Notices

Day four

Old 04-28-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day four

Just stumbled across this forum and signed up. I never thought of myself as addicted to alcohol, but my behavior tells a different story. Alcohol has progressed to a point in my life where I'm drinking every day, I always have booze around, and I can't stop with one glass of wine or one drink. Open that bottle and its gone. One jack and coke turns into four+. Someone asked me the last day I didn't have a drink, and I couldn't answer.

I've only recently come to the realization that this might be a problem -- maybe because I always thought that unless you were putting away a fifth of vodka, missing days at work, etc. that it was just normal. I feel somewhat like an idiot actually, since as I look back over the past five years, nearly all the arguments at home, ruined events, etc. have been related to drink. I have a new 8 month old daughter, and its time I put a stop to things for the better.

Thanks for listening. Today is day four...
Old 04-28-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Don't feel dumb in not seeing the signs. We don't see what we don't want to see. Know what I mean? Its great you're putting a stop to it now. Your daughter doesn't ever have to see anything but a parent who is recovered. Pretty awesome gift to her and to you.

You'll find a lot of support in SR. If it doesn't do it for you though try something more. My motto when I first stopped and now is "Do anything but drink." Good luck and again, welcome.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

....Welcome to our recovery community

Glad you are here and are heading into a better future.
You never have to drink again.
You really are doing the correct thing by stopping now.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
04-04-2011

Welcome.

Congrats on 4 days! This is a great place to get advice and support. Lots of awesome people here.

Keep coming back and keep up the good work. You CAN do it!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome... Glad you are here
Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job and welcome to the forum Deschain! I'm at Day 5 myself and can tell you that this forum is nothing short of a goldmine for both resources and awesome people.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Giving up drinking is the smart thing to do. Alcohol can cause so many problems that living sober is a wise choice.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick responses and voices of support.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Deschain

I think not seeing the signs is pretty common - not only is alcoholism insidious in the way it advances, but noone really wants to wake up one day and admit they have a problem.

Glad to have you aboard
Welcome!

D
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Deschain,
I'm so proud of you for recognizing that it is a problem. I read somewhere that when the time comes that we worry we might have a problem, we already do. Your daughter is going to also be very proud of you one day for realizing that you did this for her.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome from me too. I'm a lot older than you & it took a lot longer before alcohol became a driver in my life, but it did. And it wasn't pretty. My one and only daughter is now almost 30. During her teen years I was a full blown hiding it alcoholic. I still managed my career and did all the things I was supposed to do but she knew. It wasn't until last year that it became unmanageable. I was blacking out, binging, it was really sad before I said enough is enough. And I am 59. Don't let your life become mine. Stop it now!! You can. You have to. For your daughter. And her safety. You may not realize it but you are LUCKY because you are recognizing it early. You don't say anything about your spouse, but don't you think you should have a heart to heart about this with her? She knows. Spouses always do. My husband knew about my hiding and occasionally called me on it but he is pretty much a conflict avoidance person. At any rate, learn from my mistakes. I've got a lot of years of mistakes under my belt. You don't have to repeat them. Stop now. Be open with your wife and be a good sober dad to your daughter. And, one thing we did when our daughter was little (and this was way back before digital) we took tons of pictures. And we didn't throw them in a box. I meticulously put them in albums, labeled them with dates, other comments, etc. Now, whenever she visits, (which isn't very often) she always loves to look at her old baby/toddler/etc pictures. Stay strong. She only has one DAD.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Asta1 View Post
Welcome from me too. I'm a lot older than you & it took a lot longer before alcohol became a driver in my life, but it did. And it wasn't pretty. My one and only daughter is now almost 30. During her teen years I was a full blown hiding it alcoholic. I still managed my career and did all the things I was supposed to do but she knew. It wasn't until last year that it became unmanageable. I was blacking out, binging, it was really sad before I said enough is enough. And I am 59. Don't let your life become mine. Stop it now!! You can. You have to. For your daughter. And her safety. You may not realize it but you are LUCKY because you are recognizing it early. You don't say anything about your spouse, but don't you think you should have a heart to heart about this with her? She knows. Spouses always do. My husband knew about my hiding and occasionally called me on it but he is pretty much a conflict avoidance person. At any rate, learn from my mistakes. I've got a lot of years of mistakes under my belt. You don't have to repeat them. Stop now. Be open with your wife and be a good sober dad to your daughter. And, one thing we did when our daughter was little (and this was way back before digital) we took tons of pictures. And we didn't throw them in a box. I meticulously put them in albums, labeled them with dates, other comments, etc. Now, whenever she visits, (which isn't very often) she always loves to look at her old baby/toddler/etc pictures. Stay strong. She only has one DAD.
Yep - she knows. I did leave that out, but my wife having a heart to heart with me (which I didn't take well -- go figure) is the biggest part of wake up call. I'm lucky she is so supportive.

Its day 5....
Old 04-30-2010, 07:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Woohoo!!!! Day 5!!! Every day sober is a gift!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and newfound sobriety. Stay strong and know that you are part of caring and supportive community. Your story is so familiar and I know many of us have been there in terms of accepting what we are.

Alcohol crept up on me and from the occasional few beers with friends turned into a daily, hidden, drink alone habit of rum/coke or wine. I could polish off bottles in an evening to the point that I would put off sleep because I couldn't get enough.

I would gulp half a glass when no one was looking and run and refill it before anyone noticed. To most I had maybe 3 when in actually I had about 10. I was very good at doing this and the worst part was that I knew it was wrong and I was ashamed but yet refused to admit I had a problem.

Finally, my hubby (who like many spouses know but don't say anything) said Kim, I don't like you when you are drunk. You aren't the person I know you to be are you the person I love. I can't take seeing your like this and it hurts me. Right then I broke down...cried and said I have a problem....I'm an alcoholic. I just didn't care at that point....I couldn't live this lie anymore. I did relapse several months later but am now 15 days sober.

Many of us have tried to cut back, hop on the wagon a bit but it isn't until we dump the alcohol and admit to ourselves that we can never just have one does it stick.

Withdrawal and early sobriety are challenging but we didn't become alcoholics overnight so recovery will be a lifelong journey.

Looking forward to following your recovery and know we are here for you.

All the Best!!