Notices

New Here

Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I hoped you would take it that way and not that I was throwing it in your face. If you knew me you would know I would never do that. Its just something that has helped me really recently.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Frank I'm going to be in your same situation soon. As you said, conditions are optimal for a huge bender. I suggest you go spend the money on having as fun a day as possible without booze. Whatever it is you like, rent some dvd's get a pizza, buy a game, go to a movie, whatever floats your boat. Get some endorphins into you, I think that's important.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Yeah, that would be a good idea but I think tomorrow will be a case of battening down the hatches until the storm passes, Ronan.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Do what you gotta do FrankBarone. Sometimes them hatches have just gotta be battened down!! Gotta be done at times.

Just remember that your mates probably aren't alcoholics. I empathise with you mate and can relate. Try to keep your thinking concerned with whats best for you and try not to worry about what others are doing. I haven't read your story but i can imagine you're here for a reason. Think where those beers at the footy will take you mate. I can relate to the lifestyle mate. It is truly a UK male thing. Mine is more music based but also used to enjoy watching the footy and getting wrecked. Everybody seems to be doing it on a weekend in UK. It's an easy and enjoyable recreational activity, but it comes at a heavy price for an alcoholic.

Keep your thoughts firmly rooted in the present and remember what will happen when you wake up not remebering how you got home, what you did/said etcetc. Not good.

These are the things that have to be overcome if you want to stay sober and start on a new path in life. This is why most people revert back to their old 'easy' ways again.

Just don't pick up and you'll get through it and post lots on SR. It really helps me and has helped me through similar situations.

All the best mate, peace
Old 04-16-2010, 10:59 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrankBarone View Post

I've a knot in my stomach, can't sit at peace or concentrate and have a general feeling that my head's ready to burst. This is all because I know that my mates are heading to the football tomorrow and then out on the beer and that I have a few quid burning a hole in my pocket - optimum conditions usually for the start of a genuinely unintended bender.

F.
Please don't put yourself in this situation with your mates, don't go.
I know that for me in my early sober days, I could not and would not put myself around alcohol, way too tempting for me, I always gave in.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

So I got through the weekend OK. Dodged a bullet by not going to the football on Saturday and then managed out for a meal last night and quite enjoyed myself.

Today, I've felt increasingly restless as the day's went on. I'd set today aside to go and rectify a situation that came about during my last bender but as the day's gone on, I couldn't bring myself to leave the house and go and see this friend of mine who I've let down. I've let him down in a big way as he was trying to do me a favour and I've not lived up to my side of the bargain. I've told myself that I'll go tomorrow and sort things out but I can't be sure given how I've acted today.

I'm also weary of the possibility that if I go and sort some of my stuff out (basically I've been deliberately incomunicado for the last three weeks as I try to get sober) I might start to feel 'good' again and travel that well trodden path back to 'controlled' drinking. I'm not sure if I'm deliberately leaving some issues unaddressed in order that I keep myself 'down' so to speak, in the hope that the retention of this melancholic feeling will, somewhat paradoxically given that a lot of people drink when they feel bad or down about something, keep me away from alcohol.

Does the point that I'm trying to make in the third paragraph there make sense to anyone else? (It is clumsily put together on reflection).

As usual, all advice appreciated.

F.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

hey Frankie sounds to me your holdin up pretty well...in the maelstrom of alcoholism ...
wish i could say the same fella...nah man doin roughly 2 weeks abstinate then a few days back on..not a way to go at all...keep the good work up fella your settin a fine example...i wish to follow best regards frank.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kerbcrawler View Post
hey Frankie sounds to me your holdin up pretty well...in the maelstrom of alcoholism ...
wish i could say the same fella...nah man doin roughly 2 weeks abstinate then a few days back on..not a way to go at all...keep the good work up fella your settin a fine example...i wish to follow best regards frank.

Yeah, ten days off, four or five days on is my usual drinking shift pattern as well. Not good.

Cheers for the support.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome FB! It looks like you are doing pretty well! Nice job.
Take things slowly, one day at a time.
There will be a time for amends and you may very well need to make some as you go along your days, but do not rush yourself.
I am sure your friends will be happy to see that your intentions are pure as you struggle to stay sober, one day at a time.
A living amends is always better than words. And that is where to keep your thoughts today.
You have no control over the past, but the future is up to you.
Keep up the good work!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

yeah good goin frank...you bein scottish an all..i know you got a good sense of humour...
best regards...keep it goin all the best...
Old 04-21-2010, 04:48 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Dangerously bored today.

This is exactly the kind of day where I would go up to the pub 'just to see who was in' and not get back 'til closing, remembering virtually nothing of my day and then fighting with my Girlfriend for waking her up and talking incoherrent nonsense to her down the phone.

I need to find a new release.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewBeginning010 View Post
Don't worry about the spiritual/god part of AA in the beginning. Your higher power can be anything that you want it to be, even your desire to quit drinking.

I have tried and failed many times trying to beat alcohol, I have finally admitted my powerlessness and that I needed a support group to beat this thing. Right now it is AA and working the steps. So far so good my friend.

I wish you all of the best in your recovery, stay close to SR.

Yes to this. You need not identify with spirituality in the early phases. I have a friend who had a problem with this at first and she always said she finally prayed to whoever/whatever it was that was keeping her sponsor sober, to keep her sober too.

Any support, even support you don't seem to relate to at first, is better than trying to do it alone.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

28 days today. Four whole weeks. How good does not having a hangover feel? No dry mouth, no paranoia, no cringeing like a tourettes sufferer every time some imagined flashback enters your mind. Fantastic!

Made some proactive moves on the job front today and will hopefully hear some good news tomorrow. Feeling fit, things are starting to make sense with no alcoholic cloud engulfing my thoughts and we're another step along the road of recovery. What a change from the crying, shaking wretch I saw in the mirror nearly a month ago.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Nice one mate!! 28 days sober!!

Keep on keeping on!! Remember how good you feel now!! More rewarding than a fleeting drunk.

Peace
Old 04-26-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations FB!

D
Old 04-26-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Great job Frank. You're story was the one first one I read when I found this site two weeks ago, so I've been following and rooting for you along the way. Keep up the good work, you're inspiring me!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Awesome update, Frank! So good to read that you are doing so well
Old 04-26-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Hannitized

I'll keep bumping this because it a good way of articulating my thoughts, letting off steam and generally keeping track of progress so far.
When I first started this journey, writing helped me so much! KEEP POSTING! And good luck!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

So day 30's nearly over. Was out at an election hustings and then actually ventured in to my local to see a few mates and catch the end of the football on TV. Only stayed for twenty minutes tops and had no temptation to booze but I'll not be making too much of a habit of returning to the scene of so many of my drinking crimes in the coming months.

I'm glad to be sober today.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

So day 30's nearly over. Was out at an election hustings and then actually ventured in to my local to see a few mates and catch the end of the football on TV. Only stayed for twenty minutes tops and had no temptation to booze but I'll not be making too much of a habit of returning to the scene of so many of my drinking crimes in the coming months.

I'm glad to be sober today.
Great to hear you're still going strong, mate!