SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Another Newbie (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/198420-another-newbie.html)

Haon 04-07-2010 10:39 PM

Another Newbie

Just a quick note of introduction before going to bed. Today was my first day sober. I found this site earlier in the week and was just waiting for my authorization to join in the conversation. I have a lot of things to sort through and a lot of work to do, but I am ready. Not sure AA is the direction I will go, but I am doing research on what the best path for me is. Whatever path, it will be a sober path, and that is what is most important. Beer is my drug of choice and binge drinking is my pattern. I have gone a week or two without touching a drop, but when I do there is no off switch. It has been that way for the last 18 years. I've been married 10 years and have a beautiful 3 year old daughter. I am highly functional and my drinking has never caused question at my job as I restricted activity to post work. Naturally, I was not operating at 100% at work due to drinking too much the night before and passing out, but when that is the norm, co-workers don't know what 100% looks like. Well, I've rambled on long enough. It was a long day at work, I am beat, and the alarm clock is going to go off in 5 hours to do it all again. I look forward to making friends and finding support here. God bless and good luck.

Lionne 04-07-2010 11:08 PM

Welcome to SR Haon! :c009:
You can find a lot of support here, and you'll find a lot people here that have similar drinking histories. Great that you decided to do something about your problem, and keeping reading and posting is a good way to start.

Dee74 04-07-2010 11:29 PM

I'll add my welcome too Haon :)
I was a beer binger too - I ended up an all day drinker, tho so you're very wise to look at it now...

Good to have you with us - like littlestranger said, you'll find a lot of support here :)

D

Impurrfect 04-08-2010 12:11 AM

(((Haon))) - Welcome to SR!!!!

You'll find you're in good company, with lots of supportive people!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

least 04-08-2010 06:14 AM

Welcome to SR! :ghug3 Glad you found us and joined the family. Congrats on deciding to live a sober life. It really is worth the effort.:)

Haon 04-08-2010 06:16 AM

Thanks for the Welcomes

Thank you for the warm welcomes. My initial therapy is going to be continuing to read and post on here. What a wonderful resource and outlet you have created. I am very thankful to have found you.

Anna 04-08-2010 06:19 AM

Welcome!

SR is a super place for support!

HumbleBee 04-08-2010 06:56 AM

Welcome Haon,

It's really good to be with people who have been where you're at and understand what you're going through - makes us not feel so unique or alone.

Keep reading and posting. So glad you're here.

BobGT 04-08-2010 07:23 AM

Welcome Haon.

I'm pretty new here, but I've seen that this is a great place for information and support. I'm wishing you the best.

CarolD 04-08-2010 07:47 AM

Good to see you here....:wavey:
Welcome to our recovery community

Blessings to you your wife and dauughter

chicubs1 04-08-2010 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Haon (Post 2564016)
Just a quick note of introduction before going to bed. Today was my first day sober. I found this site earlier in the week and was just waiting for my authorization to join in the conversation. I have a lot of things to sort through and a lot of work to do, but I am ready. Not sure AA is the direction I will go, but I am doing research on what the best path for me is. Whatever path, it will be a sober path, and that is what is most important. Beer is my drug of choice and binge drinking is my pattern. I have gone a week or two without touching a drop, but when I do there is no off switch. It has been that way for the last 18 years. I've been married 10 years and have a beautiful 3 year old daughter. I am highly functional and my drinking has never caused question at my job as I restricted activity to post work. Naturally, I was not operating at 100% at work due to drinking too much the night before and passing out, but when that is the norm, co-workers don't know what 100% looks like. Well, I've rambled on long enough. It was a long day at work, I am beat, and the alarm clock is going to go off in 5 hours to do it all again. I look forward to making friends and finding support here. God bless and good luck.

You've stumbled onto an amazing resource. You'll find a few of us on here with stories very similar to yours (myself included - exchange your daughter for an 8 yr old boy and I could've written it). I'm not the AA type and this forum along with a small and dedicated group of friends/family for support have been a godsend for the last 3 1/2 months in recovery. Be strong and be well!

smacked 04-08-2010 09:23 AM

Welcome to SR!!

Andi 04-08-2010 01:52 PM

Hi there Haon,

I'm new here too, but already finding that this is an amazing place, I don't feel alone. Everytime I think of drinking I think about this website.
Good luck to you!

pinkgurl87 04-08-2010 02:02 PM

Awesome!! Welcome here!! Good luck on staying sober. You can do it I believe in you!!! :)

mirage 04-08-2010 03:13 PM

Glad you're here Hoan..my story sounds similar to yours as well. Beer at night, etc. This place is a great source..so nice not feel alone. Hope to hear more about how you're doing! :)

Hevyn 04-08-2010 04:22 PM

Welcome Haon & you, too Andi! It's wonderful you've joined us. I was immediately relieved when I found this place - these people spoke my language, they understood everything I was going through. I wish I'd known such a place existed years ago & my story might have been different.

I was a binge drinker too, until I evolved into a 24/7 drinker. My tolerance was huge - I could sip 100 proof vodka most of the day & not feel anything but a slight numbness. I'm sure I was in a fog, but I didn't realize it. There certainly were no happy or fun moments anymore! I regret all the wasted years spent poisoning myself, but as I've learned by reading on SR - there's no point in spending the rest of our lives filled with regret and remorse. That was then, this is now - and we are healing!

Congratulations to you for reaching out & seeking a better life.

battypatty 04-08-2010 06:51 PM

Welcome Haon and please accept a big pat on the back for deciding to seek sobriety. I too drank every night and went to work hung over. You will be amazed how different it will feel going to work without a hang over and without guilt and shame and able to look your coworkers in the eye. Hang with us!

topspin 04-09-2010 01:10 PM

Brand new here too, Haon. .......6 days Welcome, Glad I found this site , for sure ! It's certainly clarified a few things for me. Hope it helps you too

golfinmidwest 04-09-2010 05:36 PM

Today is my first day also, your story sounds so similar, welcome.

coffeenut 04-10-2010 08:49 AM

Welcome! Glad you are here!