SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   This time I'm gonna do it! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/198233-time-im-gonna-do.html)

Acorn 04-05-2010 12:27 PM

This time I'm gonna do it!

I've been a heavy drinker for about thirteen years now, don't know if I'm officially an alcoholic but I know I have a problem! I know for a fact I can never have just one pint! It always, always leads to more.

I have tried numerous times before to give up bit always fail after about four or five days, usually on a friday night when I have convinced myself I don't have a problem cos I have go e a few days without a drink!

I don't wanna live like this anymore- the times I have been on the wagon have been some of my best times, yet I always keep going back to the pub...... It's like I'm drawn to it somehow.

I'm glad I've found SR hopefully the people on here can help me out and provide support.

It's odd, I'm holding down a good job and wife/kid but I've done enough Reading to know that this thing is progresive and will destroy me in the end. I've already started getting shootig pains in my kidneys although these go away if I have a few days on the wagon.

I look forward to chatting with people here on SR as I know I have a massive challenge ahead!

SCAMY04 04-05-2010 12:54 PM

This is a good place come back the people here understand

least 04-05-2010 01:04 PM

Welcome to SR! Glad you joined the family. Deciding to give up drinking is a wise move. Alcoholism is progressive and can only get worse. By stopping now you avoid some serious problems. :scoregood

armaviva 04-05-2010 01:17 PM

you'll hear many times that drinking for the alcoholic is a compulsion. yes we're drawn to it, we have to learn how to say no to it. identify your triggers- you already have one down by saying that after a few days you convince yourself that you don't have a problem.

Dee74 04-05-2010 01:21 PM

Welcome Acorn

You've made a wise decision - things really do only get worse.

If you have been a heavy drinker, and given you've had kidney pain, I also recommend you talk with your doctor - it's best to have as much support and foreknowledge as possible.

This is a wonderful place for support too - see you round :)
D

Anna 04-05-2010 01:59 PM

Hi and Welcome!

Recovery is a big change in our lives, but know that you can do this.

And, you're right about the disease of alcoholism being progressive and relentless. I hope you keep reading and posting.

Acorn 04-05-2010 02:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words of advice. I promise I will keep everyone up to date on my progress.

I suppose the start of my recovery does not follow the usual rules, I have not hit my rock bottom, in fact quite the opposite having just been best man at my brothers wedding on friday and actually behaving myself and drinking responsibly compared to others!

However throughout my drinking career the lows have been very low...... Two cases of drunk and disorderly, many a time getting into my car the morning after, drinking on the weekend mornings to get rid of my hangover despite looking after my daughter at the same time!

It's gonna be hard I know it is, drinking has become an established part of my life and it feels as though I'm saying goodbye to my best friend but I know I have to do this

Acorn 04-06-2010 11:30 AM

Well I'm still sober...... Only two days in and finding it ok at the moment however I know Friday night will be hard as that is usually a heavy drinking night for me and I've agreed to work a shift in my local (although it will hopefully be the last time I have to go in there) my plan is to drive down and then I will not be able to stop for a drink after work!

Spawn 04-06-2010 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Acorn (Post 2561457)
I've been a heavy drinker for about thirteen years now, don't know if I'm officially an alcoholic but I know I have a problem! I know for a fact I can never have just one pint! It always, always leads to more.

I have tried numerous times before to give up bit always fail after about four or five days, usually on a friday night when I have convinced myself I don't have a problem cos I have go e a few days without a drink!

I don't wanna live like this anymore- the times I have been on the wagon have been some of my best times, yet I always keep going back to the pub...... It's like I'm drawn to it somehow.

I'm glad I've found SR hopefully the people on here can help me out and provide support.

It's odd, I'm holding down a good job and wife/kid but I've done enough Reading to know that this thing is progresive and will destroy me in the end. I've already started getting shootig pains in my kidneys although these go away if I have a few days on the wagon.

I look forward to chatting with people here on SR as I know I have a massive challenge ahead!

:welcome

Tryin2Survive 04-06-2010 12:10 PM

Im with ya!

Acorn,

Im new to this..my first day on here but im stuck at home allllll day w/ my addiction so I thought Id give this a try! My life just got turned upside down because of my 10 yr opiate addiction..and Im only 2-friggin-7...its pathetic! I just got outta jail bc I stole my best friend's prescription and she turned me in...like a good friend should...but as of Fri night..actually Sat morn I AM SOBER and Iv got SOOOOO many reasons stay that way! It helps to know that others out there are goin through the same HARD HARD time like me! Although Im not an alcoholic, my mother was, as well as my grandfather, so I know sooo much about it and I can relate. It's a disease! But we CAN DO THIS!!!!!! I know we both want it more than ANYTHING! So anyways, I usually dont write THIS much about anything, I just wanted to tell you THANK YOU because you helped me relate and realize Im not the only one out there goin through the same thing at the same time and that there's HOPE!!! Hang in there cuz I know I sure the HELL am!!!

Taking it one day at a time,
Shanell

Dee74 04-06-2010 01:24 PM

Welcome to SR Trying2Survive :)

You'll find a lot of support here,

D

Acorn 04-06-2010 01:55 PM

Hey there tryin, keep in there this place seems really supportive from what I have gathered so far. It sounds like your addiction has caused you considerable trouble in the past, just like mine.

I'm wishing you all the best in your recovery !