Notices

Class of May 2010

Old 05-22-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Traderjane sounds like a good all around day. The heat is up humidity and the kids outside for a while, letting the wife sleep for a while so I can get to a meeting.
For those of you with the 24 hour a day book, what I have started doing besides just reading the days 24 hour reading I also read Jan 6th. It was shown to me by several persons at AA. Now I try to read 1st thing in the morning but some nights I get woken up several times, others just rushed so I get the readings in a little later. Also find them here on SR.
KGO and Norther sorry for such a short reply I am actually surprised I have had 15 minutes right now.
Thanks
Dean
Old 05-22-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Abby you will be surprised with what you can accomplish with out alcohol in the way. When I did not have to work I would start drinking as soon as I woke up, and that was after drinking all night. I had to drink to control the shakes and withdrawals
Dean
Old 05-22-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

How is everyone tonight? It's awfully quiet! I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. It's now raining here, but I had a really good day.

Just cooked this big dinner for me and my daughter -- I'm not much of a cook, so this was a big deal I grilled steaks and made broccoli with special seasoning ... we had red velvet cake with buttercream frosting for dessert. Sinful! I am finishing up with some strong decaff coffee. Most of all, I didn't feel the need to drink with all this food, so that's the good news.

Now for the clean up.....
Old 05-22-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Day 8

Hi there all of you,

So many staying sober and thriving it's awesome.
Our 8th day is glorious in that we finally have installed a fireplace (we had it installed in Holland and it really was the hearth of our home which we lost) we dragged halfway around the planet with us and now it has become once again the hearth of our new home and it's warming the place wonderfully.

Attachment 15522

Tadadatatada.

And oh yeah, we are still very sober. And the sleep, the sleep is wonderful
Old 05-22-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Day 8

Hi there all of you,

So many staying sober and thriving it's awesome.
Our 8th day is glorious in that we finally have installed a fireplace (we had it installed in Holland and it really was the hearth of our home which we lost) we dragged halfway around the planet with us and now it has become once again the hearth of our new home and it's warming the place wonderfully.

Attachment 15522

Tadadatatada.

And oh yeah, we are still very sober. And the sleep, the sleep is wonderful.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Yo sober homeslices

Thanks for all the updates! So happy to hear that you are all doing well! I am too as far as the drinking. I am kind of struggling with obsessing about the past - I posted my question on how to get past that in another thread, but I would be appreciative of your answers in how you are dealing with any feelings of self condemnation

Have a great Sunday and keep up the good work!

Mmmmmm... maybe I just need some BACON.

Hugs,

Pork
Old 05-23-2010, 07:14 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Good morning! We had heavy rains, thunder and lightning during the night here so I kept waking up. It's a dreary looking Sunday morning, but I'm sober, clear headed and not hungover! How wonderful is that. I can't remember the last completely sober weekend I have had. In fact, I'm proud of myself (pat on back!) Gotta get up and get the coffee brewing and figure out my plans for the day. My daughter's softball game was canceled due to field conditions, so it's kind of wide open at this point.

Porkchopped, I practice yoga and it has helped me tremendously in terms of self-love, acceptance of myself, that I'm exactly who I'm supposed to be and where I'm supposed to be. There is a lot of philosophy in my classes about living in the present, letting go of mistakes made in the past, forgiving yourself. I don't know if that's an option for you, but it has helped me a lot. Even if you are not interested in yoga, there are books on this stuff related to zen practice, living in the present, etc. I don't know if that helps, but we do need to let go of the past else it haunts us and eats away at us. Think about enjoying today and today only ... what a great gift it is to be alive and how you are going to make the most of this day.

I hope others are doing well! I'm on Day 4 again. It's possible to keep getting up when you fall down. The key for me is learning how NOT to fall down again.

Happy Sunday.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It's so good to wake up and read how all the Flowers are doing this weekend!
(porkchopped - I almost fell out laughing: "yo sober homeslices!!!!!" That's the best yet! haha)

RGO - I don't think I gave you an official welcome, but it's great to have you here, and congratulations on a week sober. Hang in there and keep posting!!

Hello California - how's the weather in the south of France? Glad to know you're going strong. Margareth, I have a wonderful image of you and hubby enjoying that fireplace with a cup of coffee/tea. Is it still chilly this time of year where you are? Love being able to talk with people all around the world!

I've already accomplished more in a few hours than I usually do all weekend due to drinking and the apathy that accompanies it.
I know, Abby!
I've spent alot of time here at SR and sitting around, and I still have more time than I used to. And the time I do have I can do so many more things because I'm not feeling half sick.

Hello trader, dk, draciack, norther, crow (enjoyed talking to you on chat last
night, crow!) My weekend was kinda boring but I made it through. I'm in that limbo stage between not drinking and not knowing quite what I want to do with myself. But I must say, like you trader, when I wake up each morning I'm so grateful I can open my eyes right away and get up easily, rather than laying there and having to think about whether/when/how I was going to get out of bed and what hurt the most. So, Sunday morning and I'm ready for today. Have a good one everyone!

Roses are red, violets are blue, if the Flowers can do it - so can you! go team!!! ODAAT!! yea! yea! yea!

And for you porkchopped - go slices, yeah!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Starting off day 7 in a great way - sober and leisurely enjoying a cup of coffee. No nausea, no head fog, no lost time from last night. Last night I watched a movie with my friend, one of many mundane events I usually convinced myself would be better if I were drunk. Surprise, surprise...still fun! And I wasn't obsessing the whole time about when I could get my next drink, how not to appear too drunk to my friend, etc.

A reality check: Today I'm going to visit a college friend who was just released from prison. Our sophomore year, he drove drunk with his friends and got into a car crash that killed his best childhood friend. He spent the last 2 years serving time. He is one of the sweetest and most positive friends I made in college, and it has been difficult to watch him go through this experience and see how alcohol changed his life forever. It just reminds me how deadly and insidious an influence alcohol can be, and how lucky I am to still have a chance to change things around.

Thanks,
Abby
Old 05-23-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Porkchopped, I'm struggling with self-condemnation as well. It's a difficult concept, especially when tied to the idea of being powerless over alcohol. How much blame should I assess myself when, after that first drink, I lost all self-control, perspective, and (too be honest) insanity? I'm still not sure. What makes it even more complicated is the fact that I did not even realize alcohol was a problem until something catastrophic nearly happened, and this was after I almost failed out of school, destroyed numerous relationships, and was blacking out on a consistent basis. It's all very confusing . My current theory is that I should have been more aware of the warning signs...but, hell, not being aware indicates just how powerful the alcohol delusions are.

So, my suggestion? Crap happens, you're on the right path now and that's all that matters. Rock and roll. Oh, and Step 9 of the Twelve Steps recommends making amends to people we've harmed whenever possible, except when to do so would cause further harm. So that is an option as well.

By the way, THANK YOU for recommending SleepyTime herbal tea. Works like a charm.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Hi, enjoyed a nice Sunday afternoon. Really a beautiful day except the cottonwood snowflake things are falling like crazy.
Porkchopped and draziack, excellent idea self condemnation. If there is anything that I am almost perfect at is beating myself up. I have been back and forth with my sobriety several times. I not sure how to explain it or use it as an excuse but several of my relapse, that self condemnation really help me get to that first drink. I hope somehow that makes sense. I remember last month reading a couple of good threads or posts about this. Will try to remember.
Abby hope that your meet goes well with your friend.
Need to make a checklist so I can remember what is going on with everyone.
I am just trying to relax watching and listening to the kids out back. Nice and peaceful at the moment.
Traderjan are you cooking out again today. Nice weather here today in Detroit.

Thanks
Dean
Old 05-23-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Trying to decide what to cook tonight, Dean. The weather has been really "iffy" here... but the George Foreman indoor grill works well regardless!

The sun is out now so I'm going to take my dog for a little walk while the going is good. I have had a lazy day today so far... good for the soul. I'm trying not to feel guilty about not getting anything done. I always put too much pressure on myself to get stuff done, even on the weekends, when sometimes what I need is to just sit back and enjoy life.

Later, all!
Old 05-23-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

One thing I have always hard time is my emotions just like now, are kinda going crazy. I know I have a lot going on but I have an enjoyable day with kids a couple of their friends came over still here but playing nice. Trying not to think to much farther ahead than tonight. I know I have a few things to do coming up but its all done just drop off a few things. I should hear something from my employer this week. Its a scary thought of what could happen if I get fired.
I do not know it was on my mind so thanks. Had to get it off my mind.
Traderjane my foreman grill is somewhere but the outside grill is ready probable just just marinated chicken.

Artsoul just wondering where your at how bad is the oil spill? I have not been watching the news lately just seems like there too much going lately.

Thanks again
Dean
Old 05-23-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Having kind of a low energy day... not sure what's wrong with me. In the past, this would be a good excuse to run to the wine store and pick up a bottle to "spice things up." I know where that leads, and it's not good!

It's amazing how many excuses we find to drink --- stress, boredom, fatigue, celebrating something good that happened, etc. I drank for all of those reasons.

So for now... I'll just carry on and try to be content with things as they are.

Grilling chicken tonight too, Dean!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Day 9

It is day 9 here down under and we just woke up. No hangover, things to do and a home holiday to do them in. What joy.

traderjane, you are right it was a bit quiet yesterday but I'm happy to see everybody back. Good to see you're still on the wagon and aiming to stay there.

Artsoul, that in between feeling for me is the most dangerous time. Sobriety and not yet enough energy to take up all my old crafts and get back to that wonderful feeling of achieving and enjoying the process are the crossroad.

Do you remember when in the past you had something you really enjoyed doing but couldn't anymore because of alcohol? Try to get back to that.

Mine are making clothes, knitting, beads, embroidery (all the stuff that was so uncool when I tried to fit in with the fast crowd and buying cheap crappy clothes made in China was easier) and all that stuff.

Now that I live far away from cities and in need of those skills again I'm sooo going to enjoy them again. What's more I have a lot of people that are going all starry eyed when I tell them I love doing that stuff because they have never had the chance to learn them and desperately want to learn and I live to teach.

Anyway what I was trying to say is why don't you do a workshop or something because there is nothing like a project that needs finishing to keep you from taking that first drink. That would be a waste of a good evening to do it in. Take it from me. I've been there.

I live in New Zealand and while you up there are going into summer we down here are going into winter. Hence the necessity for a fire place. May equals November over here and while where I live it resembles the North of Spain and does not get deep snow cold (only a little frost on the ground) it can still be very nippy.

Think of us with an old Dutch favourite of Aniseed milk in the evening (Great for putting you to sleep) and big 15 lr. cast iron pan of soup on the fire.

Very homesteading. LOL.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Originally Posted by dkayvins125 View Post

Artsoul just wondering where your at how bad is the oil spill?
At the risk of bringing doom and gloom to this group these are some links to some sites. They give a devastating insight into what the oil spill is doing at the moment.

Gulf of Mexico oil spill: BP tube sucks crude from well but gallons already in Gulf Stream | Mail Online

Oil trails in Gulf of Mexico are up to 10 miles long as BP continues its fight to stem flow from broken rig | Mail Online

Gulf of Mexico oil spill: NASA images show how slick is spreading to Florida | Mail Online

Funny enough all daily mail. A newspaper so Mainstream it must in reality be even more devastating.

Sorry to be the nearer of bad news.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Margareth - you can really paint a picture! Sounds lovely - it truly does. I have alot of projects/interests too, and I'm slowly getting more and more physical/emotion energy to put into them. Number one is my painting because it pays the mortgage. I'm feeling good about things today, though, and excited about making it a good, creative week. I love making jewelry, too, but I used to do it while drinking, so I may have to wait a while before picking that up again.

trader and Dean - I'm jealous of your grilled chicken - yummy! I made a cold tuna pasta salad (trying to fill up the kids for little $). I'll have to get some chicken out of the freezer for tomorrow, now that I'm thinking it sounds so good. I had a blah day yesterday, trader. It scared me a little because I was worried my good feelings, even about sobriety, might be fading permanently. But, this morning, I woke up happy again. I know I can't expect every day to be sunshine and roses, but it's hard not to get thrown off with mood changes right now. Still, I think things will balance themselves out in time.

dk - you mentioned emotions, too. Seems you have some extra stuff going on. I'm sorry to hear you're worried about your job. That's a pretty big deal. I hope things work out (let us know!) As far as the spill: I'm about an hour from the gulf and was down there a couple weeks ago. People are pretty worried and I feel for all the fisherman and people who have businesses on the beach. There's still mostly vacant slabs along the shore from Hurricane Katrina, and now this....... Seems crazy that BP can't seem to fix it. My son works for Chevron off shore, so it kinda hits close to home, too. Sorry, more information than you need!!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

The grilled chicken came out well!!! I was pleased and will plan on doing that again soon.

Yes, I had the blahs this afternoon/evening. My friend used to call them the "Sunday night blues." I wasn't really tempted to drink, as I knew that would just be masking the whole problem (and creating additional problems for myself on Monday) but I did decide to go for a run/bike ride. It helped. I'm still kind of tired, so maybe a good night's sleep is what I need. In summary, though, I'm doing okay

This thread helps so much to know I'm not the only one going through this!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Yikes. Tonight marked my most powerful craving yet - actually kind of scary how strong it was. I reeeeeally had to think through how it would feel to wake up tomorrow morning feeling hungover and remorseful, and how the guilt of losing my 7 days sober would probably lead me to another bender. All for a few hours of temporary relief.

Today I got some bad news about work that I'll have to deal with, and that news plus some other personal stress got me really craving some escape. BUT I didn't drink....I ate some comfort food for dinner and drank some root beer instead. I'm trying to focus on one step at a time, that step being not drinking today. Reminding myself that drinking won't take my problems away and will only make them worse. Thank you for being here. Thinking about all your kindness and support this past week helped keep me sober tonight.

Abby
Old 05-23-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

If you've got room for one more in the class of May 2010, I'm Stephanie and I'm an alcoholic...who had almost nine months sober but started a series of relapses about a month ago. My latest and hopefully last sobriety date is 5-20-10, which puts me about on day four today. I'm trying to do 90 in 90, and I'm glad to be back here at SR.