Notices

New Here

Old 04-28-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Well done Franky, from reading your posts you actually are my drinking doppelganger!!! It's freaky!! Same age and all. Anyway congratulations man.
Hail, Hail!!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Cool thread. Its motivating to read posts of others' success. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Day 33 today. Still feeling good but tonight is the first time I'm gonna be around drinkers for an extended period of time. My not drinking is going to bring some questioning my way but I know I'm strong enough to ride that out and stay sober.

I love being sober.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Right on Frank you can do this
Old 05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Well, tomorrow will be Day 40. Now I know how Jesus felt in the desert all those years ago. To be fair to the Devil though, he's been fairly quiet in the old trying to tempt me business - he musn't be that bad a guy after all!

Managed to spend an hour or so in a bar with a friend the other night and had no inclination to booze whatsoever.

Also managed to get to the first football match I've attended since I've been in recovery and walking up the stadium a thought struck me: Drunk people can be pretty f***ing intimidating.

Also, I managed to resolve something that had been playing with my mind for a few months. Whilst on a bender back in February, I'd seen one of my neighbours walk past the house with, what I thought was, an eagle perched on his arm. We live in a built up estate so that's quite irregular. Anyway, after coming off the drink I couldn't decide if the 'eagle' incident had actually happened or if it had been a dream and it's 'preyed' on my mind ever since.

Until tonight.

I just happened to come across my neighbours Facebook page and sure enough there he is with a big evil looking bird on his arm and under his interests section is the word 'Falconry'.

I thought I was losing my marbles but alas I was not. Well, maybe a little.

Frank.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

Life begins at 40 FB
The eagle would have freaked me out too

Congratulations on your sober time.

D
Old 05-08-2010, 02:38 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hey Frank, sorry for the belated congrats. I think it's great that you're at the point where you can tell people you're in recovery, and not just taking a few days or a week off.
Hmmmm...interesting question. After 40 days, is that when we can officially proclaim we're in recovery?
Old 05-08-2010, 02:56 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone lay down rules for that, Marlow.

I guess for myself I feel I'm in recovery when I'm not drinking, and I'm more than happy about that - it's the way I want to be.

D
Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Great update, Frank . Glad you are doing so well
Old 05-09-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Currently filling in a job application and having a ponder over the old 'Reasons For Leaving' your last employment question. Now, I don't think 'I was so f**cked up after a five day cider binge that I had neither the physical nor mental strength to call in sick and so was fired for gross misconduct' would be a very productive answer.

I think this is a situation where it's perfectly justifiable to fabricate a story rather than allow some anonymous HR person a look into the very pit of my soul but I'm also mindful of the fact that it could be more problematic should the truth come out at a later date.

So what have you guys done in the past to get round this potential banana skin? Do I tell the truth or a heavily censored version of it?

All advice, thoughts and ideas appreciated as usual.

F.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:22 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Just about to go and see that mate of mine I refered to a earlier in the thread and issue that apology that I owe him. I've known the guy all my life yet I'm more nervous now than I've ever been about anything. I'm sweating and shaking - it's like I've come full circle, Ha Ha! I know after I've dealt with this, no matter the outcome that I'll have a weight off my shoulders so I'm just gonna have to suck it up taking comfort in the knowledge that in an hour or two another step on the journey will have been taken.

Here's hoping that he's the forgiving sort.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:26 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi Frank. Good to hear from you again!

You are doing well mate. Making amends for previous actions is all part of a healthy recovery and is essential for maintaining healthy sobriety. Regardless of the outcome, feel proud that you faced your demons and didn't just shy away into another drink.

I think you are doing well mate. If you never drink again then you also won't have to get yourself into these type of situations again too!

All The best.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:35 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're doing great, Frank. Let us know how your meeting goes. How did the job app go?

Nellie
Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Well, that was a worry for nothing altogether. Went in and he just started talking away to me as if nothing had happened. Delivered my apology and he told me to forget it and that he was glad that I'd finally gotten round to getting myself sorted. Phew!!!

Still waiting to hear about the job, Nellie. Thanks for asking.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Nice one Frank. Keep on keeping on!

Have a great sober weekend mate. I have been off work since Wednesday and it's remarkable. I never thought I would be able to have a stretch of time where I was contented and happy without thinking about how I could have been getting smashed!

It's really great man, this sobriety lark!

All The Best Mate. Peace.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your daily experiences here on this board. Make sure you start working the steps and have a sponsor. From my experience, if I have to make amends to others and don't get that stuff out, the other stuff creeps back in.
Congrats to you on your new journey.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Had 50+ days under my belt before caving and have kicked about for the last two months playing a starring role in my own personal disaster movie.

Had a few pints yesterday, kept things pretty civilised and staved off this mornings temptation to go back out. A conscious decision has now been made that today is as good a day as any to be Day One again. Here's hoping this one sticks. Changes have to be made, lessons have to be learned and hard work has to be the order of the day. So here goes.....
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hiya Frank good job for your progress keep it up buddy
Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hey FrankBarone.

Good to see you back again mate.

Drinking just doesn't work for an alkie. Bad stuff inevitably follows.

peace
Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

been der don dat..best of luck Frank..had a small blip myself..over a week ago..right back on the case now though...