SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Depression/mood swings/what next (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/198320-depression-mood-swings-what-next.html)

newagain 04-06-2010 01:07 PM

Depression/mood swings/what next

Okay, here I am at 7 days sober. today i have been so emotional...i cry at anything, i can't listen to the radio because i just start balling at songs, can't read the news Miners in W. VA. just upset me so bad. i have suffered the mood swings from hell -- i am happy -- i am sad -- then i am a bitch. what is next. my desire to drink is very low right now. but this depression and mood swings are driving me crazy...

Dee74 04-06-2010 01:11 PM

Early recovery can be a rollercoaster newagain...it's definitely not an easy ride....but it is worth it...and you're not alone - we've all been there, and we all understand :)

Keep moving forward...just focus on today.
You can do this :)
D

FuzzyFatSacks 04-06-2010 01:12 PM

Hi, newagain :) I'm on day 45 and my first week was similar. My moods were alllllll over the place and I never knew what to expect. Although my moods still aren't completely "normal" now, after the first week I stopped crying about everything. I've been irritable, but even that has started to die down.

Since I'm only 45 days in I'm no expert, but please hang in there because it will get better :)

Ceres 04-06-2010 01:13 PM

It'll get better! Glad the cravings are low. Music can make me moody anyway. I've been known to annoy people with A.M. talk radio. I used to take a lot of bubble baths.

Paddyjnr 04-06-2010 01:57 PM

Hi newagain,
I feel your pain.. I am on day 37 but the good news is it will get easier but I'm afraid there is no "Instant coffee" just acceptance and be kind to yourself..
You are with me in my prayers.. Keep strong and it will pass in time...

Horselover 04-06-2010 01:58 PM

You do take me back to those first couple of weeks in the beginning and for that I thank you. I was an emotional wreck and I too would cry over everything. It felt like a long pms trip of the most intense type. My husband was happy I quit drinking, but he could have done without the emotions. LOL! It DEFINITELY gets better - believe me! I wouldn't have stuck with it if I had not been told that by the good people here. Ride the roller coaster and know that you will get off. Hugs - Sarah

Anna 04-06-2010 01:59 PM

I'm glad you are posting about this, and as others have said, you can and you will get through this.

We do understand!

least 04-06-2010 02:03 PM

It's a bumpy ride at first, no doubt about that. Stay in today, try to be good to yourself, and remember - this too shall pass.:)

Toronto68 04-06-2010 02:59 PM

Newagain, do you have the ability to move around a lot? It helped me to go crazy a bit around the house, rearranging rooms and pre-spring cleaning (not that there still isn't room for actual spring cleaning as well, ha ha). Or organize something, whether it takes a lot of focus or more mind-numbing. That's if you are not able to exercise. There is something about finding something that is kind of tedious or boring or has layers to it that can create a positive distraction/sense of accomplishment, and then the final product is the cherry on top. That might work. It helped me when I had a kind of scared or depressed feeling in the weeks after my quitting.

newagain 04-07-2010 05:27 AM

Well today has started out a bit better. My spirits are up and right now i do not feel that lump in my throat. I did have a small traumatic experience this morning. I hit a squirrel in the road, and if you knew me better you would know I am the animal love of all animal lovers. So I had a good cry and quick prayer for the little bugger and decided I could not let that start my day off on a negative so I had to turn it into a positive...which i did, listened to some inspirational music and headed on to work.

Thanks all for the support this group is really a life saver....

Paddyjnr 04-07-2010 05:35 AM

Hi Newagain,
well that's a good test of your tolerance and you've passed. We addicts are super-sensitive beings and things like this can really throw us.. Great to hear you are doing well.. :ring

Horselover 04-07-2010 07:18 AM

Newagain - I do believe we are twins. I am a HUGE animal lover and that kind of thing would have set me off for the rest of the day. The longer I've been sober the more I've been able to look at life with a more "rational" eye. I think that's how I would describe it. The way we see the world changes when we stop drinking for a long period of time. I am not sure exactly why, but it does. Things that used to give me an excuse to drink are now thought out and dealt with. That's a good thing. No more hiding. Love reading your posts by the way.