Notices

Dr. G. medical examiner

Old 04-30-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dr. G. medical examiner

Anyone know that show? It's a reality show about an autopsy doctor, sometimes when I stumble upon it I'll watch.
Today (probably a rerun, I'm in Europe) was about a guy that fell off his boat and ended up dying from a heart attack cause he panicked (bad arteries).

He had double the legal amount of alcohol in his body which caused him to probably make some fatal desicions, like taking off his life jacket in the hot Florida sun. The doc said:" you'd be surprised how many deaths we call "accidents" are actually related in some way to alcohol."

Now ain't that the truth! Just thought I'd share.
x
Old 04-30-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

There's a 20/20 coming on soon about women who are alcoholics. I had to laugh at the commercial, because they make it sound like no one knew that women could have a drinking problem before they (20/20) discovered it. Hopefully, the show will focus more on how it is a health problem that affects people from all walks of life, and avoid the more sensational approaches they could take. I know that's asking alot of television, but I honestly think we, as a society, haven't gone far enough to de-stigmatize this disease, and as long as people think they have a character flaw, and not a disease, it's going to continue to be difficult for alcoholics to be honest with themselves about their drinking.

Rev
Old 04-30-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is true, and sad. There's a case, here in a north Atlanta city where a SWAT officer died in a boating "accident" and "alcohol is a contributing factor". Sad thing is, when I read the article, the guy (another SWAT officer) that he was with has been arrested for not telling the truth of what happened, and he's someone who used to come in the restaurant I worked at. Hits way too close to home.

We've aso had a rash of fatalities from people driving the wrong way on the interstate, recently - every single one was "alcohol related". It wasn't always the inebriated person who died.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rev View Post
There's a 20/20 coming on soon about women who are alcoholics. I had to laugh at the commercial, because they make it sound like no one knew that women could have a drinking problem before they (20/20) discovered it. Hopefully, the show will focus more on how it is a health problem that affects people from all walks of life, and avoid the more sensational approaches they could take. I know that's asking alot of television, but I honestly think we, as a society, haven't gone far enough to de-stigmatize this disease, and as long as people think they have a character flaw, and not a disease, it's going to continue to be difficult for alcoholics to be honest with themselves about their drinking.

Rev
Yes will be hard for them to let the sensational side slide as you say, telly is awful that way.
And the road to de-stigmatize is still long, as with all "products" that involve a billion-dollar industry it takes a lot of effort, it not being in the pocket-filling interest of a small but powerful lobby.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
It is true, and sad. There's a case, here in a north Atlanta city where a SWAT officer died in a boating "accident" and "alcohol is a contributing factor". Sad thing is, when I read the article, the guy (another SWAT officer) that he was with has been arrested for not telling the truth of what happened, and he's someone who used to come in the restaurant I worked at. Hits way too close to home.

We've aso had a rash of fatalities from people driving the wrong way on the interstate, recently - every single one was "alcohol related". It wasn't always the inebriated person who died.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
What the doc said really hit home, harming yourself "accidentally" because of alcohol, was me minus dying. Got off with some stiches and occasional bruising. But I could have just as easily snapped my neck when falling or something. "Accidentaly" harming others, I came close.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Only time I've ever broken a bone was when I was drunk. Twisted my ankle the wrong way so hard that it snapped my tibia.

Rev
Old 04-30-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hypercube

Yeah, I managed to sever the nerve in my thumb while drunk.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hannitized

I enjoy watching Dr. G. as does my 13 YO daughter. It is educational and what's more, my daughter learns that actions have consequences that are vastly hidden from our sight...but alas- the damage still occurs.

I have heard Dr. G say that alcohol brings many people to her morgue in one way or another. It is sad and sobering to me and I hope to my daughter as well.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
In my first week of ER, I had heard about but not yet experienced the accidents that would inevitably come roughly 30 to 60 minutes after the bars closed.

The first case I witnessed was a teenager who had been in a major car crash. Can't remember how old he was - maybe 19? He came in around 0145. Almost everyone in that ER was crowded around the table and in the room trying to help - even if they couldn't contribute anything of a practical nature. Then they opened him up and the smell of booze instantly filled the room. It was if someone had dropped a mickey of whiskey on the floor. I recall one of the nurses involuntarily utter some small sound indicating disgust but everyone was otherwise silent as all the non-essential staff quietly exited the room.

I remember being asked to take up some of the kid's samples and also retrieved additional blood and plasma units. The kid ended up dying. Saw the parents arrive and watched as the head ER physician joined them and closed the door behind him. About 10 seconds later, we all heard a huge wailing cry from his mother.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Damn.

Rev
Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by north View Post
In my first week of ER, I had heard about but not yet experienced the accidents that would inevitably come roughly 30 to 60 minutes after the bars closed.

The first case I witnessed was a teenager who had been in a major car crash. Can't remember how old he was - maybe 19? He came in around 0145. Almost everyone in that ER was crowded around the table and in the room trying to help - even if they couldn't contribute anything of a practical nature. Then they opened him up and the smell of booze instantly filled the room. It was if someone had dropped a mickey of whiskey on the floor. I recall one of the nurses involuntarily utter some small sound indicating disgust but everyone was otherwise silent as all the non-essential staff quietly exited the room.

I remember being asked to take up some of the kid's samples and also retrieved additional blood and plasma units. The kid ended up dying. Saw the parents arrive and watched as the head ER physician joined them and closed the door behind him. About 10 seconds later, we all heard a huge wailing cry from his mother.
Devastating for everyone involved, your last sentence sent shivers up my spine, imagining my son instead.
Makes me wonder, tobacco used to be widely accepted and isn't anymore (I still smoke), but how come alcohol still is actually?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

An ER Doc friend of mine told me he'd be out of a job if people stopped drinking... probably true!