SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   1 whole month (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/199514-1-whole-month.html)

Snarf 04-24-2010 05:15 AM

1 whole month

It was 1 month ago today, March 24, that I took my last drink. The month has brought many new experiences, and I'm learning how to deal with them sober.

The first 2 weeks I buried myself in meetings. 4 in a day, maybe 3, sometimes only 2, but that's where I was all the time. It was the only safe place I knew to be. The last 2 weeks have been a little different. Not going to meetings as much, because I'm working overtime trying to fix some of the damage I caused. I'm working extra hours to try to stabilize my financial situation. I'm doing a lot of schoolwork to try to catch up on some things I slacked on this semester. And I'm spending a lot of time at home with my fiancee. We've been together 7 years, but she missed out on spending time with me even when I was home, because I was drunk and not focusing on here. I've got a lot of lost time to make up for.

I will be going back to meetings on a more regular, and hopefully daily, basis. I felt bad for missing them a couple days, but right now there are some things that have gone unattended for too long and they need to be rectified. I'll get back into the routine, but it's been imperative that I do certain things at the beginning of my sobriety.

This site has been a Godsend. Even when I didn't have the time to drive to a meeting, or if it was too late to go when I got off work, I've been able to come here and speak with my friends and read everyone's posts. I'm so very thankful for SR and all the wonderful people here. You guys have helped me so much, and I only pray that I may be able to help someone else.

I hope everyone has a great day and an awesome weekend. Take care, guys and girls! :shine8pl:

Marlow 04-24-2010 05:32 AM

Great stuff Snarf! One month is quite an accomplishment. Take alot of pride in that. Great men and women have been felled by this disease, so just think, you've done what Winston Churchill couldn't do!

flutter 04-24-2010 05:38 AM

That first month is so hard.. well done! Before you know it, and with lots of hard work.. the months will seem to just fly by :)

least 04-24-2010 06:03 AM

Congrats on one month sober!! :c011:

Reubena 04-24-2010 06:59 AM

Awesome on one month, Snarf!

nocoincidence56 04-24-2010 07:01 AM

Congratulations! One month is not an easy task. Keep this in mind,though,it will seem tempting, and quite logical, to shift focus from meetings and recovery, for more immediate or important things. Beware! I'm not saying you will but, I've seen it happen, even done it myself early on. The results range from being miserable to being without defense against the first drink. When you put God/recovery first, everything you put second becomes first class. Took me a while to grasp the real meaning of it from my perspective but it so true. Keep first things first and you will realize a life you could have never dreamed. The ability to enjoy life, the ability to deal with adversity without drinking, and the overall change in living in reality. These are just to name a few of the wonderful things which await you but, the cost is keeping your program of recovery first! Anything else is putting the cart before the horse.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Keep it up, don't slack off, keep trying everyday, regardless!

:c011:

WakeUp 04-24-2010 07:03 AM

Great job on one month snarf, and remember, keep everything in balance.

CarolD 04-24-2010 08:31 AM

:funjump:

coffeenut 04-24-2010 08:36 AM

You are learning a lot, Snarf! Awesome job on your month!

FrankBarone 04-24-2010 08:50 AM

Good job, Snarf. Not far behind you.

kyb5 04-24-2010 09:04 AM

Congrats! Keep it up.

four812 04-24-2010 09:43 AM

WAY TO GO SNARF.....I've to had some overtime, and that's put me at 1 meeting or 2 a day, instead of 2 or 3. many of my meetings are only 1 mile from where I live and that helps eliminate my drive time.

hey I'm one day behind you.

keep up the good work

NEOMARXIST 04-24-2010 10:09 AM

Nice one on 1 month!!! Keep on keeping on!!

Peace

NewBeginning010 04-24-2010 10:09 AM

What a great post to read on a Saturday morning, thanks for sharing that & great job on really working on your sobriety program like that... it is working out great for you :scoregood

Doesnt it feel great to wake up on a Saturday sober & with no hangover? :tyou

Keep it up :ring

loveon2legs 04-24-2010 10:11 AM

:ghug3 Congradulations on your 1 month!!!! that's awesome..I know for me living a sober life has been one of the hardest things I have ever done, peaks and valleys along this road, but well worth it!!!

Keep on, Keep'in on!!!

FBL 04-24-2010 11:03 AM

Congrats on one month! Remember, it just keeps gettin' better and better:)

Dee74 04-24-2010 01:44 PM

Congratulations Snarf :)
D

nycdrunk 04-24-2010 05:52 PM

Great job snarf!

HumbleBee 04-24-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Snarf (Post 2578265)
It was 1 month ago today, March 24, that I took my last drink...I only pray that I may be able to help someone else.

You just did, Snarf.

Congratulations! Your gratitude is an inspiration.

Way to go ~ :a122:

tallcactus 04-24-2010 09:12 PM

Good job!
Hey, isn't your court date coming up soon? Please let us know how it goes.
Going to AA sure will help when the judge decides and a great place to get sober.