Notices

Class of 2008

Old 04-30-2010, 05:03 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

thanks you guys

I guess that's why i'm a writter now JIT. I use to say "I am an oral processor", but when I came to SR a few years ago, I realized I process with words and writing started to become important via SR.

I switched to safari today, and its showing me all the words i misspell in my posts

There goes my self esteme!!!!
:rotfxko

I'm ok...i'm starting to see my way through this bit

biggest nands hug to all
Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Haha, I had to laugh about the spellcheck!

And, Nands, isn't that one of the beauties of sobriety? That we know that "stuff" is likely to pass? Maybe not in our time frame, but still. My journal is fabulous for this..allowing me to react on paper, but wait in life. God save me if anyone ever reads my journal....some of it ain't pretty....but I look back on some of those entries and usually within 24 hours, I have settled down.

Regardless, I'm very glad that you are feeling better :ghug3
Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

yep, had to laugh at the spellcheck too
Old 05-01-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Cool stuff
Old 05-01-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

T2S, it's cool stuff based on your Class of _______ concept
People are regularly creating Class of threads
you got yourself a little SR legacy going

BTW, the movie thread you started in the men's section is still going too
Old 05-05-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I posted this on the July '08 thread but I thought it was interesting enough to put here too. Here's a copy;

Hey, we've mentioned here about how the 90 days period was a hard bump to get over. I always wondered if it was because it was the first kinda long term date and thus was a psychological thing in that "hey, this is harder to think one day at a time now". Carol provided some links on a thread about - is alcoholism really a disease? (yes, that topic again) and this part from How We Get Addicted stood out to me.

One important discovery: evidence is building to support the 90-day rehabilitation model, which was stumbled upon by AA (new members are advised to attend a meeting a day for the first 90 days) and is the duration of a typical stint in a drug-treatment program. It turns out that this is just about how long it takes for the brain to reset itself and shake off the immediate influence of a drug. Researchers at Yale University have documented what they call the sleeper effect--a gradual re-engaging of proper decision making and analytical functions in the brain's prefrontal cortex--after an addict has abstained for at least 90 days

Read more if you like : How We Get Addicted - TIME
Old 05-07-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Philly, St. Louis was beat down pretty well in Philadelphia but the other end of your state was no good for the Cubs. Oh well, baseball is a marathon so there's plenty of time left.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Just thought I would say hi and offer out a question.

For those of you who have substained for awhile, are you starting to feel sorry for those still drinking as opposed to being envious because you can't drink. I have not drank since July 08 and was really jealous and resentful for a long time. I don't know when the change over happened but it makes me feel better. I'm not sure if I brainwashed myself or if others have the same feelings. I even feel bad for those who only indulge once or twice a week because they are usually hurting the next day which is something I don't have to worry about.

One more thing - how do we move this thread to the Daily Support Forum so it doesn't get buried when there is no activity for a few days?

JIT-sorry the cubs aren't giving you more to cheer about. If it is any consolation I think half the country is routing for them. It is only a matter of time but lets hope it is in our lifetime.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Yeah, I feel sorry for them sometimes...often actually. There are still some times when I am envious and I'd say they fall into two categories. One is when I see someone in that window of time where I would have normally been at right about when finishing my second beer. I think that feeling at that point of a drinking session is the feeling that I'd be chasing as I continued to drink. Of course I could never sustain that feeling or get it back until the next time. Even just quitting after 2 or 3 still didn't feel right because you would feel that certain feeling going away and want it to come back. It feels much better to just not drink. The other time I'm envious occasionally is when I see someone in a movie or in real life having one drink with dinner or toasting a major accomplishment with a glass of champagne.

The vast majority of the time I feel more sympathy than envy because I know they're playing with fire and might get burned eventually in their lives. Maybe I'm envious of those that play with fire and don't get burned.

Still, I did get burned and I have better things to do than to go back and see if I could play with fire and not get burned again. But I need to be honest and admit that the fire still has some appeal.

I think I'll stick with real fire. It can be quite captivating and take you somewhere mentally that doesn't come with the hangover and all the other baggage.

Thanks for asking. It's good to think about these things.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Thanks JIT, I think we are on the same page- at least I think we are reading the same book. I think it could have gotten alot worse and we could have experience a lot more "yets".

I feel that since I still think about alcohol, I am pretty sure that drinking again would do no good. But yes a celebratory glass of champagne would be nice or a glass of wine with dinner but I do believe it would wake the sleeping dog and I don't want anything to do with that. I do not believe I would be satisfied with one or two and I hear the hangovers get way worse.

There I go rambling again. Imagine what I was like when I was drinking.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

let's see if we can get closer to that same page

you hear the hangovers get way worse when? if you've quit for an extended time and then drink again??

also not sure what you meant when you said - more yets
Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

One more thing - how do we move this thread to the Daily Support Forum so it doesn't get buried when there is no activity for a few days?
We can't move threads across to there simply because people want to...there are also the folks who'd prefer their threads stayed here and would want us to move them back....

It would be chaos.

These forums are busy enough - neither Anna nor I have the time I'm afraid.
Sorry for the inconvenience, but we've found it best to have one rule for all.

I guess the simplest solution is to post here often and make your way to 500 posts.
D
Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

That's very interesting that you posted about this Philly and JIT, because I was just saying something to my husband this morning about this very topic. I drank socially for years, but within a relatively short period of time, My Mother, my MIL, and my FIl died AND my girls entered the black hole of adolescence, I went into a nose dive. Now I'm wondering if my excessive drinking was situational and could I return to social drinking. BUT, if I am really, really honest, I was always after the "buzz"...for decades....but I just didn't "need" copious amounts. It was for pleasure...not as a crutch (at least, I think not). But the fact remains, that it doesn't matter if I could return to social drinking (and the consequences if I am wrong are too frightening for me to contemplate), I am much happier abstinent. Just as alcohol permeated my life, so has sobriety and I don't want to jeopardize what I have now for some stupid glass of wine.

But back to the topic you raised....99% of the time, I think "Thank God I don't drink anymore. This person is going to feel like crap in the morning. Whew, I'm glad it's not me". For much of the year, we live in the Caribbean and virtually everyone drinks, every day...so it's around me all the time. Certainly early on, I was resentful that I couldn't join them, thought I "stuck out", etc. But now, I count my lucky stars that I'm where I'm at. It took me wayyyyyyyyyy too long to get sober, and I never want to go through that again. It's just not worth it.

I hope that this thread stays alive! Just doin' my bit!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

JIT- yes I think from not having the alcohol in your body it is going to react differently. I never went this long without any alcohol. I think I would feel like crap even after one drink. Either that or I would just want more.

The yets are I never had a dui, never been arrested, never lost anything, some call them not yets which only mean if you over drink these things will eventually happen. I never really hurt anyone but myself. The worse I did was maybe embarrass myself or those in my family.

Hide and Seek- I totally agree with you. I am afraid of what could happen with a stupid glass of wine. I guess you could say I had enough- I just crammed it into a few years instead of a lifetime.

Dee- Thanks for all your work and I don't want to make more work for anyone. I just thought it was more like a daily support thread but I'll take it anywhere. You guys on this site are great and this site really has been a godsend for me.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

HideorSeek, this was very well said.....Just as alcohol permeated my life, so has sobriety and I don't want to jeopardize what I have now.

Philly, ahh those yets. Yeah we don't want to check off any more of those yets.

Dee, thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Anyone relate to this?
When I was newly sober I didn't like to hear songs with drinking references. I even got into an argument with my wife over one of them.
Now I don't mind them, in fact there are some that I used to like that I now like again because I like the song not because it has the reference.
There are plenty of songs out there where I might not like the lyrics or might not agree with them but I still like the song as a whole. Drinking songs are now just another one of those.....most of the time.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!