SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Newbie With Questions (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/197827-newbie-questions.html)

Womble 03-30-2010 04:17 PM

Newbie With Questions

Hi,

I stumbled across this forum while looking for answers to my drinking problems.

I have spent the last year stumbling in and out of aa. I have only drunk 24 days out of the last 350, but am on a 4 day drinking run at the moment.

I don't want to go back to aa if I can find another way, I just don't get the "unmanageability' "Insanity" bits.

Most of all I cannot accept that the answer to all my problems is the turn my life over to a God of my understanding.

If I don't get it, I just dont get it, its not something I can fake.

I want to be sober....I have a serious stomach disease that is compouned by drinking, but I don't seem to be able to stop.

How can this forum help someone like me?

Lenina 03-30-2010 04:21 PM

Wombie,

Welcome! SR is a great place for education and support. Have you looked into SMART or Rational Recovery?

Love,

Lenina

Anna 03-30-2010 04:32 PM

Hi and Welcome!

You will find lots of support here and information too, and a variety of ways to stop drinking. I think the main thing to remember is that alcoholism is a symptom. The alcohol itself is not the problem. The problems are within you and in recovery you need to deal with those problems.

I am not an AA person, but my life was insanity and completely unmanageable. I was doing the same thing over and over again (trying to control my drinking) and expecting a different result - insanity.

HumbleBee 03-30-2010 04:38 PM

Welcome!

This forum is full of great people who share their experiences and offer support for those who want to help themselves.

AA is not for everybody - it's your life and your choice to explore recovery programs that work for you. There's alot of information on alternative recovery methods throughout the forums here on SR.

Personally, I got sober with the help of a counselor who has been in recovery for a long time himself, along with having professional training in alcoholism treatment.

I don't know if you're an alcoholic. You'll see that how much or how often one drinks doesn't necessarily define someone as one - it's more about the negative consequences that alcohol has on our lives yet we still continue to drink.

The great thing about SR is that many of us here could've written your post and it's important to have support from people who understand where you're at. Look forward to hearing more from you!

Dee74 03-30-2010 05:01 PM

Hi Womble

This forum is open to anyone is dealing, or who wants to deal, with their, or a loved one's, substance abuse :)

You'll find a lot of support here.

You'll also find a lot of people sharing their experience.

I'm not an AAer, but I've found if you approach things here by looking for whatever you can use from that collective experience, you'll be doing the very best for yourself :)

D

Womble 03-30-2010 05:37 PM

Thank you for the messages of support, since I posted I have had an emotional breakdown, I have only drunk for the last 4 days and its been hell.

I verbally abused my wife last night whilst drunk, I can now recall all my absurd behaviour traits that I display while I am drinking, suddenly I feel I actually am powerless, and why do I knowingly try to poison myself , Doctors have told me time over that drinking alcohol is like drinking acid as far as my stomach is concerned, doing just that proves I am insane, a sane person would not do that. My Wife was so supportive, I cried ..I told her I just can't carry on like this, I want my sober life back, so I am going to an aa meeting in an hour, I am dreading once again having to declare myself a newcomer for the 6th time in a year ...I am in so much anguish and mental pain, but I just HAVE to go.

Am I doing the right thing?

Love you guys already

coffeenut 03-30-2010 05:40 PM

Welcome to SR. Please explore the site...lots of good people here! Many of us don't use AA...it's not a prerequisite. :)

Anna 03-30-2010 05:43 PM

What I know is, you need to do whatever it takes. Never give up because this disease is relentless.

HumbleBee 03-30-2010 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Womble (Post 2556155)
I am going to an aa meeting in an hour, I am dreading once again having to declare myself a newcomer for the 6th time in a year ...I am in so much anguish and mental pain, but I just HAVE to go.

Am I doing the right thing?

Love you guys already

I think trying AA again is great - don't get hung up on the lingo - just go to be with like people who understand what you're going through.

When I went, I found people there to be more supportive of those who continue to try, whether it was 6 or 20 times in a year. Whatever it takes.

The only failure is in giving up. Continue trying, it's a sign of strength in doing whatever it takes to live in recovery.

People will understand and want to help you. Please let us know how it goes. Sending good thoughts your way. It'll be ok.

HumbleBee 03-30-2010 05:57 PM

P.S. We love you too.

least 03-30-2010 07:04 PM

Welcome to SR! :grouphug: I hope we can help you to find peace in a sober life. :) Lots of information and support here, read our stories and ask your questions. This is a good place to hang out.

EliotRosewater 03-30-2010 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Womble (Post 2556101)

Most of all I cannot accept that the answer to all my problems is the turn my life over to a God of my understanding.

If I don't get it, I just dont get it, its not something I can fake.

You and I are on the same page. I went to my first and only AA meeting last week and I walked away with your sentiments. I'll say that there are other AA meetings? What I mean is. I saw a private-practice Alcohol & Other Drugs counseler once for my drinking and he presented me with a whole bunch of meetings that were AA, yes, but tailored (supposedly) to a certain type of person. (Single, married, men, women, old, young, gay, straight, religious, not religious - that sort of thing.) I went to a meeting that is a few blocks from my apartment just because it was close, but, I intend to check out one of the one's that may be closer suited to my situation, my life.

So hopefully I get to one of those sooner than later.

Yours in AA procrastination (of course, due to alcoholism),

Eliot

Womble 03-31-2010 12:47 AM

I went to the 9am meeting. Only 7 people there, but I was welcomed back.

I don't know what it was about clicking on this forum 8 hours ago that has made me wanna quit again....some kind of magic seems to be at work, and I don't care, I hope to spend the rest of the day sober.

Thank you one and all for your kind and helpful support

Womble

HumbleBee 03-31-2010 07:23 AM

Glad to hear the meeting went well, Womble.

I know what you mean about the 'magic' - I don't question it either - I just say 'thank you' out loud and do something with that guidance.

Explore this site, read stories about alcoholism and people's experiences - it's calming to know we're not alone.

A great book is "Chicken Soup for the Recovering Soul." It's full of short, real-life life stories from people who are on this amazing journey.

Keep coming back it works; Don't go away, it works even better. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...cons/icon7.gif

keithj 03-31-2010 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Womble (Post 2556101)
I don't want to go back to aa if I can find another way, I just don't get the "unmanageability' "Insanity" bits.

Hi Womble. Whether you accept AA's program or not is entirely up to you. Others on this forum have stopped drinking by other means. The unmanageabilty and insanity part is very easy to understand.

You have been trying to quit drinking for the past year and have not been successful.

You are on a 4 day runner.

You have a serious stomach condition and are still drinking.

To my mind, all of that sounds pretty unmanageable and insane. It was only when I became convinced that I could not stay sober, after much effort at trying, that I became willing to accept AA's program of recovery.

The program of recovery is the 12 Steps. I wanted nothing to do with a spiritual solution, and I started those steps as a staunch atheist. But what was I to do? I had a solid Step 1 experience of being unable to stay sober, despite the most sincere desire to not drink. My choice was, keep trying and failing, or accept spiritual help. I only did that because I saw it work for others. I took those 12 Steps, had a spiritual awakening, and recovered.

I haven't had a drink since. I have a life beyond my dreams.

I didn't follow AA's program because I wanted to, I followed it because there was nothing left for me except to continue drinking.

I believe that AA's program of recovery can work for anyone that is willing to surrender to it. I've seen it work for everyone that has sincerely taken the actions suggested.

NewMe11109 03-31-2010 08:58 AM

Hi Wombie -

The key for me was just being open-minded to all the different approaches that might help. This was all new to me, so everything felt strange and uncomfortable (whether it was AA's spiritual solution or other approaches).

When I had moments of clarity, I always went back to the following question of myself: "So NewMe, how is your method working for you?" When I responded honestly, it was clear that my method wasn't working.

So, I decided to ignore my immediate flight/flight repsonse and just relax and try some other approaches.

I found that how I liked AA was dependent on the specific meeting group I went to. The overall program ended up being great, but I had to spend some time to find the right group.

But, in the end, it is up to you what you do. Just please be willing to listen to others who have been successful in recovery. They have a lot to offer.

smacked 03-31-2010 10:52 AM

A lot of people here got and stayed sober with the help of a program like AA, lots of us used different methods, like me.

What you'll find here is tons of support, understanding and friendship.

Welcome to SR!

NewBeginning010 03-31-2010 11:34 AM

Hi Womble :You_Rock_ Just wanted to wish you the best in your recovery. I am new to AA and have been working my way around the different types of meeting as well as different groups close to me. It is amazing how different each group is. I have recently found a few that I am really enjoying.

Lots of people seem to get hung up on the spiritual aspect of it all, I hear of some peoples HP being all sorts of things (jewelery box, the beach, their desire to quit, a tree etc.). Its the steps & working them with someone you trust/can work with that makes the difference. Along with listening to other peoples experience & sharing yours ;-)

All of the best in your recovery & stay close to SR, there are lots of great people who get what you are going through.

Take Care,

NB :welcome

pinkgurl87 03-31-2010 12:35 PM

Welcome to SR! Give AA a chance I know it's help a lot of alkis to recover. Good luck hope you can become sober!!

Womble 04-01-2010 12:33 AM

Thnx for the supportive messages.

I have come to a very enlightened conclusion regarding my drinking after a long coversation with my eldest son today.
I think I am fortunate that I had that relapse. The last month I have been really struggling not to pick up, by giving in, just for 4 days has taught me that
I AM powerless over alcohol. I only thought I would drink one night, but once I started I could not stop, the last night I drank (Tuesday) I was already in pain (as I suffer from a disease called Ulcerative Colitis).....but I cold not help myself but to pick up, and drink till the pain subsided.
The following morning when I found this forum, I was still in denial, but something happened. I realised that I was going to kill myself if I carried on, so I got on my knees, prayed, then balled my eyes out. (sad isn't it?) I then understood with claity ...what sane person would do what I had done,? It's like banging your head against a brick wall thinking it won't hurt you, thats insanity!!

Suddenly I feel free....I know and have heard enough about the aa programme in the 12 years I have been in and out of it to realise that what so many people have told me can come true, I have been in denial of the possibility of a higher power....now it appears that hp has rewarded me for my efforts, even though it came about in a strange way. I have always done service, helped others, done whats suggested...but just never "Got It" ....but I think that now I have, and now maybe I can move on with my life without being in constant fear of the monster lurking within, I feel liberated......and much of that came from coming here yeterday morning, why ? I have no idea, and it does not really matter.....God moves in mysterious ways indeed.!
Thank you for being here for me, I will always be here for u guys too

I wish you all peace and serenity

Womble