Notices

WEIGHING This Out......The Good & The Bad

Old 10-07-2003, 09:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Lets try the good in recovery
1. your not hung over in the morning
2. you have money in your pocket.
3. you don't have to call a friend to find out what happend the night before.
4. you spend quality time with your kids.
5. you start being able to pay bill
6. on time
7.you get to work or actually can keep your job and on time
Old 10-10-2003, 10:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Hey everyone,
I'm not an alcoholic, but my son is, so I can kinda relate as I felt like I went through it all with him. These are all really cool posts & I think that they would be so therapuetic. I'm going to print these off for my son to read when he gets out of jail. Since he's been sober for a little over 3 weeks now & it'll be longer by the time he gets out, I know that he will get a real kick out of them & it'll make him think too. Keep it going !!!!!

By the way, one good thing about sobriety is, that he'll be able to focus (visually), so that he can actually see what he reads!!!

He'll also be able to focus mentally, so that he will be able to understand what he reads!!!!
Old 10-10-2003, 11:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Nina....bless your heart. Wishing your son the best in sobriety.

Jail? What a shame.

Sitting her shaking my finger at your son...shame on you doing that to your parents. (parent here myself)

Nina's son....congrats on your three weeks of sobriety....only way to go.

Take good care Nina.

Love and hugs.......Denise
Old 10-10-2003, 01:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Hey Denise,
Thanks for the empathy as a parent & the congrats & well-wishes for my son. You did make me smile & laugh & I really needed that!! Love & Hugs to you too.

Here's a few other good things about sobriety:

You might get to keep your Driver's License.

You might get to have Auto Insurance & Keep it.

You might be able to keep a job.

You might be able to keep your Pick-up Truck.

You might be able to fix the motor in it, when you blow it up!!

And you might even be able to afford to keep spare tires that are good, so that when you have all of those blowouts, that just seem to keep happening, you'll be able to make it home for a good night's sleep, because you won't have to walk all night long for so many miles, just to get them fixed because your spare was flat, too. Ha! Ha! Ha!
Old 10-11-2003, 06:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Here is a very important one

You may feel again and be able to love yourself and others.

Corny yes but we must love ourselves to be loved
Old 10-11-2003, 11:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Still Standing

bubblze30,

NOT CORNY AT ALL !!!! I THINK THAT FEELING LOVED & GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF IS THE WHOLE PROBLEM & SOLUTION IN A NUTSHELL !!!!!
Old 10-12-2003, 04:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Nina I certainly agree with you there.....It's not corny at all bubblze.....we are suppose to love ourselves....I always thought that was kinda funny myself.....but can see why that is.

See that bubblze you have Nina YELLING at you, laughing here.

Take care you two. And love yourselves.

Lots of love and extra hugs.......Denise:skiptrip:
Old 10-12-2003, 04:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I found another bad one...and funny this one didn't cross my mind right away.

Bringing a child into the world with problems...mental retardation, fetal alcohol syndrom....not to mention other probs this child will have.

I know first hand about this, I have a younger sister who is mentally ******** and was given up for adoption because of it, and her mother drank all through her pregancy. Some people seem to think that baby is protected because it's in a seperate sack.

I also have to add, this younger sister of mine, is the sweetest girl you'd ever want to meet, she has so much love in her, she's so gentle....oh great here come the tears..wiping my nose on my sleeve again, but she is a bit bullheaded I might add, lol,,,,she's funny, makes me laugh every time I talk to her. But it's such a shame this has happened to her because of drinking. She would love to have a baby herself, but that just can't be, and she'd be the best mother around, that part breaks my heart for her.

To me this is a real BAD one.....but part of it is good other wise she would never have been in my life. Hugging you little sis.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Paused

Well, today I bads to add

1. the feeling you have telling the alcoholic boyfriend, that your kicking out cause of his alcoholism, that you've been drinking...when he's sober.

2. the feeling you have when telling your sponsor that you drank

3. Not remembering the good things your sponsor told you the night before, as he nursed you through your drunk.

4. waking up the next morning.

5. the feeling I'll have when I talk to my sponsor again today.

6. feeling like a jack@ss
Old 10-26-2003, 10:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Carla, you are NOT a jackass so stop that okay! You are a human being with a very real disease as we all are. I'm sure when you talk to your sponsor today she will be hugging you and just so damn happy that you made it back. So don't beat yourself up okay. One common thing we all have is that tendency to be so hard on ourselves. Remember what one of our humble members always says "Don't take yourself to darn serious."

Talk to your sponsor today and be thankful for this day of sobriety. Let go and let God. There is a reason for what is happening and more will be revealed in time.

Love,
Laci
Old 10-26-2003, 10:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Paused

IT MAKES YOU PEE LIKE A RUSSIAN RACE HORSE!!!
Old 10-26-2003, 10:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh......laughing so hard here, Tony Tony Tony.....but isn't that the truth, hahahahaha, makes you wonder doesn't it. Oh thanks for the laugh, I'm in need of that today.

Hugs......Denise, hahaha
Old 10-26-2003, 10:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Chy

My today's bad which is my everyday bad... is seeing those that still suffer from their addictions be it the guy on the corner or friends and family who are still lost and don't see there is a solution ....truly!
Old 10-26-2003, 10:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Laci you go girl, you tell Carla here.....See that Carla, we both know what we are all up against, and one day we will finally show it how sick and tired we are of it tormenting us continually.

Hey I don't feel like a jacka$$, I just feel, oh here I go again back to day one. Some of seem to be stuck on that darn old day ONE.

Lots of love and hugs Carla........Denise
Old 10-26-2003, 11:10 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yeppers Denise....Carla needn't be hard on herself. Hey, this is a disease and things take time. We all hit our bottom eventually whether it is between our ears or in some other way. I liked what Mountaingirl said on Kath's post....she didn't have any particular event that made her stop drinking on the day she quit...had not had that much to drink but she knew for whatever reason it was time. I relate to that very much MG. Me too. Nothing in particular had happened to me except that in the darkness of that night, alone and feeling like S**t, I hit my bottom. It is different for all of us. It took me years to hit that bottom. It is a personal thing that only we know when we are ready...well, we and our HP. I WON'T forget that night of 9-13 EVER. Or the few days leading up to it. My insantity was unbelievable...I lost it honestly...my mind turned against me...I was literally out of my mind. Damn, booze is powerful.

Okay, happy to be sober today and here with all of you! Now I am just plain crazy in sobriety!!!! And loving it.

Love
Laci
(Crazy but sober today)
Old 10-26-2003, 01:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

You got it Laci, booze is damn powerful.

I found another bad, this one really hit me hard. Someone I am real close to and has tried so hard in helping me for such a long time, and has stuck with me even when I've acted crazy, has been really upset over this, figures he has failed in helping me, and doesn't know what to do. I tried explaining he hasn't failed, he really doesn't know what he is up against, heck I don't even understand it. I tried to reassure him it's not his fault, and he has helped me more then he'll ever know. (((((ManoMan)))))

So to me this is a real bad one how it makes others feel who desperately want to help and end up feeling the way they do, that's just not right.

Laci I love how you ended your post (Crazy but sober today)....smile girl love you lots.

Hugs..........Denise
Old 06-26-2004, 07:07 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Re visiting this thread, it's an never ending list of BAD'S I had to go into the basement to find this.

My bad today is seeing so much pain here, and at AA meetings, people pouring out their hearts, while you sit there trying to keep it together, the ongoing struggles with everyone fighting this. It's heartbreaking to say the least, you sit here and read so many heart felt posts, so much torment in others lives, you want to fix it and you just can't.

I know the good is the light at the end of the tunnel. The other night a man at the meeting got a full year in, I cried listening to him tell his story, was hard not to, he cried through the whole thing, it sure gets a persons emotions running wild. This man and his sponser were up front, both crying, they hugged each other hard, that made me feel so good, two men not afraid to show there emotions, right on guys. The wonderful part of it, his family was there supporting him, even his in-laws. I talked to his mother-in-law, at the time I didn't know who she was, I asked her how long she had been going to meetings, she smiled at me and said it wasn't for her, but her son-in-law, now how awesome is that? She had some powerful words to me, and told me I was doing the right thing being there as hard as it was. I should have asked her if she would be my mother-in-law too, lol.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:18 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Dan

Thanks for sharing that Denise.
I know how intense some meetings can be. You can walk away from there drained some nights. I used that as a convenient excuse to walk away from the fellowship years ago in one of my many former attempts at sobriety.
But I've come to believe that this intensity actually has a positive effect in my life. It's all a question of balance, once again. As heart wrenching as it can be to hear someone describe the depths to which they have gone while they were chasing the dragon, there is also a powerful catharsis in doing so, for both the member sharing and the listener. For it is important, I believe, to give shape and form to our lived experience. As ugly as it was, and as contemptuous as we may feel about the persons we were then, it is through the act of rememberance that we come to believe in our progress, both spiritual and emotional. I like the title of this thread, and I'm going to go and read all of it now. But in the end, even the bad is all good
Old 06-26-2004, 09:26 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Chy

Wow this is an oldy brought up from the basement!
But a good oldy!

The good: Because I was a pathetic, shameful, deteriorating drunk, I found a program that has allowed me to become everything I had only dreamed of becoming a long time ago. I'm happy, worthy, successful, at peace at last. There's no doubt if I just quit on my own(which I never could do anyway), I wouldn't be as happy as I am today.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:42 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I dug deep for this. Giving this old thread a BUMP.....some food for thought....and I know lots more can be added to it.