Notices

Day 9 and Feeling Fine!

Old 04-02-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Day 9 and Feeling Fine!

It's been an awesome ride this past week+. On Wednesday night, as it approached 11:00, I thought about how exactly 1 week prior I had been taking my final drink. The difference that week has made is phenomenal. It is only by the grace of God (as I understand him), the fellowship and teachings of AA, and the love and support on these boards that I have been able to withstand alcohol, and have done so with a remarkable amount of optimism and joy.

Each meeting I've been to (think I'm up to 21 now in 8 days) has had something I needed to hear, and several of the meeting topics focused on exactly something that had been on my mind. One such topic was epiphanies and revelations. I believe these happen in many different forms. Sometimes, such as the miracle last Thursday that sent me into the AA rooms, it is large and grandiose and smacks you over the head. Other times it may be something quite small, and you may miss it if you're not open-minded and paying attention, but when you do see these they have all the meaning and gravitas of the big ones.

I've experienced several of these the past 8 days. I think it's largely due to the fact that I'm praying to God (as I understand him), but unlike when I used to pray for specific things I wanted, my prayers now revolve around being thankful for the blessings I'm given and asking only that I am used to serve my God's will. I also pray a lot during the day, when I feel myself getting too much into my head or worrying about something that is beyond my control. I pray and ask my God to remove that burden from me and carry it himself. When before I would get very angry and frustrated about things beyond my control, I now realize there's nothing I can do. And when my God shows himself to me in these little epiphanies and revelations, it feels like I am in perfect sync and harmony with the universe.

That's the first part of the Serenity prayer. "God, grant me the wisdom to accept the things I cannot change." When I first started saying that prayer, I would get to the "things I cannot change" part and would think of specific things I couldn't change; my boss's attitude, or traffic, or whatever. But in a meeting the other day a guy said that part of the prayer encompasses all people and things. The second part of the prayer, "Courage to change the things that I can," refers to yourself. In this world, the only thing I can really change is myself. Everything else is beyond my ability to control. And that's been a wonderfully liberating revelation. I used to want to control every detail of every thing, and if things didn't go my way I would get really worked up. Now, I'm just happy to be here and sober.

Beginning to look at the world through new eyes. Couldn't do it without you guys, my program, my sponsor, and my God. Thanks to everyone and keep coming back!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on nine days sober! Living sober IS an awesome ride.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The Shocking Truth

Congratulations Snarf. I am so happy for you.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Excellent progress.....
Old 04-02-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on the progress. Day 9 is great. Keep up the good work it only gets better.

It's nice to be starting to get your life back eh?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go Snarf!

D
Old 04-02-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats! Nine days is AWESOME...keep it up, it only gets better