SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I am not doing too good- then I am.....just me (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/198169-i-am-not-doing-too-good-then-i-am-just-me.html)

dedubya 04-04-2010 11:05 AM

I am not doing too good- then I am.....just me

well- since I consider you all friends. I would like to tell you where I am..
my life is going really good, no complaints- other than being an alcoholic. I kicked coke and H a long time ago, C was the worst (never got full force with H) but I cant believe how easy it was to get rid of that C and how hard it is to quit drinking! I feel like its ok i guess? I dont know. I am wasting everyone's time. But I wanted to post- I get so much inspiration from you all.
Dub

littlefish 04-04-2010 11:53 AM

You aren't wasting our time!
But, I'm intrigued by your statement that your life is going good despite being an alcoholic.

For me, my life wasn't going good because I was an active unrecovered alcoholic.

My life became unmanageable because of alcohol. I watched my life shrink from being one filled with activity, a sense of sureness and direction, to a daily dread of living and an almost paranoid fear of doing the simplest of everyday things.

If I have this right, everything is going okay except for your drinking and drinking hasn't affected the quality of your life? Just respecfully curious, because it doesn't usually work that way...

JohnBonham 04-04-2010 12:20 PM

8 days sober and i have my 1st craving to booze ... we can do it, dude.

Dee74 04-04-2010 01:51 PM

This site exists for people like us Dub. You're not wasting our time.

I wasted a lot of my own time though by thinking my drinking was ok - hey it was legal - everyone drinks right?

I always paid my bills, everyone still liked me. I was a quiet drunk (well mostly but everyone gets loud and drunk sometimes right?)

And hey I wasn't as bad as that drunk, or that poor guy...and at least I wasn't on speed like that guy, or crack or heroin or coke...

and all the while, I was killing myself.

It's possible to leave it behind Dub - you just have to make the jump.
D

Lenina 04-04-2010 02:15 PM

(((Dubs)))

I was all over the place emotionally during early recovery. My moods swung around. I think it's part of the body chemicals getting adjusted. Alcohol really seemed to mess with my moods.

Are you still drinking? I will tell you, it took me some months to stabilize after I quit. I was in therapy and it helped. Having friends in recovery helped too. I had to learn to breathe again.

We are here for me, my friend.

Much love,

Lenina

24hrsAday 04-04-2010 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by dedubya (Post 2560473)
well- since I consider you all friends. I would like to tell you where I am..
my life is going really good, no complaints- other than being an alcoholic. I kicked coke and H a long time ago, C was the worst (never got full force with H) but I cant believe how easy it was to get rid of that C and how hard it is to quit drinking! I feel like its ok i guess? I dont know. I am wasting everyone's time. But I wanted to post- I get so much inspiration from you all.
Dub

There Must Be Some Reason Why You Keep on Visiting Us Here Dubya.. You Can Quit if You Really Want To You Know..

fragrantrose 04-04-2010 03:18 PM

Dear Dub,
You write that "life is good",What negative effects do you have from alcohol?

dedubya 04-04-2010 04:28 PM

hey fragrant
you bring up a great question.
The negatives:
I am sure I dont feel 100% everyday, wds, hangover whatever one would call it
Money spent- a lot
Health- I work out and love to stay in shape, its gone to crap, I still work out and exercise but don't feel like I am used to.
Family- bad role model, period.
I know I can do better....

Now for the positives
I get a 25 minute period of not worrying about things that need handling.

Thats pretty much it. One would think I could add all of this up and come up with a solution....
By the way- you are great, I am following your posts, best wishes to you sincerely.
Dub

Sobertimeforme 04-04-2010 04:32 PM

I am on day four.. you can do it!!

gerryP 04-04-2010 05:18 PM

You do know what the solution is Dub, you just don't want to execute. There is no mystery here.

Lenina 04-04-2010 06:55 PM

(((Dubs)))

That 25 minutes isn't worth it, though, is it? I'm here to tell you even that part goes away. It did for me, I wasn't getting any relief, I was just prolonging the misery. In fact, I was making it all worse.

Keep posting, my friend.

Much love,
Lenina