Notices

Day 4 (but dreading the long weekend)

Old 04-01-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 (but dreading the long weekend)

It's been an interesting 4 days. Can't say it was all that difficult. Mostly kept busy with work and for whatever reason was much more tired earlier than ever. Was hitting the rack about 8:30pm every night. (Of course would then wake up around 2am and take awhile to get back to sleep. All in all not a bad week.
Physically could almost feel my body cleansing itself of the toxins. Didn't get any shakes.
Emotionally was alternately scared, hopeful, proud, happy, thankful, blue, edgy, irritable, experienced great joy in simple things like just looking at my kids, experienced great annoyance when their whining became too much - so really a whole gamut of emotions.

Anyway, here we are late on Thursday afternoon right before a three-day weekend. I'm afraid to leave the office.
Three day weekends are a big time "trigger" for me ("It's party time!"). The sun is shining, it is almost like June weather up here in the North country which only makes it that much tougher. Ordinarily, I would be looking forward to grabbing a nice cosmo with wife or a cold beer at home. Now, I know that isn't going to happen but, I still have a strong craving and a sense of panic both of which seem only to be growing and the weekend hasn't even started and it is just supposed to get nicer and nicer out as the weekend progresses.

What am I going to do??? I worry that I am going to not make it through the weekend or I may crack and just say "okay, only one" which I probably could stick to but, I'd still feel lousy that I'd broken my no drinking promise to myself.

Any advice for a newby on how to handle these types of challenging situations?

jack
Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there

Originally Posted by jackfrost View Post
It's been an interesting 4 days. Can't say it was all that difficult. Mostly kept busy with work and for whatever reason was much more tired earlier than ever. Was hitting the rack about 8:30pm every night. (Of course would then wake up around 2am and take awhile to get back to sleep. All in all not a bad week.
Physically could almost feel my body cleansing itself of the toxins. Didn't get any shakes.
Emotionally was alternately scared, hopeful, proud, happy, thankful, blue, edgy, irritable, experienced great joy in simple things like just looking at my kids, experienced great annoyance when their whining became too much - so really a whole gamut of emotions.

Anyway, here we are late on Thursday afternoon right before a three-day weekend. I'm afraid to leave the office.
Three day weekends are a big time "trigger" for me ("It's party time!"). The sun is shining, it is almost like June weather up here in the North country which only makes it that much tougher. Ordinarily, I would be looking forward to grabbing a nice cosmo with wife or a cold beer at home. Now, I know that isn't going to happen but, I still have a strong craving and a sense of panic both of which seem only to be growing and the weekend hasn't even started and it is just supposed to get nicer and nicer out as the weekend progresses.

What am I going to do??? I worry that I am going to not make it through the weekend or I may crack and just say "okay, only one" which I probably could stick to but, I'd still feel lousy that I'd broken my no drinking promise to myself.

Any advice for a newby on how to handle these types of challenging situations?

jack
If you feel the least bit that you will crack and have "just one" (which if you're like me might as well read 1 12-pack), avoid temptation as much as possible. I kept myself busy and didn't set foot in a bar for nearly 2 months. It might sound funny, but my best friend and I subsituted Starbucks for the bar and I found out we were doing the same thing there - hanging out and talking, just without me getting loud and stumbling around. Unfortunately there are no tv's at a coffee shop so I watched all my games at home and had friends over who were ok without boozing it up. I even waited 3 weeks before going to anything where I knew there would be a lot of alcohol and heavy drinking going on. That "maiden voyage" can be hell (was for me) when you're in the moment, but the overwhelming feeling that you can do it will be incredible. It's totally cliche but take it one day at a time and you'll get through it. Be creative and stay strong!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jack. I live here in the Northeast as well and just passed my 30 day mark. I too have always loved a cold beer on a warm day. Just the thought of it makes my mouth water. But I found by taking a frosty mug out of the freezer and filling it with ginger ale, or root beer (or whatever your non alcoholic favorite) can satisfy you. Maybe even squueze in a lime. I think just having the cold, icy mug can put you in the state of relaxation so you don't even miss the alcohol.

Stay strong, good luck. The good news is Spring has arrived in NE!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Jackfrost, if you "probably could stick to" "just one," then what is the purpose of your attempt to quit drinking? I know if I had enough control over myself to just drink 1 beer, I would not see the need to stop drinking. But that's not how I'm wired.

I believe I need to give up drinking for several reasons (I tried the moderation technique and that worked for a little while but, I got complacent and slipped back into old habits).
Old 04-01-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had to make big changes in my thinking early in sobriety. I was a home-alone-drinker so had no fear of bars or boozing friends, but I did have to alter my way of thinking. Any time I had cravings I had to remind myself of why I quit and how badly I didn't want to go back there.

For some, willpower isn't enough. Some sort of structured recovery program may be helpful. AA gives you a lot of sober contacts to call if you're in a rough spot. I use SR in the same way. I come here to vent or talk or ask questions and it helps me stay sober.

Be strong. You can get thru this long weekend sober and will feel so good for it.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

My advice, what worked for me, was shaking up the routine. Make this long weekend different from others in the past, by doing something totally different. The weather is great here too, so how about a long hike, a picnic, some local sight-seeing, a good movie - basically anything that you wouldn't normally have done on a long weekend.

You can do this!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all

Thanks for all your feedback. Leaving the office now. Let the weekend begin! Going to be brave and try to do things differently this time around.
have a nice holiday everyone,

jack
Old 04-01-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just stay in the day Jack - it's not a long weekend, it's 4 days - just try and do today what you did yesterday.

I found it helpful to 'play the tape through' - the one drink though is very persuasive...but think about where that 'one drink' may lead...

I know with me, it won't be scintillating conversation and a night to remember...I'd drink until I fell down, after having embarrassed myself multiple ways, and wake up tomorrow not exactly sure of what I'd done...

play the tape through...to the end.
D
Old 04-01-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

If we only drank on 3 day weekends, most of us wouldn't be here. They're just days.. and excuses, ya know?

You'll need to know what to do in regards to sobriety and recovery in much more difficult situations than a long weekend

Just stay in the moment, find new things to do..

You wont wake up on Monday thinking how great it was that you drank all weekend.. right? I've never regretted not drinking.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

being new to this too im finding that the more I talk or communicate with people has helped me through the hardest times. Day 5 now and getting stronger by the day. I am off uni for another 2 weeks and have so much time to fill atm but im finding just being on here, fb, my mobile (im fearing my next bill lol) or just with friends is really helping me. I am taking it one day at a time and keep telling myself I am in a fight with this addiction everyday, and everyday that I win makes me that little bit stronger than the addiction!!! Keep the faith and Im sure you will beat your addiction too!!!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My first weekends i made myself a to-do list that included fun things like looking at photos from my daughter's wedding as well as tasks that I've been meaning to get to. Whenever that itchy, restless feeling started, i pulled out the list. Also coming here and checking out the forums is great reinforcement to stick with it. Good luck, you can do it! Stay strong!
Old 04-02-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Hey Jack, congrats on your start! I am in agreement here with Smacked. Depending on how you look at it, no time is a good time to quit drinking, and any time is a good time to quit drinking! You will probably not find a time that suits you and more than any other because our society and our culture really does not allow for it. It's YOU that needs to change, not the world, or it's inhabitants, or the length of the weekends, or the order of the holidays. The question is can you find a way to exist in the world AS IT IS and not drink? I think you can because I have seen that it's possible for both myself and others.

How?

Perseverance. Education. Information. Determination. Camaraderie. Encouragement. These are but a few of the things you will need to be successful. Some you already posses, others you may need to acquire or sharpen but you've come to the right place and I think you will do just fine. Take it a day at a time. Don't drink, and watch your whole life change for the better as you become the best person you can be, sober.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hear what you are saying. Instead of looking at the whole weekend. Say to yourself today. That you will stay sober until this time tomorrow and then tomorrow say the same thing. I will make a deal with you I will do the same. If you break the weekend up and do it day by day. It will be easier. You are going to have to try to not put yourself in social situations that are tempting. I would spend some extra time on this forum to encourge yourself. There is plenty of sopport. Think about how good you will feel when the weekend it over and you did not drink. I wish you the best of luck and know that there is support out there and people who care.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

1 day at a time. I pray to my God every morning (works for me, but to each his own) that he will keep me sober until I go to sleep at night. Just tell yourself when you wake up that when your head hits the pillow tonight, no alcohol will have touched your lips. Tell this to yourself all day, and make it happen. Then tomorrow, do the same thing.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

I like what Smacked said -- weekend days are just like any other days, so really they are just excuses for us to drink.

I try to find other activities that will get me out of the house and active. This helps to fill the time and keeps temptation away.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Thanks for all your feedback. Leaving the office now. Let the weekend begin! Going to be brave and try to do things differently this time around.
have a nice holiday everyone,

jack
How did it go Jack, still sober? Keep us updated, please. We are all here to help if we can.