Notices

Well, I'm about as new as they come

Old 04-05-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, I'm about as new as they come

I'm not even 24 hours into my first day of sobrierty after a 9 day bender. I would go for 2-3 even 4 weeks at a time then fall of the wagon and do a 3 or 4 day binge but this one was a doosey. I regestered here back in October but didn't really look for help, I need it this time. I have come to the conclusion I can't do this on my own.

I'm in a dark place right now, I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about, not so much a pysical hangover but mental. Don't get me wrong I feel like crap and not even gonna try to eat even though I haven't eaten for 2 days. But it's the mental pyschotic feeling like I'm gonna loose my mind if I don't get a few drinks in me.

The only thing stopping me is I've been here before though not as bad and with some time it will go away.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think I know exactly the 'dark place' you're talking about. Feeling like if I went any lower I'd die. Despair enough to drive me off the edge of sanity.

I'm still new to sobriety, having almost four months, but the improvement in how I feel, physically and emotionally, is so incredible. I wasn't 'living' when I was drinking, just existing to hurt myself. I don't ever want to go back there.

I hope we can help you with support and information to get and stay sober. It's rough at first, but you CAN get thru it and go on to have a good life without all the bad things that can happen from drinking.

I would also suggest that if you're feeling that bad, please get medical help. Withdrawal from alcohol can be dangerous. Please be safe in starting your sober life.

Welcome to SR! We're an awesome recovery resource.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Last Monday was my last drinking day so I've was plumbing those same depths as you are right now less than a week ago.

You know yourself, as, like me, you go for a few weeks without touching it before reverting back to your old ways, that things do get better.

I've had to put the hands up and admit defeat. This is a great place for support and advice.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I still remember the 'dark place' very well.

It's really hard to accept that our lives are unmanageable and that we need to stop and face the problems in order to move forward.\

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Same here hip I've tried numerous times but this time I hope it's the last time I have to go through this. Only 24 hours in but hoping this place will provide me the support I need. I don't think aa is for me as I'm an atheist but this forum seems like a good place to get mutual support.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, hey Frank Barone, I'm actually watch Everybody Loves Raymond right now. Love that show, Ironically it's the one where Debra gets arrested for being drunk and sleeping in her car with the keys in the ignition.

Once again thanks everyone, nice to chat here, the wife won't even look at me let alone talk to me.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey acorn york...i used to live also in that city...beautifull location.. i used to drink the acorn pub and the golden ball..man its a small world..welcome freind.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The Shocking Truth

It's funny how fast my mental health problems started to clear up as soon as I got clean.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hip

you'll find a lot of support here - you're not alone - and you can get through this - so long as you keep moving forward

Keep posting!
D
Old 04-05-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Right now I feel like I'm never gonna get better, puking up milk and I can't stop sweating. I just had to pop a xanax, it was that or a stiff wiskey.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Hip2Bsquare!

I've certainly been where you're at in using a drink to level off the nerves which in turn led to making me feel better which led to 9 day binges over and over again.

Problem is is that what goes up, must come down and each time I did that, the 'coming down' was God-awful.

I know how downright sucky it feels but it will get better. Don't need to tell you that to drink now will just cause you to go thru this again. Even if you don't sleep, rest, rest rest, put a damp cloth on your head, stay hydrated with water (milk is too heavy right now), change your sheets to get the ick feeling out, but hang in there.

I'm pulling for you on this end, Hip. Take good care of yourself.