Notices

New Here

Old 04-10-2010, 03:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Hey all just to say I'm new here.

I've had serious problems with alcohol in the past and to an extent in the present and I'm just getting sick and tired of it all really. Trying to give up, it's always going fine until I realise that I have nothing to do and I'm bored and lonely and decide that a few drinks won't hurt, wake up in the morning like I have today fell like crap and don't want to drink again, likely until tonight when I get bored and lon... etc. It's a vicious circle that I'm finding it hard to crack.

Anyway this is just a rant and from what I've seen already this is a terrific site full of great information and support for people, just checking in.

Cheers
Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Hi bored3,

That sounds very familiar - I always got to about 3.30pm then started thinking about it - by 4 it was all planned. Same thing day after day, and it only got worse.

It is a horrible repetative cycle but it CAN be broken.

Good site this, lots of good info like you say. Good to see you here!

Stu
Old 04-10-2010, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Bored,

I am glad you found this site, it is so helpful. That is one of the reasons why I chose to drink... to relieve boredom.

Good luck to you on your journey. Stay in touch here.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your welcomes, it's much appreciated.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! This site is full of support and information - it's helped me greatly. I hope we can help you as well.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome! Glad you are here!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 04-10-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

This is a great place to visit if you're looking for inspiration to stay sober.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And yet again it turns to this hour and I know that there is alcohol within my reach and I want to have a drink and watch the TV.

I'm 21 and have been this way for a couple of years now and am just angry with myself for not being able to stop this, I've always been a clever person and resisted and abstained from anything bad, it just doesn't make sense that I can't be like my friends are. I don't even feel the need to drink heavily when I'm in bars, just the comfort of knowing that there's some at home that I can drink and escape myself.

I really hate what I've done and am doing to myself.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't let yourself be sucked into the vicious cycle. We drink to feel a moment's peace, we immediately feel worse, so we drink again. You can step outside the cycle and move forward with your life.

Do something to take your mind off the drinking, for just a moment. Listen to some music, call a friend, go for a walk, eat some food, whatever it takes to get your mind free for a moment.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bored3 View Post
And yet again it turns to this hour and I know that there is alcohol within my reach and I want to have a drink and watch the TV.

I'm 21 and have been this way for a couple of years now and am just angry with myself for not being able to stop this, I've always been a clever person and resisted and abstained from anything bad, it just doesn't make sense that I can't be like my friends are. I don't even feel the need to drink heavily when I'm in bars, just the comfort of knowing that there's some at home that I can drink and escape myself.

I really hate what I've done and am doing to myself.

I think you are doing yourself a great favor by knowing that there is a problem, it is a start and an accomplishment on it's own.
I have beaten myself up quite similarly and that never helped me. Trying to take action like I am now does! I am too early into my own sobriety to give you a lot of advice, but luckily we have all these great people here that have walked this path before us and who are willing to share their experiences.

Take care
Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Bored,

A big huge WELCOME to SR!!! Take the "Road Less Traveled" friend and c'mon on to the Sober Life and see that it's grrrrrrreat! Nice to have you with us Bored! Maybe meet you in Chat Room soon!

Love Pancake xo
Old 04-10-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bored3

I've heard it said and I think it's so very true - nothing changes if nothing changes.

It's hard to change our routine, and our lives - but we need to.

You're obviously here for a reason - many reasons. Focus on them, and on all the negative consequences of drinking that have bought you here.

It is possible to change Bored3 - and you're not alone - there's a lot of support here

Hope to see you around some more...
D
Old 04-10-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My drinking cycle was a little different from yours.....
drink...get depressed..pass out....repeat the next day.

I called it the misery-goround ...
I was elated to discover I could succesffully stop.

Welcome to our recovery community....
Old 04-11-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck Bored3, it gets easier
Old 04-11-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So yeah I think it's pretty obvious I failed, again.

I just don't know what I want anymore. I get a buzz over making sure my pets are okay, making a good meal, tidying up so that my mum is happy. This lasts until 8:30-8:45, when I know that the shop is closing at 9:30, I don't have the drink!! I need that, you see. I'm just sick of being a slave.

It's 2AM, I'll be up in a few hours and going to work until 5-6, then I'll get in and be okay 'til about 8:30-8:45 and it begins again. I just want to be happy. Sorry for rambling, I'm just lonely.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You're not rambling...you're saying how you feel and that's really important. Getting it "on paper" makes it real, and you're making the first steps toward a better life. You'll sort it out..you know you want the change..you can make it happen. Keep coming back, keep reading..there's so much support and knowledge here. Don't stop trying!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just checking in here to apologise for the frustrated ranting posted here the other day. I've come through today with nothing to drink, feel pretty okay with things, it's after midnight here in the UK and I am in no way tired which isn't a good thing but I'm not working tomorrow thankfully.

Day 1 I suppose, again lol
Old 04-15-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

I know what you mean about the whole "drink at night, swear it off in the morning, then drink at night again" cycle. I've been doing that for years. Just getting out of all that negativity, alone, is a good enough reason to quit, nevermind the health concerns, and all that. It eats away at you. I always felt powerless in my life, like if I ever wanted to do something really great, it would just be more effort than I could possibly muster.

Rev
Old 04-16-2010, 12:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree Rev,

That drained feeling is just sooooooo horrible!!