Notices

Trying Again

Old 04-24-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Red face

I'm thinking of you,,your good friend...Oz..
Old 04-24-2010, 09:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Box, gald you are back! How are you able to stay sober Sunday-Thursday? Would you say you are a binge drinker or are you just fighting back the cravings "for now." It seems like you could build some sobriety off of the 5 days you get starting on Sunday. I assume you don't have much withdrawals?

Regardless, you know you can't get sober sober while you're drinking and your depression will not get better taking a depressant like Alcohol. I would really like for you to inform your family of your situation though. Especially those that you consider safe for you.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2010, 12:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
hypercube

Thanks, ghal.

I'm able to stay sober during the week because I cannot function at work while hungover. Currently I'm fighting back the cravings during the week. I'm not sure where my hangovers end and withdrawal begins. I'm usually paranoid, shaky, sweaty, sore, angry, highly anxious and unable to function after a night drinking (cravings usually kick in again around 3-5pm). After three nights drinking it takes me 3-4 days to start feeling better, just time enough to begin the cycle again.

I've told my mum that I'm an alcoholic. I am yet to tell my father and step-mother.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Box - thanks for your post. I am very new to this forum, and can immediately relate to two things you mentioned. I did a 100 day sober stretch before, 10 years ago. I did it with a combination of AA, rehab, and my own 'free' will - but, i didnt really do what was necessary. Since then i have had nothing close to that amount of time, and have pretty much been on that 5 day (max) cycle. It is hell, i can go for the first five days, but then ill get strong cravings and party for most of the weekend, feel like garbage for the next two or three days, and as soon as i start to feel better, the cycle starts all over again. I found this site, and was able to make it through the weekend - it is now Sunday and i am feeling better than i would otherwise. Good Luck!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

welcome back to SR!! keep posting....
Old 04-29-2010, 01:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
hypercube

Today is the last day of the working week for me - the dreaded 5th day (cue pathos). Instead of going by the bottle shop after work I stopped at a flower stand and bought myself a bunch of brilliant gold gladioli. Coincidentally the common symbolism of the gladiolus flower is strength of character, or moral fortitude.

One day at a time.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Box, welcome back and thank you for sharing your story. I have no where near 100 days and am stressing very much about going home next month, so it was particularly helpful. Good luck getting back to the place where you were; we are here.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congrats to all who have a day under their belt!! Pat yourselves on the back! I am starting Monday, I feel that starting right before the weekend will make it extra hard. At least if I start Monday, I will have 5 days clean before the weekend and I won't want to lose that success!!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just read through this thread Box. Welcome back to SR, although I'm late on that one. What a splendid idea to stop and buy those beautiful flowers. I love flowers and my lilacs are budding right as we speak. I'm so looking forward to taking in that sweet, sweet aroma. Is there anything that you like to cook for yourself that smells extra good? I love to use spices in my food and now that I no longer drink I can really taste the flavors of food. I don't just scarf it down anymore.

What else do you really enjoy doing? Do you like movies, books, window shopping, walks in the country, or anything else? The freedom you will have when you no longer drink is incredible.

Post here if you need help fighting through an urge. I have gotten so much help from just opening my laptop and logging on to this site. I start reading and forget about any cravings. It really has worked.

Again, glad to see you back.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
hypercube

Thanks for your awesome support, everyone. Horselover, I particularly enjoy photography. I have a soft spot for nature:

Old 04-29-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Box, that is a super thing to do for yourself.

And, every time you look at your lovely flowers, you will feel the strength that you have gained.

Good for you!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

box, that is a beautiful picture. professional. you have talent. susanlauren
Old 04-30-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
hypercube

Thank you. Day 7 here. susanlauren, you flatter me. Technically the photo's not all that great, but with continued sobriety I can work on my blurry edges.