SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Binge Drinker (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/198187-binge-drinker.html)

WileyOne 04-04-2010 05:18 PM

Binge Drinker

Hi all, this is my first time on this site. I have been binge drinking for about 15 years now and feel its time to stop.

I have told my friends before that i am gonna stop and they say thats what you said last time, but this time im committed. I'm over this life style.

I have stopped before for about 3 weeks and felt great. I noticed my skin look better my wallet was fatter, i dont know why i keep going back. I can go through the week and not have a drink easy but once Friday arvo comes around all i think about is hitting the bottle and hit the bottle I do. I have 15 hour benders. I can't stop. I got kicked out of the racers yesterday. I feel embarressed.

I am usually the first guy my friends ring when they wanna drink i feel i might have to move away to beat this.

Every time I drink i have blackouts spend a **** load of money and feel depressed for a couple of days. I am a strong person. I will prove my friends wrong and I will beat it.

Im looking forward to the challenge.

Dee74 04-04-2010 05:24 PM

Welcome WileyOne :)

You'll find a lot of support here.

I had a pretty hard drinking social circle too - I didn't move away, but I did have to stop seeing them - I found the only thing we really had as a connection was booze.

I did reconnect with a lot of old friends tho - and made a lot of new ones, so I've never regretted the decision to stop drinking - I know you won't either :)

D

CarolD 04-04-2010 05:35 PM

Welcome to our recovery comunity....:wave:

least 04-04-2010 06:15 PM

Welcome to SR! :) There are so many benefits to being sober and few, if any, benefits to drinking. I find this site a great help in staying sober and sane. I hope we can give you the help and information you need.:)

susanlauren 04-04-2010 06:27 PM

WileyOne,
What is your plan to stay sober? I've found that willpower and sheer determination don't work so well. I had to have a program of action.
SusanLauren

SCAMY04 04-04-2010 07:26 PM

I can say this is a great place your friends will support you. Your family should . The people here will you sound just like me exept I drank with myself or my brother I wanted to drink alone alot I thought it was a escape .mY SOCIAL CIRCLE FADDED WHEN I MARRIED HAD CHILDREN GOT OLDER. BUT alcohol was my buddy I THOUGHT .If your friends will not support you they are not your friends period.Stay positive. Find support I have my family my wife who is my best friend. Who never was much of drinker anyway. Emotionally she is very strong.GOD BLESS

WileyOne 04-04-2010 07:31 PM

I dont really have a action plan at the moment. I think that would really help.
I am most vulnerable on the weekend so im gonna try to keep myself busy, start playing sport again, get a new hobby. Set some goals. Try and keep away from my friends who are a bad influence on me.

MahiMahi 04-04-2010 07:38 PM

Welcome to SR WileyOne, congrats on your decision to get sober. I had 20 plus years under my belt of heavy drinking before I figured it out. It was the best decision I have ever made. Hang in there.......

WaterofLife 04-04-2010 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by WileyOne (Post 2560842)
I dont really have a action plan at the moment. I think that would really help.
I am most vulnerable on the weekend so im gonna try to keep myself busy, start playing sport again, get a new hobby. Set some goals. Try and keep away from my friends who are a bad influence on me.

Weekends were similar for me as well, namely because they marked a "safe" time to drink even if I went to the bar with friends first. I've found I was able to counteract it by having planned engagements on Saturday morning (Tennis matches, study sessions, running in the morning) that would preclude a night of heavy drinking the night before. It's amazing to me how powerful an anti-alcohol motivator exercise can be once you make it the new habit in your life.

I'm still new to it. I haven't abused alcohol in over a month and I've been without a drink all week. I feel great.