Notices

Coming to grips with it all

Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming to grips with it all

Hi,

I’m a 26 y/o male from Australia slowly coming to grips with my problems. I guess I started hitting the bottle hard some 3 years ago with it getting progressively worse up to this point.

My binge drinking has started to worry myself, my wife & my family. That, coupled with reckless behavior. I’ve recently lost my drivers licence for speeding, on my motorcycle, well over the limit and in turn have lost my job as a truck driver. As most of you probably know, idle hands are not a good thing for a drinker.

Three weeks ago I was riding to the shops to get grog, too drunk, and came off snapping my radius. The only positive I could make from the whole situation was that I had a script for oxycodone.

I’ve recently married in December 2009 and my relationship is already starting to deteriorate from my agitated, anxious behavior. I feel like hope is slowly disappearing. So, at this point in time, I’ve no drivers licence, no job, a broken arm in a cast and a marriage on the rocks and alcohol is more tempting than ever.

I had a chat to one of my mums friends last night who was an alcoholic/heroin addict and she told me communication with others in a similar boat is very helpful & is what saved her life through 12 steps. Anyway, I thought this would be a good place to start & I thank you for reading.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
04-04-2011

Welcome!

Definitely a good place to start. Lots of great people here with good advice and tons of encouragement.

Keep coming back; reading and posting. It's been great therapy for me so far (I'm finishing day 5).

Hang in there. You can do it!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! SR is a great place to start! You'll find lots of good information here and some very great people! Stick around!

Love,

Lenina
Old 04-27-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bobby

Always good to have another Aussie round the place

Your mums friend is on the ball - alcohol won't get you out of any of the crap you're in - but support and fellowship with other alcoholics just might, mate

I reckon having a look at a meeting couldn't hurt - certainly no less than you're hurting now....and whatever you do, keep posting here.

This is a great place

Welcome
D
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Always good to have another Aussie round the place
Oh, so there's not a plague of us here yet?

Thanks for the quick responses & kind words.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbydigital View Post
Oh, so there's not a plague of us here yet?
Not as of yet, but we're working on it!

Welcome to the support mate, it'll be an eye-opening read to realise that you are definitely not alone.

Continue to read the posts and I guarantee you'll find people with similar experiences as yours who were able to push past and recover.

Remember that turning back to drinking will only further push these issues of yours down a darker path.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tipsytoangry View Post
Welcome to the support mate, it'll be an eye-opening read to realise that you are definitely not alone.

Continue to read the posts and I guarantee you'll find people with similar experiences as yours who were able to push past and recover.

Remember that turning back to drinking will only further push these issues of yours down a darker path.
Thanks mate, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Lots of support and good advice here. I hope we can help you get and stay sober.