SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   today was the first day in a while (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/198779-today-first-day-while.html)

SCAMY04 04-12-2010 04:38 PM

today was the first day in a while

today was the first day in a while I thought about drinking it was so warm ive been getting my pool ready today all the summer things this is when i drank the most its crazy like im still gonna be outside all summer but for the first time without drinking guess ill have to stock up on diet cherry coke does nonalcoholic beer any good or is this a bad idea

NewMe11109 04-12-2010 04:51 PM

NA beer is always an interesting topic on SR. You can search for it.

For many people it is a tigger that brings on drinking the real stuff. Most people recommend that you don't. Diet Cherry Coke sounds like a better choice.

SCAMY04 04-12-2010 05:11 PM

never tried it but i guess that it could be a trigger

least 04-12-2010 05:24 PM

Some can drink NA beer with no problems. Some can't. I never drank for the taste, really, just to get a buzz, to get numb. I've tried the sparkliing NA wines and liked them, but then again, grape juice is just as good.:) ... or diet cherry coke!

Dee74 04-12-2010 05:27 PM

Hey Scamy

My experience on NA beer - I was a beer drinker - I drank NA often when I was trying to cut down (before I found SR)...

it just made me feel annoyed, mate - I wanted the buzz - invariably I always put down my NA and looked around for a 'normal' beer.

D

Horselover 04-12-2010 05:28 PM

I like the flavored sparkling water that Walmart puts out. Really good! I'm a tad jealous over the pool. :) LOL!

SCAMY04 04-12-2010 05:47 PM

think i probably stick with the diet cherry coke i like the taste but the effect of beer without alcohol might trigger the urge to say well maybe just one time and i dont want to go there yeah i was a beer man to dee espeacially imports in the summer maybe since ive already stated grilling a month or so ago i made it through this i should be fine we grill every thing and even always think of new things to grill now - the alcohol but thats ok wife never really drank that much anyway she could always take it or leave it most of the time leave it but i feared i wouldnt enjoy things as much as i use to while drinking but i dont think . glad i quit while it was cold

Houndheart 04-12-2010 06:22 PM

I think an NA beer would make me want to drink a real one. I think it would fake me out....I might be thinking: "well this tastes like real beer....well it hasn't done anything to harm me....so why not try one of those Imports....just one (and we all know where just one goes)"....NOT GOOD! Personally I would have to stick to something else.

So, go on...brag about some of your best grill recipes! I bet your food rocks! Right? :)

SCAMY04 04-12-2010 08:37 PM

Its ok Im still perfecting it but yes i smoke grill ect about every thing if your gona eat the stuff its about the healthiest way id be glad to here some good grill recipes i like to make my own sauces and marinades baseball warm weather camping/boating makes me excited about summer im open for recipes

SCAMY04 04-12-2010 08:39 PM

yes i have become quit fond of diet cherry coke funny i never really liked coke before

Toronto68 04-12-2010 08:56 PM

Scamy, I like the idea of staying away from the non-alc beer. I have never tried it and don't have the desire. I think it would probably taste like crap - not that beer itself was the loveliest taste around (it wasn't, I just adapted to it and then used it for the drug that it is). And it would prob get my mind going on the "real thing," which is not useful, if not dangerous. It also has a wee bit of alc content after all, if that matters to you. (To some people it does for psychological reasons, others because they are on medication that would probably prohibit it big-time, such as antabuse/anabuse - to my knowledge). Anyway, that's just to de-romanticize a bit - not to come down on anyone who likes it.

As the heat rolls on for us, we will keep having these throwbacks to the pastures that look greener, ha ha. I say keep the other beverage options flowing, add to the Cherry Coke, so you don't overdo one thing, maybe. Put lemonade and the like back into the picture as opposed to brews. :)