Notices

No more excuses

Old 05-01-2010, 02:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yeah, it wasn't a smart decision on my part to put myself in that situation, but I did. So, now I'm focusing on what I've learned from it.

I am still in denial to a degree. Lifestyle changes aren't easy and the endless lame excuses unfortunately are. I do realize that my attempts to control & test myself just highlights the fact that I have a problem.

I need a sober network of friends. This is a great network. It would really suck to keep changing my day of sobriety. I agree with "hoping" merely being an idea & completely different from taking necessary action.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Atlas, I wish you well in your quest for sobriety. You will know when you are ready because you will toss the booze and be committed to living each day sober. It took me quite some time and deteriorated health to figure that one out.

God Bless
Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
6/20/08

SR really is an awesome network of people wanting to help. Keep coming back.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It's not about will power, ultimately... nor is it about your date of sobriety... It is about getting recovered.

Keep posting here, read, reach out... there are many seeming paradoxes on this road...

Mark
Old 05-01-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Welcome... I was in a similar place 9 months ago. With a little work it gets a lot beter. My only suggestion is to hang around here (sr) and come up with a plan that makes sense to you. You are so right in that balance is key and to me the right balance is different for every one.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Atlas - You summed me up when you said "the sound of having a drink after a drink just sounds too good." When I think of how many times I've tried to be a social drinker, it boggles my mind. I don't think I've ever left a drink on the table with alcohol still in it like I've seen other people do. I've never turned it down because I was taking medication. It got to the point where I didn't want to go to functions if there would be no drinking. I've had times when I only drank one or two, but that was really hard and I only did it because the people I was with only had one or two. The real insanity of it is to wake up saying "no more," only to seek it out after a day or two.

I have a couple events coming up that are going to be very tempting (i.e. free drinks). My plan is to ignore the wine glass in front of me, go straight to the bar and get a club soda and lime. I figure as long as I'm sipping on something, no one will care. I sure hope it works, cuz I'm really sick of trying to control my drinking. It's way too much work....

I think it's great that you're here and you're being honest with yourself. Keep it up!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
It got to the point where I didn't want to go to functions if there would be no drinking.
Just a shared experience...

A couple weeks ago, believe it was April 17th, we had an Earth day celebration at a state park & my friend and I couldn't believe that they were not serving ANY alcohol on the premises. We were shocked even. So, we walked a few blocks to a Chili's & hit up happy hour for awhile. I don't believe the vast majority of people enjoying the BEAUTIFUL day at the park were as concerned as we were to get "buzzed"--which quickly turned into getting pretty wasted.

Great thought process indeed.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by AtlasMcGee View Post
We were shocked even. .
yeah, right?! I know!

What are the statistics? Like 1 in 10 has a problem with alcohol? That means that 90% of the world is going on with their lives without having to run to Chilis for happy hour! whoa.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Exactly!! I took an ABC class a couple months back and the lady giving the class told us that only 10% of the population drinks ALL the alcohol...meanwhile I was thinking..."that can't be true, because everyone I know drinks..." haha, wow

welcome to the other side of 10%, hello 90%, hope you're ready for us
Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I second that, Atlas

Suddenly, I'm thinking screw the beer - I want some chocolate cake - NOW
(another w/d symptom - geez!)
Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yummm...chocolate cake sounds great. I have been eating a lot! I had baklava today & a gyro...sooo good. I guess an appetite is better than no appetite, but MAN! the park's closed due to flooding & that's my gym! ...haha
Old 05-04-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

tennessee is a mess right now. i hope you and all your friends and family are ok atlas.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thank you. We're fine, A LOT of people are without homes, but the community is pulling together very nicely & a lot of people are making plans to help out in this process. Great volunteer opportunities for the weeks to come. It's hard for the community to even acknowledge all the repercussions, but one day at a time I reckon.

We have to have flood insurance where I live & it didn't even get that bad. I just keep others without insurance in my thoughts...I couldn't even imagine.
Thanks again.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for you and all those others affected by these floods Atlas.

D