Notices

I hate starting new threads....

Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hate starting new threads....

....especially when i am new but i looked around and i seen others doing it as well. I am also Polish and not the most observant though, so if i did miss a Howdy Do thread, forgive me.

It's been a month a 2 days sense my last drink. The last time i quit was for 2 years but the last 5 or 6 years after that relapse has been a rocky fuggin road. So here i am, dusting myself off, trying to pick up the pieces that lay in front of me, just like the first time i quit.

I have flirted with quitting in between that time. Ya know, lookin up the skirt a bit, but never taking it too serious. but like with anything, the good times (or what ever they were) can't last forever and of course sense i come from a school of hard knocks (and being thick as a brick) there's usually a good reason behind them ending.

I don't think the quitting aspect is the hardest part for me, it's going to be the "staying quitting" part. When that voice starts running, and you have your guard down, that all it takes. I have played at the AA tables for over 12 years. some court ordered, some by choice and that's not going to be the way it works for me. i am glad they help as many people as they do. I do know that you may be able to do it on your own but having others of like mind around, even if it may only be threw a forum or whatnot may make it easier to transition... who knows.

So i am going to give it the ol' college try (well, with a little more effort than college i guess). It feels good so far and yes i know i am on that "cloud of boobies" stage at the moment, and that i have a long road ahead of me...

oh well, really just wanted to say Hello and as a present too you, here is a picture of my dog Slick, looking pitiful.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi GreatGonzoChops

I hope you'll get used to starting threads
Yeah the staying stopped is the hard bit - but you'll find a lot of support here

Welcome!
D
Old 04-23-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome gonzo,

I am glad you posted. Hang out here, people are very supportive and helpful. Slick is very photogenic, but the photo itself is cool, too. Good job on your month+
Old 04-23-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You will meet many here who are winning over alcohol
not everyone is useing a specific program.

All my best as you find your way....
Old 04-23-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

oh well, really just wanted to say Hello and as a present too you, here is a picture of my dog Slick, looking pitiful.
Hello GreatGonzoChips,

Welcome to the forum. Not only do you have the avatar of my all time favorite sit com star, but you have a dachshund too!
Congrats on your month and two days!

Are you sure Slick is looking pitiful, looks more like the dachshund death stare to me:
"open this door, or you will suffer my wrath!!"
Wait, the pitiful look is the dachshund death stare.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks guys, i am very surprised i never looked into the forum route before when it comes to sobriety, like i said, i am sure like minds will help...

as for the Dachshund Death Stare....

lookin' like a little Sith Lord.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! Staying stopped is rough but support is key. I am glad you found this site as I did since I was never fully able to just stop until I came here. Come to SR when you feel those moments or weakness.

You are track again so keep on posting.

All the Best!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Darth Dasch - I like it

D
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

lookin' like a little Sith Lord.
I love that picture! Mine is a black and tan too.
They love their blankies. lol

glad you are here.
Beth
Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"cloud of boobies"

^
I'm gonna use that.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR to you and your little dog Slick! I'm (obviously) a dog person too and my dogs are a big part of my staying sober since they are both special needs and need me to be sober to care for them properly.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome! This is the "howdy do" part of the forum Loving lil Slick.. So glad you're here!
Old 04-24-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

way to go Gonzo

Keep up the good work. I'm happy for you

as they say, "you never have to take a lousy drink or drug, again"
Old 04-24-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

back & love the picture of your dog. I miss having my dog greet me like a super hero when I walk in the door.

Stay close to SR & keep sharing.

Cheers,

NB
Old 04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome GreatGonzoChops,

I love the pic of your dog Slick "Darth Dasch" I personally read alot on SR to gain strenght from others here and hope you do to. This site can play a big part in your recovery if you let it.. There lots of support here, stick around keep reading and posting!!

Again Welcome and Congrats on month +

Road
Old 04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Gonzo & Slick. It's great you found us. I never imagined myself getting help from a forum like this! I found it by accident, looking for health issues of heavy drinkers. After joining I felt comforted and encouraged because I had so many people who understood me and had walked the same path. I knew if they could find their way out, I could too. Over 2 yrs. later I am sober for the first time in my life.

Congratulations on wanting a better life - you can do this.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am with wicked, love the avatar... Jim from Taxi... I have remembered a line he said in one episode since I first heard it, like what, 30 + years ago... something to the effect of

He's consoling Elaine, I think...

"There is a pill that will help you with that, make you feel better... There's only one problem with it..."

"What's that Jim?"

"It wears off... "

Welcome gonzo buddy... gonzo as in Journalism or Jerry Jeff ?

Mark
Old 04-24-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

lol, Jim is how i feel most days :-) Just "in the moment", not too sure ever what is going on. Pretty sure i keep breathing just to see what happens next because i love surprises and i have a bad memory.

Thanks again guys, i knew i would find some support around here. I got my group of friends around town, great people, have been there for me more times than anyone's friends should be called upon but, they like too drink, not even really heavily either (most of em), and it's not so much being around the booze that bugs me as much as being around drunk people when i am sober. I have no patience for that mess anymore. I am what can be considered (pardon my language) "A *******" if you are sloppy drunk and i am sober around you... honestly, i think a big part of my drinking was just to be able too put up with it... i know i should have more patience because i DEFINITELY am no day at the beach when i was drunk but maybe that comes with time. Right now they just stink and never say anything worth listening too... not to mention this little scenario that likes to play out:

"hey man, really proud of ya for quittin...'" *they take a swig of their beer right after telling ya that*

".... thanks man."

Robin Williams said it best when he said "No No, you go ahead and have that double vodka, i'll be over here in the corner kicking the cat"

i know they mean well though

So i will check out the other threads, try to watch my Ps and Qs too the best of my ability till i know the rules (and how to bend them ). i do tend to talk a lot but i try to keep at the topic at hand, I am also pretty damn respectful and coming from a long line of freight train alcoholics, i take mine and other peoples sobriety very seriously (as long as they do).

As for Gonzo being from Mr. Thompson or Mr. Walker (2 people i do like a lot) i tend to fancy this Gonzo the most:

(might have something with Nugents, Double Live Gonzo album a bit too)

2nd day here and i am really happy i crept in, i knew there had to be a way for recovering alcoholics to get together and talk about things other than AA meetings (which like i said, there is nothing wrong with those meetings but sometimes i don't want to talk just about booze, want to just be happy for today being today, or sad, or whatever and not always have to dwell on the alcoholism aspect BUT when times get a little ruff (or REALLY ruff), it's good to know there is a support group that i may get to feel comfortable with to talk with).

plus, it gives me a spot to maybe sort my thoughts out sometimes.

thanks again.

p.s. is it in the rule book that recovering alcoholics HAVE to drink 157 cups of coffee a day? I don't mind being soo "aware of my surroundings" so to speak, but i fear my kidney's may want a divorce soon. :-)
Old 04-24-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

p.s. is it in the rule book that recovering alcoholics HAVE to drink 157 cups of coffee a day? I don't mind being soo "aware of my surroundings" so to speak, but i fear my kidney's may want a divorce soon. :-)
Well, ya know GGC (if I may call you that?),
I think it is at least a hundred cups a day, just for that special awareness.
Your kidneys just want a little separation, ya know, some space to think.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I will figure something out, just don't tell me i have to take up jogging yet....please....