Notices

day 3 sober

Old 04-24-2010, 01:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day three is always hard for me also. It's the stArt of the 'glory period' but it's also the start of when the alcoholic brain starts tricking you into wanting to drink - "you've proved you are not an alcoholic, look you haven't had a drink for 3 days and you are feeling fine" or "how about you just stick to drinking Friday nights, what harm could that do"
Old 04-24-2010, 01:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

Kmber2010 - thank you for responding to my post. I needed that. I just feel so lonely. I don't have any good friends. Only "acquaintances" or partying buddies. My best friend of 20 years died a few years ago and I've been lost ever since. My drinking/drug use got worse after that.

And as far as what Acorn said -- it's the mindgames that your brain plays with you that is the most insidious part of this for me. I'm shocked to come out of denial and see what has been going on for all these years. I feel like a fool. It's only day 4, so I know a lot of games are coming.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome Robin... Glad you posted
Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
04-04-2011

Made it through day 1 again, starting day 2. Lots of distractions today so I know can make it today. Tomorrow, my day 3, will be tough tho.

Welcome Robin. I'm getting a lot of good advice and support here. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-24-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey kyb5,

I know what you mean by the glory period. I’m on day 4 and feeling better, and I am determined to get through this.

I have made a decision to quit drinking, and obviously doing that requires getting through the first week. I feel like since I have to do it sometime, it might as well be now.

Hopefully, that doesn’t sound preachy. I’m just writing down my thoughts and my plan. Writing here on SR helps me, so thanks for the discussion. Best wishes.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
04-04-2011

Suddenly today is becoming harder than I thought. Never had trouble with day 2. I'm in a very pissy mood and lashing out at my wife and kids and I don't know why. They don't understand why I'm in a bad mood. I tell them I'm fine.

I feel so alone. They don't know what I'm doing (trying to sober up) and what I'm going through. I'm too ashamed to talk to my wife about it.

I know....suck it up and quit whining. I think if I can just make it through the weekend I'll be ok. Ok not "ok" but better off.

Thanks for letting me vent/complain/whine.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Kyb - glad you started this thread. Welcome to all our new friends - this place is absolutely fantastic & I got sober after finding it over 2 yrs. ago. I was a heavy drinker for over 25 yrs., and had no one to confide in until I came here. So many people had been through what I had - and I thought no one would ever understand me. I wasn't alone anymore - it was uplifting.

I tried to control my drinking for many years, and always remember feeling better after 3 days. I'd tell myself I wouldn't blow it again - I'd just have "a few". It never worked. I was always off on another binge after the 2nd one. I had health issues, too - and felt very close to losing my life if I didn't quit.

Keep talking to us, tell us how you're feeling. We care about you - and you can do this!
Old 04-24-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Kyb, Robin, and Fritz,

Welcome to Sr. I've never been a big AA guy , persay, but have found that it really helped me to go try out some meetings. I stopped drinking April 4th of this month, and the first week was really , really rough.

SR has been such a valuable resource this month for me, .....and the AA meetings that I've tried have been helpful also. Remember , one thing about AA , ....is that every single person there, ....at one time , walked into their very first meeting . And the only reason they did, was because they wanted, ....like you, to stop drinking.

A friend told me some time ago ; "people don't get sober when they want to, ...only when they're able to "

I hope each of you will be able to find the tools to stay sober.

Mark
Old 04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

kyb5,
Venting here is one of the best things you could do right now, so no worries!
Do you know the Serenity Prayer? I already had to repeat it in my head a few times this morning, kind of like a chant, when my partner stressed me out. You could try that....

Does your family know that you're in very early recovery? You might want to give them some details about what to expect - things like irritability, anxiety, stress, mood-swings, depression, sleepiness or sleeplessness, restlessness, all kinds of stuff. It might also be pretty unpredictable. I wouldn't expect them to wholly understand, but at least they'd be informed.

I hope the hours go by quickly and easily for you, right into day 4

Wishing you the best,
WW
Old 04-24-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Talk to your wife, tell her what is going on, maybe she will be very supportive of you.
She just might know how much you are drinking. We always think we are fooling everyone, wrong, they know.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:31 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
04-04-2011

Yeah she knows how much I drink (drank). I don't know why, I just don't feel like telling her. Just stubborn I guess and ashamed.

Made it through day 2. Got over my cranky mood and it turned out to be a good day. Now the ominous day 3 is looming.

Got some other thoughts to hash out here but getting ready to go to bed. So maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for all the well wishes and kind words. This site is really helping I think. Wish there was a mobile version of it tho so I could access it easier on my BlackBerry.

Nite all.