Notices

easter

Old 04-02-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

easter

its easter and i really want to enjoy it with my children i have been sober a month and a half and a couple a weeks ago i followed advice and seen my doctor he gave me something for anxiety and did liver test and other test my today they called and said my alt 127 and another test was less elevated im really freaking out over this they didnt seem overly concerned but wanted me to have ultra sound to check for gallbladder and fatty liver i freaked i cant sleep i cant get my mind off of it
Old 04-02-2010, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I, too, had blood drawn after I quite drinking (I'm a little over 3 months sober after 30+ years of abuse.) My results came back with 15 values outside the normal ranges. What am I doing? Certainly not freaking! I immediately hopped on a low fat diet and am getting exercise to address some of the problems (Am normal weight for height.) Am drinking lots water...heck I didn't know coffee and beer didn't keep you hydrated! For the other issues: red blood count, iron, thyroid, and phosphate, I'll have to wait until the doctor's appt. on Wed. to understand the test results. I don't know about you, but I've abused myself with nicotine, alcohol, bad diet, and lack of medical care for a long time. The test results are nobody's fault but my own and the best I can do is try to reverse them.

I think you know what you need to do...please stay strong and sober and ENJOY YOUR EASTER!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SCAMY

I've never had the problem as far as I know (back when I quit I was too scared to visit my Dr for several months) but I do know the liver can repair itself to a remarkable degree - I think it must do because mine got a clean bill of health after 20 years of abuse.

Chances are yours will be ok too - if you treat it kindly and stay off the booze.

Worrying about it really does nothing - the result, whatever it is, will be the same no matter how much you obsess over it, right?.

The important thing is to do the right thing from now on.

I know it's hard - but try and relax and enjoy the weekend and your family

D
Old 04-03-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks guys low fat diet and exercise ok
Old 04-04-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

happyhappy easter every one
Old 04-04-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey dee74 in response to you i appreciate you always responding after a little research i found lots of people have these problems i read anytime you drink they go up and it depends but could take some time to come down we will see what the ultra sound shows
Old 04-04-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear you're feeling a little less anxious over it
So long as you do the right things now, I'm sure you'll be fine, Scamy

D
Old 04-04-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Scamy,

I tend to get freaked out by drs appointments in general. My anxiety really kicks in when there's any kind of medical issue and as I'm sure you know, it doesn't help. Try to remember that tests are just tests and they don't decide your fate. Take care of yourself and stay positive and you will be fine.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((Scamy))

I'm not giving medical advice, but I was an RN for years and the liver is a remarkably "forgiving" organ until it is pushed too far. The fact that "they did not seem overly concerned" is a good thing. The ultrasound is standard...gallbladder issues can also cause elevated liver enzymes.

Try not to worry...that just puts stress on OTHER parts of your body. I DO understand being alarmed, but I've seen people with extremely elevated levels and they got them back to normal when they stopped the alcohol or the opiates w/tylenol.

Enjoy your Easter and thank your liver for hanging in there for ya!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-04-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SCAMY04 View Post
its easter and i really want to enjoy it with my children i have been sober a month and a half and a couple a weeks ago i followed advice and seen my doctor he gave me something for anxiety and did liver test and other test my today they called and said my alt 127 and another test was less elevated im really freaking out over this they didnt seem overly concerned but wanted me to have ultra sound to check for gallbladder and fatty liver i freaked i cant sleep i cant get my mind off of it
Health anxiety is a very real and difficult thing to deal with, and it can lead you back to the bottle if you are not careful. Take a deep breath. Doctors run tests because they want to help. Most people know the stress/anxiety that comes with "waiting" for test results. Just focus on your family, and embrace the fact that at this moment you are sober and taking care of yourself. Amazingly, the anxiety itself can do crazy things with your body (raise your blood pressure, cause ulcers). The best thing for you is to relax.

Stay well and God bless!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to every one its hard not to feel anxiety I havnt talked to dr but his nurse told me to he wants me to go ahead with ultra sound I totally AM DONE WITH THE ALCOHOL I ASSURE YOU ALL . I have to much to live for .YET I AM SCARED . I really am gald I found this place.I new in my mind I needed to quit for a couple of years. I always figured Ill stop later. I turned 33 on March 18th . I did not drink every day .I am aware because I wasnt depend on it daily I did weekly thought I deserved to drink hard when i could now how foolish I feel. I feel real stupid I knew better than this . At first how I missed it today easter all my family warm weather use to make me crave it . To day I thought what for why would you do this you have every thing to lose stupid .The nurse wasnt overly concerned I dont no about the doctor havnt talked to him.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Is anxiety seem to be worse at night when your alone or is it just me
Old 04-04-2010, 11:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's pretty common for most of us, scamy.
If you can't sleep, keep reading or posting here for a bit

I find a funny movie or music sometimes helps too
D