Notices

Day 1

Old 04-09-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

I have made a choice to end this stupidity. I am the drinker that everything is fine for a month or two and then have one night were I have too much to drink and usually black out and usually end up hurting the people that are the closes to me. I don't understand why I did it because I know what the end result is, but continue to do it. I think I thought I was able to control, but I was wrong. So insted of walking the fine line and at some point I am going to fall off that line, I just need to stop it period, and today is the first day in this journey.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, golfinmidwest,

You're in a great place with many, many of us who've done the same thing, thinking we could 'control' it and making promises to ourselves to not let it happen again.

It is insanity. You're not alone. Congratulations on the decision to take your life back. Any idea for a plan moving forward? Putting the drink down and coming here for support is a great start!

Take care,
Hbee
Old 04-09-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are in the right place. Congrats on your first day. Take it one day at a time you can do it!
Old 04-09-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I honestly have not thought much about a plan moving forward, but to surround myself with good people to support me and try to make more goals for myself to help occupy the time.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome golfinmidwest

Read around and post as much as you like - you'll find a lot of support here, and a lot of approaches to think about too

D
Old 04-09-2010, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a worthy journey. You're not alone either. We're all here keeping you company. Take it one day at a time, you can make a better life without drinking.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome here!! Believe in yourself you can do this... I believe in you!!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome,

We all know what you are going through and understand. This is my 8th day and I check in on SR all the time!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Golfin! You've found a great resource here at SR that can really help. I assume from your name you're an avid golfer as I am. We have our own special challenges with sobriety given the culture around golf. The 19th hole post game round of drinks. The expectation of your golf buddies to join in the celebration/commiseration etc. etc.

But the benefits of sobriety far outweigh the downside of drinking. I'm on day 40 and feeling better and stronger with every day. I've made it through several post game 19th holes already and actually enjoy having a root beer instead of beers and/or shots. And guess what. My golf game is better too. Go figure!

We're all behind you, stay strong and visit often.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Emmy-Thanks for the message. I do love to golf and you are right about the 19th hole. Most of the people I play with will be supportive it is just making the other ones get on board. I really don't care what they say anymore because I need to do this for me.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome golf! Good choice to come here. I am about 12 weeks sober and couldn't have done it within checking in here several times a day.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. This is a great place to start your journey!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Old 04-10-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by golfinmidwest View Post
Emmy-Thanks for the message. I do love to golf and you are right about the 19th hole. Most of the people I play with will be supportive it is just making the other ones get on board. I really don't care what they say anymore because I need to do this for me.

Welcome, golfinmidwest !
I like what you mean about not caring what anyone says anymore because you are not drinking today for you.

Stay Strong
Old 04-10-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well i am half way through my second day. Doing well, just having a hard time because my girlfriend that I live with and I always have hurt with my drinking doesn't want to be near me because of my last episode that caused me to stop. She is so great and has been through thick and thin for 7 years and I always hurt her. I know if we could just mend this i would be much happier. Excited about not drinking, just wish I could fix this problem for the both of us.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well getting ready to go to sleep and made it through day 2. Everyone have a good night.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I was glad to see you joined our Class of April thread

Hope you and your GF can work things out soon.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

re: Golf

I used to play quite a bit, but over the past few years my drinking/hangovers caused me so much anxiety that I literally could not finish 18 holes. I'm 10 weeks sober today (yay) and am planning to start playing again this summer. I have a feeling it'll be so much more fun without feeling like crap hungover. And the 19th hole? meh, who needs it