day. I hope everyone's doing well.

Artsoul: I'm going to send positive vibes all day via telepathic airwaves , starting now. We can do this. In fact, we will do this. Pie and cake, right?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Woke up in a bad mood.

Day 2 is here, kinda just wanna sleep through it but I don't have that option. I actually kinda feel hung over but didn't drink yesterday. I think I'm just tired. My 3 year old was up throwing up from 11 until 1am, so this is probably the problem. I hate the smell of puke, almost gagged myself. Had to hand the clean up of the inside to my wife as I stood half naked on my front lawn washing puke off a blanket. Come to think of it, if anyone had seen me they would have probably thought I was drunk and washing puke off my own blanket. Sooo glad that wasn't the case.

I'm going for a run after work too traderjane, got my running gear in the car. I would really like to become obsessed with running again rather than drinking. Hopefully I can make that happen, one day at a time.

OK.....good morning all. Here's to a good Thursday!!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Also, sending out a hello to Draciack (be thinking about you tonight!) and Oddman, Richard, snowman, Acorn, keepcomingback, Spen, Rondaveu, John0000, nancylee. (I think we have 14 Mayflowers so far.
OOOOPPPPS - I forgot you December15. That makes 15 May Flowers (your number!) So glad you're on day 3 and checking in. Keep up the good work - ODAT!

MAY FLOWERS - WE'RE BLOOMING!

OR................. MAYFLOWERS - SAILING TO A NEW WORLD!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

When I've been sober and around drinkers in the past I always found it amazing how much you notice the drinkers change in behavior after only 3 or 4 drinks. It's really quite noticeable. Kind of blew my theory that after 12 or so I thought I could mask it and nobody would know. Yeah , right.

You'll be fine artsoul. Keep your tonic in hand. You don't drink.

I overdid it on the organic cranberry juice last night. Drank 2 quarts. Slept like a baby.

Day 5.

Who ever said non-drinkers were boring?
You folks are awsome!

Keep it up Mayflowers! One day at a time!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Kind of blew my theory that after 12 or so I thought I could mask it and nobody would know.
lmao

And two quarts of cranberry juice..... lol Congrats on day 5, Richard!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by Oddman View Post
Woke up in a bad mood.

Day 2 is here, kinda just wanna sleep through it but I don't have that option. I actually kinda feel hung over but didn't drink yesterday. I think I'm just tired. My 3 year old was up throwing up from 11 until 1am, so this is probably the problem. I hate the smell of puke, almost gagged myself. Had to hand the clean up of the inside to my wife as I stood half naked on my front lawn washing puke off a blanket. Come to think of it, if anyone had seen me they would have probably thought I was drunk and washing puke off my own blanket. Sooo glad that wasn't the case.
I think day 1 and 2 were the worst for me. All I wanted to do was eat and I was SO tired but couldn't seem to sleep. I was still jumping out of my skin and really irritable, too.

By the way, I love the image of a drunk with a hose on the front lawn - that was so funny. Day 6 and I'm still a little tired, but getting less so each day. Take your vitamins (esp the B ones). You can do it!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Hey there Oddman
I was wondering if you've shared your decision to get sober with your wife?
Regardless if you haven't I'm sure she'll notice it soon enough and be pleasantly surprised!
She'll probably consider it the best Mothers Day gift possible.

Keep it up man!