Notices

New here

Old 04-30-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi everyone,

My name is Lilly and I just wanted to say a little about myself as an introduction I guess! I'm a 22 year old law student from Melbourne, Australia. I have had OCD for about 6 years which at some times has been very severe. I started self-medicating with alcohol at 17 years old. However, only in very moderate amounts. Over the past year or two, the amount of alcohol that I have been drinking has increased steadily. Just in the past 6 months some unfortunate and stressful personal events that happened has made my drinking spiral out of control. I have been sober since the 18th of April this year. Everyday is getting easier but there are moments where I struggle so much that I came here for the support and to be able to write down my feelings and ask advice to help me through these times. At the same time I would like to offer my friendship and support to others.
I hope to get to know you all!

Lilly xoxo
Old 04-30-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Lilly! I'm new here, too. Well, kind of new. I posted here about five years ago, but I started drinking again....never really quit for long. My last drink was on April 18th, also. I've been hanging out on the April 2010 thread a lot. It's a mix of people who got sober in April of this year and people who have lots of years in. Come join us!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

..Lilly..good to meet another 'aussie'..

only good things can happen here..keep postin'..OZboy..:ghug3
Old 04-30-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi Lilly and welcome,

I have only been sober for nearly 5 days and just wanted to say hi and that you have come to a great place full of experience of those that have been before and those of us trying our best to change our lives for the better now by not drinking.

I recognised at your age that my drinking was out of control. I knew it within myself and others new it too. Am very glad you have reached out so young, wish I did.

The first few days here I read and read and read and read and it helped enormously.

Am an aussie as well.....

Again, welcome
Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Lilly.

Another Aussie here

I self medicated for many years too - the descent into something quite out of control was very quick for me too

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 04-30-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and congrats on deciding to stop drinking. I hope we can help you to stay sober.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!! So glad you found us and know that you have our support in your recovery. There is so much to found on this site form experiences to the stickies.

I sobered up around the same time so I know that with each day it does get better.

Looking forward to our recovery.

All the Best!!
Old 05-01-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up New To Recovery

Hi Lilly,

Welcome to sober Recovery. My drinking started out the same way as yours with multiple tragic events adding up over the years & I stopped taking my antidepressant & self medicated with alcohol. The amount I drank gradually increased with each event that came along until I was dependent on alcohol everyday after work just to finish out the day.

I got to the point that I was willing to do anything to get sober & stay sober. I was 48 years old & had the youngest daughter of five children with me when I made an appointment at Mental Health where the Alcohol Program was situated.

I had a medical detox in our local hospital & after six days was released & started AA. I went to alcohol in-patient treatment & when I returned continued AA meetings every evening & counseling for major depression that had been dx when I was a teen. I have 21 years of sobriety when at first I felt it would be impossible to stay sober a week.

I found Sober Recovery by accident & have been here off & on since then. You will find lots of support here & gain knowledge from our experiences, strengths & hope.

kelsh
Old 05-01-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone so much for your kind replies. And thank you Gwyntissel for pointing me towards the April 2010 thread! It is so comforting to read everyone's posts and forums and knowing I don't have to go through this alone.